Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 04:02 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

If you worship on the wrong day, you're going to Hell.
If you aren't baptized, you're going to Hell.
If you don't pay tithing, you're going to Hell.
If your prayers aren't offered correctly, you're going to Hell.
If you're not born again, you're going to Hell.
If you believe that you have to do anything except believe, you're going to Hell.

Ask enough Christians, and you'll hear every conceivable combination of these statements, and everybody can prove that they're right and everybody else is wrong. If I were God, I'd be pretty fed up with us all by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 04:14 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,330,676 times
Katzpur. You make a good point. In along those lines there is a pastor in the southeast of Pennsylvania who told his congregation that he was a Navy Seal. Sure he was in the Navy, but no Seal. This is all because the Seals took out a false prophet on President Obama's watch. To discredit him.
Well Anderson Cooper outted him and he had to go back to his congregation an apologize. Another false prophet.
God is sadden. His heart just wants to shake this planet so hard to destroy man's ignorance. They test God. How foolish.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times
Damned if you do, and damned if you don't, you cant win for loosing ... That is false religion in a hand bag.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,330,676 times
It is only through faith in Christ and His words do you win.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,567,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If you believe that you have to do anything except believe, you're going to Hell.

Ask enough Christians, and you'll hear every conceivable combination of these statements, and everybody can prove that they're right and everybody else is wrong. If I were God, I'd be pretty fed up with us all by now.
LOL!!! The very reason why I don't espouse man-made religion...

~Love GOD with all that you are and your neighbor as you love yourself.

The compass in one's journey to home!

Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 PM

9,688 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Three right and three wrong ..... you will not go to hell if you worship the Lord of the wrong day...... The Sabbath was created for man and Christians are not under the law only when you rebuke the demons in Jesus name and take authority over any attack about the Sabbath.......... You will not go to hell if you don`t pay tithes, Christians are not under the law and giving to the Lord is worship of the fruits of the Spirit of Charity , and not giving tithes is not a grave error , as long as the believer has a heart for any fruit of the spirit the Lord will use that soul and spirit and keep it .....If your prayers are not offered correctly then you can go to hell is not correct...... There are many people who are anointed of God and are Children of God who do not pray correctly and God will not condemn them , for God knows that most may be poorly developed and need help , and here is the Lord Jesus offering people with no faith , Faith as a free gift because God knows that the flesh is weak , and the spirit is willing ..... See believer can totally destroy the works of the Lord with wrong prayers and God would be quick to forgive because God know peoples limitation ...... and we can all be glad that you are not God because the Lord has mighty patience

Old 05-11-2011, 05:48 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:

Your list consists of works.

It would be nice if people would read their Bible instead of their church's doctrine manual.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says:

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Three right and three wrong...
You just demonstrated perfectly what my OP stated!

Last edited by Katzpur; 05-11-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Your list consists of works.

It would be nice if people would read their Bible instead of their church's doctrine manual.

Ephesians 2:8-9 says:

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.
The last item on my list was essentially what you just said. It was: "If you believe that you have to do anything except believe, you're going to Hell." Granted, you didn't come right out and say that if a person believes that we are saved by grace, through faith in Christ and obedience to His commandments, he will go to Hell -- but I have heard people on this forum say that. Still, you illustrated my point quite perfectly by insisting that our works have no part in our salvation. Many people here would disagree with you. So who's right? You or them?

My point is this: We're all so flippin' busy condemning one another it's just pathetic! You have to do this. You mustn't do that. You must just believe. You must believe and be obedient. Your works don't count. Your works count against you. You can get away with not keeping such and such commandments, but if you don't keep such and such commandments, you'll be eternally damned. Blah, blah, blah! Is there one other person on this forum who agrees with this sentence:

“Live according to your beliefs. Be faithful to what you believe. Fundamental righteousness is based on adherence to what you know to be right. You have been endowed with fundamental righteous understandings—ideals. Try to live by those ideals.”

I am sincerely convinced that most people who consider themselves to be disciples of Jesus Christ are doing the best they can to do what they believe is expected of them, whether it be just having faith or having faith and keeping His commandments -- as they understand those commandments. And that's the operative phrase here: as they understand those commandments. What is it with us that we have to be constantly condemning one another? Is this what we really think Jesus Christ wants us to do?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-11-2011 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: Red font is reserved for moderation..Thank you

Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,936,374 times
Quote:

Welcome to City-Data, the Christian forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity