Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 07:09 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,374,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with fundamentalist churches. Seriously. Trettp is not even a fundamentalist, he is a universalist.
You're right. It's the not fundamentalists only; but they have a corner on the market.

I'm not saying that trettep is a fundamentalist; only that I know full well what it means to be considered "a heretic" because I think differently. And he does, too.

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM

563 posts, read 930,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Christianity is about following Christ. What calls itself "Christianity" today has nothing to do with following Christ.
There's a lot of truth in that statement.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
You're right. It's the not fundamentalists only; but they have a corner on the market.
Corner in the market in agreeing that Bible is the word of God? No, it doesn't have anything to with any church. If you don't value the Bible, and want to downplay its importance because you do not think it is the word of God, then that's just your opinon and nothing else. I know you have a deep rooted dislike for churches, but don't try to blame the church when there is no blame.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:21 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,374,102 times
Quote:
Corner in the market in agreeing that Bible is the word of God? No, it doesn't have anything to with any church. If you don't value the Bible, and want to downplay its importance because you do not think it is the word of God, then that's just your opinon and nothing else. I know you have a deep rooted dislike for churches, but don't try to blame the church when there is no blame.
You completely misunderstood me Finn. Completely.

Blessings,
brian

Old 03-23-2011, 09:05 AM

251 posts, read 209,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Christianity is about following Christ. What calls itself "Christianity" today has nothing to do with following Christ.
I agree with that.
But what do you mean by following Christ?
You see that is part of the problem.
People use idiom phrases that have different potential meanings.
If you mean that people don't follow the example of Christ, then which example is most important?
I beleive the rebellious nature against the religious order of the day which was also deeply engrained in the government of the day was the most important example.
And the fact that he was able to acheive victory in a passive manner says something.
If we fall into the trap of speaking with idioms,then we fall into the trap of joining in with the problem because those you speak to will always consult an expert.And we all know where that gets them.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Hi trettep,
Thank you for your post.
Well, it's okay if I'm not "popular." My view on the Bible however is NOT unique at all.
I have never been fully accepted in the fundamentalist churches I've attended, and that's fine. I don't fit into their doctrines, and I don't want to be a hypocrite and say I agree, if I really don't. So we each generally go our separate ways.

Imo, Christianity has a very good track record of telling people how rejected they are, how they don't fit in, why they are wrong, etc. And I believe that that is a big part of why many people do not want anything to do with Christianity. I know that God sees their situation, and I believe He sees their reasons as justifiable.

----------

Anyway, I know that we view the Bible differently, and that's ok by me. We can still be friends anyway, even if we don't agree. Imo, all our doctrines and beliefs won't make much difference at all in the end --- only our Love! (and whether we are trusting in the LORD all the way!)

Blessings,
brian
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER !
They try and make people feal inferior on purpose.
It is part of the indoctrination process and makes the subject seek expert guidance.Which they have fully available as long as the subject will take the place given to them.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
You completely misunderstood me Finn. Completely.

Blessings,
brian
Neither do I see you downplaying the bible.
What you do seem to recognize is that the bible tends to be used in a subversive manner and are pointing to it.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
My God which is the Creator of All Things Good and Evil does not need anyone to use the bible.
Just like Christ used not only the Old Testament he travelled and used others religious books.
Because,and this is the most important part.
It was not the book that was the problem.
It was those who were using it with selfish motivation and to control others for material gain and control over them.

Same today as it ever was.

It is this magical power thought of the bible that is the problem.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 AM

23,022 posts, read 34,407,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What comes to mind while reading this thread is this: I can write a book about myself that tells you everything you need to know about me. Someone can read that book and learn all they can about me. But they still have not actually met me.
There is a big difference in knowing who Jesus is and knowing Him personally.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
There is a big difference in knowing who Jesus is and knowing Him personally.
Yes, without a personal relationship, there is no salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity