Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 09:04 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgertutt View Post
For twelve years, day and night, I frequently suffered horrific panic attacks of terror over my inability to love and trust a god who would let anyone suffer forever.
I remember the first time I read your story, Rodger, how grateful I was that you had shared. I had been so ashamed of the emotional turmoil that I had endured and hearing your story helped me to realize I wasn't the only one. Believing in a God of ET preyed on my absolute worst fears, fears that had come from being abused as a child, and having the strong sense that there was something deeply wrong with me at the core ... that I was simply damaged goods and unlovable.

I cannot begin to tell you how much time over the years I spent literally wracked with emotional pain, and fighting with every breath the urge to end my life. It seriously felt as though I was already experiencing hell, and I couldn't see any end to it, no matter what I did. I can't possibly describe the torment I was enduring, but in my head, I "knew" that the real hell was going to be even worse, and that was simply unfathomable.

I could not accept, as desperately as I wanted to, that a God who would allow the majority of humanity to be tortured forever -- not just "evil" people, but also people who were good and kind and loving -- wouldn't reject me too, inspite of my "right beliefs". After all, the people in my life who were supposedly hard-wired to love me and protect me, hadn't. To me, since God was in charge and had put me in that situation, that was His way of letting me know what he really thought of me and what I could expect from Him. To me, the physical pain of being burned wouldn't even be the worst pain ... the pain of knowing I was rejected forever would be. Then, on top of that, to think of all the billions of people who were already in torment, and whose torment I would be witnessing for eternity (even if by some miracle God did actually love me enough to spare me) and no way of anyone helping anyone else ... It was too much to bear, thinking of people all alone in the kind of pain I was feeling and with no hope.

I'm sharing all this so that perhaps people can understand that some people are going to be uber-sensitive to the insane inconsistency of a God whom we're told is LOVE but who will also abandon most of humanity to unimaginable pain for eternity because they didn't believe the right things. That's NOT LOVE; it's certainly not a love that can be trusted with any certainty at all; and I don't really understand how so many can't see that.

The immense emotional relief and healing that came into my life when I first believed that God loves ALL was overwhelming. The sick thing is that I fought against the UR belief for 2 years , studying feverishly to prove it was wrong, before accepting that it was biblically supportable. I guess I was just that afraid of the ET "God" that I didn't want to give him even a hint that I might question his reality.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:06 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,408,336 times
Exclamation The consequenses of eternal torment teaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I remember the first time I read your story, Rodger, how grateful I was that you had shared. I had been so ashamed of the emotional turmoil that I had endured and hearing your story helped me to realize I wasn't the only one. Believing in a God of ET preyed on my absolute worst fears, fears that had come from being abused as a child, and having the strong sense that there was something deeply wrong with me at the core ... that I was simply damaged goods and unlovable.

I cannot begin to tell you how much time over the years I spent literally wracked with emotional pain, and fighting with every breath the urge to end my life. It seriously felt as though I was already experiencing hell, and I couldn't see any end to it, no matter what I did. I can't possibly describe the torment I was enduring, but in my head, I "knew" that the real hell was going to be even worse, and that was simply unfathomable.

I could not accept, as desperately as I wanted to, that a God who would allow the majority of humanity to be tortured forever -- not just "evil" people, but also people who were good and kind and loving -- wouldn't reject me too, inspite of my "right beliefs". After all, the people in my life who were supposedly hard-wired to love me and protect me, hadn't. To me, since God was in charge and had put me in that situation, that was His way of letting me know what he really thought of me and what I could expect from Him. To me, the physical pain of being burned wouldn't even be the worst pain ... the pain of knowing I was rejected forever would be. Then, on top of that, to think of all the billions of people who were already in torment, and whose torment I would be witnessing for eternity (even if by some miracle God did actually love me enough to spare me) and no way of anyone helping anyone else ... It was too much to bear, thinking of people all alone in the kind of pain I was feeling and with no hope.

I'm sharing all this so that perhaps people can understand that some people are going to be uber-sensitive to the insane inconsistency of a God whom we're told is LOVE but who will also abandon most of humanity to unimaginable pain for eternity because they didn't believe the right things. That's NOT LOVE; it's certainly not a love that can be trusted with any certainty at all; and I don't really understand how so many can't see that.

The immense emotional relief and healing that came into my life when I first believed that God loves ALL was overwhelming. The sick thing is that I fought against the UR belief for 2 years , studying feverishly to prove it was wrong, before accepting that it was biblically supportable. I guess I was just that afraid of the ET "God" that I didn't want to give him even a hint that I might question his reality.
Thanks for sharing that Pleroo.
Here are many more testimonies that are similar to yours and mine.
THE CONSEQUENSES OF ETERNAL TORMENT TEACHING
Fruit from the Teaching of Hell

Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:

God bless you , Pleroo . . . and thank you for this witness. The damage this heinous dogma wreaks on the more sensitive and valuable( IMO) people among us is unconscionable. Those who have been most responsible for perpetuating it have a heavy burden indeed. The LACK of love and spiritual maturity that is revealed by those supporting this evil and heinous blasphemy against the true nature of our loving God should give them pause . . . NOT regarding their salvation . . . that is assured . . . but regarding any "refinement" that might be needed.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:03 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,625,672 times
Quote:

Amen, thanks for sharing that Pleroo, it's simply amazing what you've been through and how loving and understanding you seem to be in spite of all that. I'm so happy that you, Rodger and others like me have finally learned the truth and we're not burdened down anymore with the horrible teachings of ET and of an unfavorable God.

I handled the teaching of ET quite differently for many years.....I went the way of drugs and alcohol to bury the uncertainty and pain of it all, I just couldn't deal with it. Of course, there were other factors at play as well, but I found that it was easier to suppress ET rather than face it head on. How could I "question" God? Well I did, in spite of the fact I was terrified to do so. But I learned that I wasn't questioning God, I was questioning man and his erroneous teachings. Not a thing wrong with that!!

Fear is a very powerful thing, and the power of fear behind the ET teaching has tremendous control right now but a few voices out in the wilderness can make a difference and hopefully, eventually, bring ET to it's knees.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Amen, thanks for sharing that Pleroo, it's simply amazing what you've been through and how loving and understanding you seem to be in spite of all that. I'm so happy that you, Rodger and others like me have finally learned the truth and we're not burdened down anymore with the horrible teachings of ET and of an unfavorable God.

I handled the teaching of ET quite differently for many years.....I went the way of drugs and alcohol to bury the uncertainty and pain of it all, I just couldn't deal with it. Of course, there were other factors at play as well, but I found that it was easier to suppress ET rather than face it head on. How could I "question" God? Well I did, in spite of the fact I was terrified to do so. But I learned that I wasn't questioning God, I was questioning man and his erroneous teachings. Not a thing wrong with that!!

Fear is a very powerful thing, and the power of fear behind the ET teaching has tremendous control right now but a few voices out in the wilderness can make a difference and hopefully, eventually, bring ET to it's knees.
"The erroneous pacifier is being removed from the mouths of men as they gnash their teeth in sorrow and grief."

Old 07-16-2011, 03:08 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,020,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
"The erroneous pacifier is being removed from the mouths of men as they gnash their teeth in sorrow and grief."

Quite a visual statement, Jerwade. I agree. Lots of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. I know I've done my share of that in times past.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:10 PM

823 posts, read 1,402,106 times
I am just so very thankful that I was never involved in a Church that dwelled on Hell. I was brought up Catholic and the Church that we went to really focussed on God's Love. As I was never exposed to all this negativity and I have never feared God, I know that some of you will say that as I have no fear my faith cannot be true. But it is. I have only known God's Love. He has been there with me all of my life. My intensity in longing for his Love waxes and wanes and I wish that I could be more consistent with my soul longings and I am praying on that.

I started going back to Church this past year as for many years I could not find a church that was in total alignment with my beliefs - but I do not think such a Church exists. This present Church isn't the perfect fit for me but their focus is on God's Love and Love for each other. I am truly impressed with the many a wonderful soul at this place of Worship. Its just a non demoninational Christian church that is held in a gymnasium at a local school.

I get a really good vibe from the people that go to this church and have been so pleasantly surprised, that after many weeks in attendance, that they do not dwell on hell and damnation but the focus is on how very lucky we all our to have a Father like God.

I do however also believe that we reap what we sow and there are consequenses for our actions. We are his beloved children. We are not perfect, we continue to grow, learn & make mistakes.

He tells us that if we will come to Him and put our trust in Him, He will not only forgive our sins but He will forget our sins.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,408,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I am just so very thankful that I was never involved in a Church that dwelled on Hell. I was brought up Catholic and the Church that we went to really focussed on God's Love. As I was never exposed to all this negativity and I have never feared God, I know that some of you will say that as I have no fear my faith cannot be true. But it is. I have only known God's Love. He has been there with me all of my life. My intensity in longing for his Love waxes and wanes and I wish that I could be more consistent with my soul longings and I am praying on that.

I started going back to Church this past year as for many years I could not find a church that was in total alignment with my beliefs - but I do not think such a Church exists. This present Church isn't the perfect fit for me but their focus is on God's Love and Love for each other. I am truly impressed with the many a wonderful soul at this place of Worship. Its just a non demoninational Christian church that is held in a gymnasium at a local school.

I get a really good vibe from the people that go to this church and have been so pleasantly surprised, that after many weeks in attendance, that they do not dwell on hell and damnation but the focus is on how very lucky we all our to have a Father like God.

I do however also believe that we reap what we sow and there are consequenses for our actions. We are his beloved children. We are not perfect, we continue to grow, learn & make mistakes.

He tells us that if we will come to Him and put our trust in Him, He will not only forgive our sins but He will forget our sins.
Nice to meet you SisterKat. I think it's wonderful that you had such positive experiences in your encounters with church people. I hope and pray that it will continue to be so.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,236,414 times
[mod]orphaned quote[/mod ]
Moderator cut: delete

If Universalism is correct, than there is no need and no fruitfulness in the church "working" to bring about universal reconciliation to God. Why would it be necessary? The Reconciliation would be automatic, by the very tenets of universalism.

If universalism is correct, then there are no lost derelict souls. And they certainly have no need to worry about going anywhere but to God when they die. There is no need for restitution. If I were a universalist, I would see no need at all to tell anyone about Jesus. My efforts have nothing to do with salvation for anyone and there is no eternal torment for them to go to anyway.

Moderator cut: orphaned response

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-17-2011 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 12:01 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I believe the terminology "eternal" might mean something other than literal eternity. Especially given the fact that the temporal universe we now inhabit will cease to exist after the Great White Throne Judgement.

I also don't really have an idea what the quality of the torment is. It is something widely open to discussion. I believe it is existence without God in a portion that is completely detached from a perfect universe. Sort of an alternate reality perhaps with no presence of God in it.
So, in essence, you believe that God abandons people and gives up on them, in spite of the fact that the biblical description of Love assures us that Love never fails?

God's judgments (we reap what we sow) serve a purpose which, according to the bible, is for people to learn righteousness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time... it might even feel like torment ... but God chastens those whom he loves for a loving purpose, not out of some need to satisfy a vengeful heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity