Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 AM

563 posts, read 932,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
1 Corinthians 2:14 "But people who aren't Christians can't understand these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means".
Context, please. This verse is not referring to common sense reading and understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 AM

251 posts, read 210,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
KellyJSmith,

What religion are you?
I don't have my own religion.

I'm reading about Jesus travelling to Japan where he died.

Tomb of Jesus in Japan

I am also reading about the guy who dug up the grave.

http://www.anusha.com/jesusjap.htm

Last edited by KellyJSmith; 03-22-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It sounds even more foolish when people go on a mission to discredit the Bible. Like I said there are many web pages dedicated to discredit the Bible.
He is not trying to discredit the bible.
Merely helping to set the captives free.
Someone else did that over 2000 years ago.
And he used the religious books of the day to do so.
Do you know who that someone was ?
HE'S BACK!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:35 AM

23,036 posts, read 34,473,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWanderer View Post
Context, please. This verse is not referring to common sense reading and understanding.
Non believers cannot understand spiritual truths, so I don't expect you to to understand.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Non believers cannot understand spiritual truths, so I don't expect you to to understand.
And how have you qualified me as an unbeliever? By what criteria?

Old 03-22-2011, 12:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,552,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Brian, you are preaching a stumbling for many. The written Word still contains Spirit and Life! You don't seem to get that.

And NO, unbelievers don't the Bible very well, for had they known it they wouldn't be unbelievers.

Brian, I consider any dumbing down of the Bible as hate speech. So your posts preach hatred of the highest order. I don't know if you see how we that revere God's Word are seeing your statements.

I think what ahigherway is trying to say in part is what Jesus said in John 5:39,40 "Search the scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life; and they are they which testify of Me. And you will not come to Me, that you might have life." Scripture is given to give us as examples of the ways of Christ and to draw men to Himself. The letter of the scriptures kill but also draw men to Christ but the Spirit gives life and so scripture should never be belittled. But if we had to wait until all was known of them [this can not be] to be complete in Christ then none of us would be able to please Him. The scriptures give understanding by the Spirit to the believer and should be studied a life time. But more than that, the Spirit gives transformation to discern many things needed from the get go. There are also things needed but not written of as Jesus said in John 16:12,13 " I still have many things to say to you, but you can not bear them now. However when He the Spirit of Truth, has come, He will guide you into all Truth." One has to mature in discernment for this to happen. There is also the personal pathway for an individual that only the Spirit can teach and that is why Jesus said "call no man Teacher." It is one thing to expound on Scripture as human teachers are allowed to do [5 fold ministry] and quite another thing to lead a soul in the way, as only He is "The way." Moreover there are many other Truths that Jesus spoke of in Rev., 2:17 "To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna [truths] to eat." If I have misrepresented your points of view then please feel free to respond. You are both brothers in Christ because "He that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is born of God." Many things are hard to understand and hard to speak of to the satisfaction of everyone. I pray you bear with one another, try to understand one another without ranker so that the peace of God might rule.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:38 PM

The Spirit of Truth is all around.
What you must do is removed the log from your eye.

Enough of that for now.

What is being conveyed is that all you have to do is accept truth and you will then start to see truth.
And it is not the man or woman that teaches you this but Truth itself.
A man is always crippled by his own desires and interests.
But if he recognizes them and is able to put them aside,he gains in discernment.
The Spirit of Truth is not a single man/woman like the Holy Spirit is not a single spirit.
They are both combinations of many.
One of spirits and the other of men/woman.
Your either for truth or against it.
If you are for truth without selfish motivation you will see much.
If you are selfish in your motivations you will see little.
And responses to complex posts tells the tale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
I think what ahigherway is trying to say in part is what Jesus said in John 5:39,40 "Search the scriptures; for in them you think you have eternal life; and they are they which testify of Me. And you will not come to Me, that you might have life." Scripture is given to give us as examples of the ways of Christ and to draw men to Himself. The letter of the scriptures kill but also draw men to Christ but the Spirit gives life and so scripture should never be belittled. But if we had to wait until all was known of them [this can not be] to be complete in Christ then none of us would be able to please Him. The scriptures give understanding by the Spirit to the believer and should be studied a life time. But more than that, the Spirit gives transformation to discern many things needed from the get go. There are also things needed but not written of as Jesus said in John 16:12,13 " I still have many things to say to you, but you can not bear them now. However when He the Spirit of Truth, has come, He will guide you into all Truth." One has to mature in discernment for this to happen. There is also the personal pathway for an individual that only the Spirit can teach and that is why Jesus said "call no man Teacher." It is one thing to expound on Scripture as human teachers are allowed to do [5 fold ministry] and quite another thing to lead a soul in the way, as only He is "The way." Moreover there are many other Truths that Jesus spoke of in Rev., 2:17 "To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna [truths] to eat." If I have misrepresented your points of view then please feel free to respond. You are both brothers in Christ because "He that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is born of God." Many things are hard to understand and hard to speak of to the satisfaction of everyone. I pray you bear with one another, try to understand one another without ranker so that the peace of God might rule.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,255,862 times
What comes to mind while reading this thread is this: I can write a book about myself that tells you everything you need to know about me. Someone can read that book and learn all they can about me. But they still have not actually met me.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:34 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,787,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJSmith View Post
I don't have my own religion.

I'm reading about Jesus travelling to Japan where he died.

Tomb of Jesus in Japan

I am also reading about the guy who dug up the grave.

How Jesus Came to Japan
Now that is funny! ... Thanks for the laugh!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
What comes to mind while reading this thread is this: I can write a book about myself that tells you everything you need to know about me. Someone can read that book and learn all they can about me. But they still have not actually met me.
Ahh, the experience of you.

There is a theory that states we are simply ideas in the mind of God and this is his (or her) way of "experiencing" the reality of the thought. I don't subscribe to it personally, but it is fun to consider.

But then again, that's really opening your mind to wonder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity