Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 07:00 AM

563 posts, read 931,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You don't get it. Killing a gay person or a thief is in stark contradiction to what the Bible teaches. If you pop open Deutronomy and use that as your guide, you disregard the rest of the Bible, and then I wonder why you consunted the Bible in the first place. Are you Jewish? No? Then why would you obey old Jewish law?
No, I'm not Jewish, but are you discounting the O.T.? That was what Jesus used. Are you saying one would need to know the entire Christian Bible in order to know if their inner mind was hearing God and if it was something else (themselves or the devil)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,797,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
No, I'm not Jewish, but are you discounting the O.T.? That was what Jesus used. Are you saying one would need to know the entire Christian Bible in order to know if their inner mind was hearing God and if it was something else (themselves or the devil)?
I think it would be worth reading a little more than Deutronomy before committing a crime which will put you on death row. If you knew NT core theachings, you would not kill a person because he is gay. That's all I am saying.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
I think it would be worth reading a little more than Deutronomy before committing a crime which will put you on death row. If you knew NT core theachings, you would not kill a person because he is gay. That's all I am saying.
I think we've really strayed from the original post. My point was that the Bible does contain things which could lead one to do things which are now illegal. To apply your principle, one would need to know the entire Bible as put together by Protestant Christians. I counter to say Jesus was simply a Jewish Rabbi and never claimed to replace or change any law. Paul has led Christians in a different direction than Jesus set for his followers.

I respect your posts, and in the end, agree with ahigherway; God is not fooled.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,797,224 times
Quote:
I think we've really strayed from the original post. My point was that the Bible does contain things which could lead one to do things which are now illegal. To apply your principle, one would need to know the entire Bible as put together by Protestant Christians. I counter to say Jesus was simply a Jewish Rabbi and never claimed to replace or change any law. Paul has led Christians in a different direction than Jesus set for his followers.

My priciple? My principle is the the Holy Spirit will never tell you anything which will contradict the teachigs of the Bible, and it will never tell you to murder people.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:30 AM

251 posts, read 209,960 times
Quote:

I agree.
God is not fooled.
And neither was you or I.
It would have been better if more people were able to read this thread.
That way maybe someday we could contain the damage.
But the problem reaches up thru the ladder.
And the heirarchies would rather contain us.
They would treat us as they did Jesus if they could.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:

We had a real life demonstration of the topic of this thread and someone wanted it covered up.
Maybe they did not understand.
Maybe they are just against God.
Posts deleted for rudeness has to have a higher threshold under certain circumstances.
And just because someone has little understanding of the issue at hand does not make it any more righteous to smote the furnace.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
My priciple? My principle is the the Holy Spirit will never tell you anything which will contradict the teachigs of the Bible, and it will never tell you to murder people.
The Bible itself is contradictory. Depending on where you read, you will get different directions. You know the Bible so you know what I'm writing is true.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
We still would like for you to tell us what those teachings are.
We are talking about something very important.
We are talking about a persons soul here.
Don't keep thowing out a lifeline to him and hang onto the other end and make him rely on you.
Throw him the whole boat and let him save himself from the sharks.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJSmith View Post
I agree.
God is not fooled.
And neither was you or I.
It would have been better if more people were able to read this thread.
That way maybe someday we could contain the damage.
But the problem reaches up thru the ladder.
And the heirarchies would rather contain us.
They would treat us as they did Jesus if they could.
This is true. The "powers that be" in the church will not give up their control of the masses. I have absolutely lost count of hypocritical ministers. The bigger the church, the more likely you are to catch them molesting kids, bedding others wives, or sleeping with gays.

List of Christian evangelist scandals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_C...ses_by_country

No all ministers, again, not all, but all too often, they live disgusting hidden lives while at the same time preaching to their flock. Money, control, power, etc.

Again, God is not fooled. Which is what this thread is about.

Last edited by WonderingWanderer; 03-22-2011 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,649,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Yep, We are born with the innate voice, a conscience of God's right and wrong..... and it is God's written word that teaches us to know, discern and confirms to us the concept of what is truly right and wrong.... not the voices we hear !!

Yet, the OP is telling people that one is to listen to the voice in their heart and whether someone is mentally incapable of discerning because of mental illness, or because one believes they are to be human bombs they are convinced that they are hearing God regardless...

The examples that were given are not bad examples but good examples about real people .... who really are hearing a voice that is telling them to do things that are in total opposition of God's will regardless and yes, WE can see that the voice they are hearing is not of God.

We can not tell people to listen to the voice or voices in their heart because there are many voices out there that are not of God but people really believe they are hearing Him.
That is why it is so dangerous to make an OP that people are to listen to their heart because a lot of times in many cases that heart is not connected to the mind properly for what ever reason and can or do act impulsively to the wrong voice !!
We're not even talking about "voices" or "hearing a literal voice"......that's insanity. Anyone who hears an actual, literal voice needs help right away.

We're talking about a spiritual thing, not a literal thing. I don't think you're getting at all what the OP is trying to say here. If we didn't have the Bible, we would still have the "word" because it is already in us. Some people choose to ignore their conscience and use their own thoughts and desires to do evil, but it doesn't mean that they can't "hear" (spiritually) what is good and proper and what is right. They most certainly can and do. We all have "it" in us, some just choose to ignore the good and embrace the bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity