Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,864,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJSmith View Post
No doubt there are many people that do not use the bible on any regular form that have the same spiritual teachings of the bible.
But remember this.
The bible is like the garden of eden and has the ability to bring forth good or evil.
But to confine someone to that garden means that they are trapped in with evil.
Confine? Why confine? The problem with the anti-Bible crowd is that they think the Holy Spirit and the Bible are mutually exclusive, meaning you must select one or the other, as if both cannot exist in the same space.

But that is not true. The Holy Spirit and the Bible work hand in hand to guide the lives of believers. The Spirit will never tell you anything which contradicts the teachings of the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:36 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,596,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
Per your first question, logic dictates there must be another way, or another criteria which God uses for judgment. There are just too many instances in the age of mankind that one would not have a book or someone to interpret it. We all believe God is absolutely fair and just, right?
Why would logic dictate that? IF you believe the Bible is the word of God, it says that no man cometh unto the Father except by Christ. That's pretty clear, isn't it?

But, if you DON'T believe the Bible is God's word, then you're free to believe anything you like and find your "own" path to God.

However, that does not mean it's right.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think you may be taking at least one of these quoted phrases out of context, and that's the one about the Bible being "just a book." I've said that and I've heard other Christians say that, but only in response to people who seem to be worshipping it as opposed to God to gave it. It's His word, but it is not God and is not to be worshipped.
No, not out of context. I have been mocked and flat out called "book worshipper" for believing the Bible is the word of God. Personally I have NEVER met anyone who worships the Bible.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Hi stillkit,

In spite of the verses above, I can't believe the notion that man cannot know salvation apart from a preacher. I believe salvation is hidden away in the heart of all mankind, the Voice is there "knocking" when it chooses.
Why do you believe that? Based upon what?

Quote:
In your Romans chapter 10 above, in verse 19 we read this:
"But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world."

And what about here:
"20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened." Rom. 1

Believing in God is one thing (that's what those verses are dealing with). Believing in Christ is quite another. Obviously, you cannot believe in Christ without first believing in God, but just a belief that God exists is not sufficient for salvation. If that were so, Lucifer would be saved because he knew God personally and has no doubt about the matter.

So, from where does our knowledge of Christ come? From the prophesies of the Old Testament and the eye witness testimonies of the New. In other words, the Bible.

Quote:
A friend of mine once asked, "do you think that if a person didn't have access to a bible, that God could teach him it?"
I said, yes.
Why and how?

Quote:
Is God limited by our printing presses??
No, of course not.

Quote:
Why would man need something "man-made" in order to know the salvation of God?
Because that's the way God set it up. He has always revealed himself to us by Spirit empowered and directed other men. He only spoke directly to Adam, Moses, Abram and the Prophets and they were directed to carry His message to others.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM

251 posts, read 210,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Confine? Why confine? The problem with the anti-Bible crowd is that they think the Holy Spirit and the Bible are mutually exclusive, meaning you must select one or the other, as if both cannot exist in the same space.

But that is not true. The Holy Spirit and the Bible work hand in hand to guide the lives of believers. The Spirit will never tell you anything which contradicts the teachings of the Bible.
The crowd is not so much the anti-bible crowd as it is anti-devil using the bible.
So how do you tell people to understand the difference between the Holy Spirit and the Angel Lucifer ?
Because there is no doubt the Angel Lucifer knows how to act like a Holy Spirit because he was God's top dog so to speak.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
So those words in the book of Romans (or was it Paul) were spoken to teach the old testament and not the teaching of Jesus?
Jesus IS the Old Testament! He's in it from Genesis to Malachi.

You cannot separate Jesus Christ from any part of the Bible. He's it from beginning to end. He is EVERYTHING in God's dealings with mankind!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Why would logic dictate that? IF you believe the Bible is the word of God, it says that no man cometh unto the Father except by Christ. That's pretty clear, isn't it?

But, if you DON'T believe the Bible is God's word, then you're free to believe anything you like and find your "own" path to God.

However, that does not mean it's right.
Someone would have to define "by Christ".
It could be said that Jesus was a passive aggressive rebel that led an uprising thru non violent martydom.
And the church we see today has capitalized on his sacrifice.
Basically using God's name in vain.
And has been doing so for over 2000 years.
What kind of punishment would God do to that society?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJSmith View Post
The crowd is not so much the anti-bible crowd as it is anti-devil using the bible.

So how do you tell people to understand the difference between the Holy Spirit and the Angel Lucifer ?
I think this question should be directed to those who do not believe Bible to be the word of God. If you feel you are getting a 'message' from God, but the message contradicts the teachings of the Bible, you can pretty much count on it that the message is not from God. Of course if you do not believe Bible is the word of God, then it would be pointless to use if to verify anything.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think this question should be directed to those who do not believe Bible to be the word of God. If you feel you are getting a 'message' from God, but the message contradicts the teachings of the Bible, you can pretty much count on it that the message is not from God. Of course if you do not believe Bible is the word of God, then it would be pointless to use if to verify anything.
So you think you have exclusive rights to the bible ?
I am just pointing somethin out.
I do understand the trappings of the bible.
Such as you are basically saying"join us or don't refer to the bible at all.
That puts you in the garden of eden and being confined with the devil.
I do not wish to join you in the garden of eden.
My soul does not need to be subjected to that conflict.
Message from God?
That one is used to confirm that subjects have got the underlying message of a sermon or from their church group.

In summary tell us what the teachings of the bible are.
Because there is alot of differing opinions on that subject.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,170,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Jesus IS the Old Testament! He's in it from Genesis to Malachi.

You cannot separate Jesus Christ from any part of the Bible. He's it from beginning to end. He is EVERYTHING in God's dealings with mankind!
Absolutely true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity