Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 03:43 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,944,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I meant what I said: without the relationship, there is no salvation.
LOL...the ol' my way or the highway response...

By some strange coincidence, are you and Mike sitting in the same trailer together on dial-up Internet...lol

Can you tell me why you believe your statement is true in the light of scripture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 03:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,782,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Finn you have had a change in heart to believe that God can speak to us by the Spirit, i have never read of anything by you that would come close to you admitting or believing that, so i apologize if you think i rushed into disagreeing with you.Although i do believe when you are saying our daily bread you are referring to the bible and not God speaking directly to us.If you can reference yourself saying otherwise i will take it back.
I have never come even close to saying otherwise, so no, there has not been a change it heart. As a matter of fact I have always said the Spirit is in us and helps us understand the matters of God. It helps us understand the scriptures, it makes us sensitive to sin, and it will instruct us in life decisions. All this is spirit speaking to us.

I don't care if you take it back or not. If someone needs to prove something, it is you who needs to show a post of mine where I say that the spirit does not work in us. The whole argument was created by the UR crowd and then inserted into the mouths of others. The only thing people are arguing here is the Bible being the word of God (or not), and the URs apparently do not believe so, and they insist that is the same as saying that the Spirit does not work in people. Personally I have not heard any believer make that argument, I have heard it some from UR posters only. I have mentioned a number of times that the Spirit and the Bible are NOT mutually exclusive, because both 'speak' to us.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
LOL...the ol' my way or the highway response...
It is not my way, it is God's way.

Quote:
By some strange coincidence, are you and Mike sitting in the same trailer together on dial-up Internet...lol
What makes you assume we live in trailers? And so what if we did? Do you look down on people who can't afford to live in a real house?

Quote:
Can you tell me why you believe your statement is true in the light of scripture?
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me

Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
It is not my way, it is God's way.

What makes you assume we live in trailers? And so what if we did? Do you look down on people who can't afford to live in a real house?
Of course not, just having some fun with you and Mike...you guys are really up tight today...LOL

Quote:
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
So, does believing in Jesus = Personal relationship?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
So, does believing in Jesus = Personal relationship?
Yes, of course it does. Being a believer is same as having a personal relationship with Him, not just admitting that God exists, since even demons believe that. I added the verse where Jesus knocks on the door and the man answers and opens the door and lets Him in. Jesus comes in and they eat together like family. It is even a better description of having a relationship.

Do you not agree you can have a personal relationship with the Lord?

Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, of course it does. Being a believer is same as having a personal relationship with Him, not just admitting that God exists, since even demons believe that. I added the verse where Jesus knocks on the door and the man answers and opens the door and lets Him in. Jesus comes in and they eat together like family. It is even a better description of having a relationship.

Do you not agree you can have a personal relationship with the Lord?
Of course, those born of the Spirit DO have a spiritual relationship with Christ. We are in-fact united to Him. That is scriptural.

What I'm asking is whether you believe it is that relationship that saved and/or saves you.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,231,401 times
Quote:
I have never come even close to saying otherwise, so no, there has not been a change it heart. As a matter of fact I have always said the Spirit is in us and helps us understand the matters of God. It helps us understand the scriptures, it makes us sensitive to sin, and it will instruct us in life decisions. All this is spirit speaking to us.

I don't care if you take it back or not. If someone needs to prove something, it is you who needs to show a post of mine where I say that the spirit does not work in us. The whole argument was created by the UR crowd and then inserted into the mouths of others. The only thing people are arguing here is the Bible being the word of God (or not), and the URs apparently do not believe so, and they insist that is the same as saying that the Spirit does not work in people. Personally I have not heard any believer make that argument, I have heard it some from UR posters only. I have mentioned a number of times that the Spirit and the Bible are NOT mutually exclusive, because both 'speak' to us.
I agree with you 100%

Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
PS: I asked if you were both sitting in a trailer together, not living in one. No need to be offended by that...You guys are really agitated today...lol

Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM

64,003 posts, read 40,305,851 times
Finn . . . I am sincerely trying to understand the basis of your personal convictions about the character of Jesus. I have explained where my conviction and certainty comes from . . . personal experience and a long (40+year) relationship in deep meditation. I truly cannot understand how someone who sincerely has developed a personal relationship with Jesus in his heart and mind could possibly believe what you do about His character. I couldn't be more sincere in asking nor more puzzled by it. To repeat my request:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I guess I wasn't clear . . . it was a deeply sincere (and vexing) question seeking more detail on your personal encounters that seem to have produced such a profoundly different impression of Him from my experience in deep meditation. How have you met Him? What about the encounter provided you with such conviction about His character? I am truly and sincerely baffled by this and am not trying to be provocative or critical. I am unable to reconcile my experiences of God's consciousness with your acceptance of beliefs about Him that contradict them so profoundly. Please stop viewing my posts defensively or negatively . . . I am truly baffled by this and sincerely want to know what the basis for YOUR personal convictions are.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Finn . . . I am sincerely trying to understand the basis of your personal convictions about the character of Jesus. I have explained where my conviction and certainty comes from . . . personal experience and a long (40+year) relationship in deep meditation. I truly cannot understand how someone who sincerely has developed a personal relationship with Jesus in his heart and mind could possibly believe what you do about His character. I couldn't be more sincere in asking nor more puzzled by it. To repeat my request:
Oh, it comes directly from Jesus. Praise the Lord!!! Thanks for asking (questioning/doubting).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity