Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Hmmm...well it was for aiangel, but thank urbanlemur. I thought that was in the gospels. Ya never know what you don't know, eh?

Any luck finding the one about not letting others in your home? I'd wish I had time to dig that one out. Would like to look at it in this thread's context, ya know?
I think it is 1 John 1:10, Alpha. And my take is that it refers to someone teaching something to the gospel, as opposed to just visiting. I'll have to look more at it later. I'm at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
Earlier posts in this thread said that Christians should condemn other viewpoints that don't believe in Christian tenets.

That doesn't seem much like a live and let live philosophy.

A lot of posts here seem to think that believing in Jesus is under attack, and in this thread, that has not been evident at all!

The "I am right. You are wrong" attitude is rather rude (hey, aren't we all right?), arrogant, and vitriolic. Condemning non-Christian viewpoints is not peaceful. And yet, people are arguing that they will not compromise their views at all.

The world has enough closed minds.

I don't condemn your religion. Why condemn mine?

I don't tell you that your views are wrong. Why tell me that mine are wrong?

A very famous religious teacher/philosopher named Hillel once said, "Do not do unto others what is distasteful unto you."
No, Christianity is not "a live and let live" philosophy. It really isn't. As Alpha posted earlier, if you believe in heaven and hell, it really isn't love not to try to share what you believe to be the truth with them. Now if they don't care to hear it or believe otherwise, we don't need to "shove it down their throats." As Alpha also said in his post, "There is a right way and a wrong way to share the gospel."

Old 07-18-2007, 12:51 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
,,,"But the scripture is: 1 Corinthians 15:33 "Bad company corrupts good morals." NASB

Here we have a good example why people get so many differing thoughts about Bible study.

My King James Bible, I Corinthians 15-33 state, " Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners."

Not exactly the same thing in my opinion.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,063 times
Quote:
Any luck finding the one about not letting others in your home? I'd wish I had time to dig that one out. Would like to look at it in this thread's context, ya know?
You're close kaykay...it is 2 John 1:10.
"If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds."

Old 07-18-2007, 12:55 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I think it is 1 John 1:10, Alpha. And my take is that it refers to someone teaching something to the gospel, as opposed to just visiting. I'll have to look more at it later. I'm at work.
Well, you guys once again get me derailed from my job!!

<It is OK to blame you right, because I sure wouldn't want to have to blame myself>

Here's the scripture I was thinking of:

Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him. Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.

That's II John 1:9-11 Emphasis added, mine.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
"If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds."
Yes, thanks, urban, that is what I meant. I was in a hurry and misposted!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
sorry, saw this after I has posted.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

<Emphasis mine>

Your quote may have been off by a book, but your interpretation is right on.

And I have had people of other faiths in my home.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Well, you guys once again get me derailed from my job!!

<It is OK to blame you right, because I sure wouldn't want to have to blame myself>

Here's the scripture I was thinking of:

Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him. Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.

That's II John 1:9-11 Emphasis added, mine.
Actually, another Christian poster and I discussed this on another thread a couple of months ago. I was of the opinion, again, that this implies a "teacher" not just anybody, but the person I was discussing it with wasn't so sure it was limited to that. What do you guys think?

Old 07-18-2007, 01:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovejazz View Post
I could also argue that Jesus' teachings contradict what was written in the Torah, and the Torah was written first.

BUT -- that would start a fight.

Do you see where this is going if everyone says that only he is right?

I only wish several people here would treat others the way they wish to be treated. I cannot imagine what would happen if Jews started knocking on doors and telling others that their views go against G-d.
Of course...but I'm tip toeing around what I believe so as not to incite another full scale religion forum riot.

Ah, forget it--might as well be honest.

I should point out that I am only trying to explain where my fellow believers come from, but it is not where I come from. The thing is, I will agree with them that there is only one universal truth and way to God. But I believe that Jesus is this way and that it is through Him we will all someday be reconciled to our Creator. In addition I think there are other spiritual paths one can take in this life that, while not God's perfect will (which is to know Him though His Son in this life and walk in the blessings that this brings), are still capable of producting certain levels of spiritual development. God knows that many will not walk in the Way that He has given them and has given us warnings that there will be an age of correction after this life before being brought back to Himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity