Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Mat 10:39 He who is finding his soul will be destroying it, and he who destroys his soul on My account will be finding it.
Yes this is true Eusebius. According to the New Living Translation. Mat. 10:39 is telling us that if you cling to your life, you will lose it; BUT IF YOU GIVE UP YOUR LIFE FOR ME, YOU WILL FIND IT. Giving up your life means you are going to follow Jesus and not the ways of the world. Jesus was not telling His followers to kill themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 PM

33,334 posts, read 26,552,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, cleaving body from spirit...the word in mat 10:28 is psuche witch mean spirit...breath...I really think that you should study the hebrew thoughts on this...it could really help your understanding...
http://www.dyordy.com/PDFVersion/Nou...wTestament.pdf

As has been made clear, the soul survives the death of the body. Mainstream Christianity recognizes this. There are various cults who believe in soul sleep. This is not scriptural. As Jesus made clear, man can destroy the body, but he cannot destroy the soul. Again, Jesus told the repentant thief that he would be with Him that very day in Paradise. Do you not think that Jesus knew what He was talking about?

Matt 10:28 'And do not fear those who can kill the body, but are unable to kill the soul (psuchēn), but rather fear Him who is able to kill both soul and body in hell.

Do you not understand that if man can kill the body but cannot kill the soul, then the soul is distinct from the body and continues to exist after the death of the body?

The souls of tribulational martyrs were seen in heaven by John in his vision of heaven. And then he saw the resurrection of their bodies (Rev 20:4).

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-13-2011 at 12:10 AM..

Old 03-13-2011, 01:19 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,042,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
http://www.dyordy.com/PDFVersion/Nou...wTestament.pdf

As has been made clear, the soul survives the death of the body. Mainstream Christianity recognizes this. There are various cults who believe in soul sleep. This is not scriptural. As Jesus made clear, man can destroy the body, but he cannot destroy the soul. Again, Jesus told the repentant thief that he would be with Him that very day in Paradise. Do you not think that Jesus knew what He was talking about?

Matt 10:28 'And do not fear those who can kill the body, but are unable to kill the soul (psuchēn), but rather fear Him who is able to kill both soul and body in hell.

Do you not understand that if man can kill the body but cannot kill the soul, then the soul is distinct from the body and continues to exist after the death of the body?

The souls of tribulational martyrs were seen in heaven by John in his vision of heaven. And then he saw the resurrection of their bodies (Rev 20:4).
Mat 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

I'm a man can I kill my own psuche?

Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,998,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Mat 10:39 He who is finding his soul will be destroying it, and he who destroys his soul on My account will be finding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Yes this is true Eusebius. According to the New Living Translation. Mat. 10:39 is telling us that if you cling to your life, you will lose it; BUT IF YOU GIVE UP YOUR LIFE FOR ME, YOU WILL FIND IT. Giving up your life means you are going to follow Jesus and not the ways of the world. Jesus was not telling His followers to kill themselves.
Nope, sorry, wrong. God has already told us what "LIFE" is in Greek. It is "ZOE". On the other hand, God has already told us what "SOUL" is in Greek. It is "PSUCHE."

Let's go over this once again:
Mat 10:39 He who is finding his soul [PSUCHE] will be destroying it, and he who destroys his soul [PSUCHE] on My account will be finding it.

You reallyl need to give up those Satanic perVersions of the Bible. They are really keeping you from believing all the Scriptures.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:54 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,957,155 times
Quote:
Double talk?...

Uninteresting two word questions?

Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
In the whole of scripture there is obviously a difference between those who believe and those who don't and there respective destinies...There is also an obvious difference between eternal punishment and temporal punishment...Are you saying because YOU would not eternally punish someone that neither will your God eternally punish?...
No I am not saying that, I'd eternally punish you and not blink an eye if I was God, any other questions?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Phazlewood, if aionion can mean "eternal" when used of God then "thousand" can mean eternal when used of Jesus in which it is said in Revelation "they reign and live with Him a thousand years."

We can have all sorts of fun with this.

We are not talking about "thousand".

We are talking about a word that has been given definitions and using those definitions, not making defintions up or taking definitions away because it is convenient.

Stick with the word in question and make your point.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 PM

698 posts, read 649,033 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ plainly tells us, that if we believe in Him we shall never die. Thats good enought for me. You can play with your words all you want.

And just so you know. The word (immortality), means endless life, or endless existance. Which also means eternal life.
The phrase “eternal life” does not really capture the meaning of the original text. The phrase is actually a mistranslation.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 PM

698 posts, read 649,033 times
Quote:
And yet God the Father adresses Jesus and tells Him. Your throne oh (GOD) is for ever and ever. So it appears the Father considered Jesus as God as well. And we know there is only one God. Yet it takes three beings to = One God.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:13 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,546,448 times
Quote:
I could, but you wouldn't believe me if I did.

When God speaks His Word that Word goes out and becomes the image of Himself. The perfect image of Himself, He calls Christ. Thus Christ is the perfect Word and that Word created all things. Christ reflects Gods love back to God, as an I [distinct person-hood] but with Gods perfect nature. In like manner we love our children or spouses and they reflect back to us love. We as many individuals were created, and given a distinct person-hood [ I ] also, but we have the choice to be separate from Him, because love cannot be forced or it is not love. We are still connected in some ways but disconnected to His perfect nature because of sin. We have the knowledge of good and evil but can not deal with the evil effectively and permanently. God knows good and evil but is able to destroy evil by His goodness. We are not able to because we are not the source of all that is good. We are too much aware of evil and are weighted down with it. It is evil that kills us, but the gift of God is eternal Life by His perfect goodness and that goodness is Christ who was spoken into the world. He is among us now in the person of the Holy Spirit. The earthly body He had is dead but His Spiritual nature remains intact. The resurrection was to prove this. Animals have no I, and so live by instinct, unaware of showing some of Gods traits ,IE, dogs have life, love there owners, birds sing songs, and the others animals have their traits. They are for our enjoyment. The inanimate things such as trees and flowers, sun and the stars, etc, reflect in various ways His nature but have no I, and are given for our enjoyment also. Jesus on the other hand reflects perfectly the spiritual image of God, has an I, but His I is perfectly connected to God and so the relationship between them is Father and Son connected perfectly by the Holy Spirit so that these three reflect Himself in different ways but are always the one God. Love is a relationship by nature [3d if you like] and has to have a source, an object of the affection, and the medium to express back and forth.The Word of God expressly states that God is Love. Love has a triune nature because it is relational. This is a great mystery and hard to explain or to grasp but it is what it is. Jesus said that "the Father is greater than I", meaning only, that the Son, who expresses the character God perfectly as a model to humanity, is limited by the body, IE, has to work, can not fly, can only walk a certain distance and gets tired like us, etc. All that Jesus did, God was doing through Him and therefore God Himself was here [rejected] on the earth to fellowship with His own creation, limited only by a body like us. Jesus desires to reconnect us to God through Himself that we also might be one with the Father as He was and is today by the Resurrection.

Last edited by garya123; 03-15-2011 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity