Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
That when they're sleeping with someone, whether they be married or unmarried, they're giving a very deep part of themselves.

From what I observed in the relationship forum, some people do some don't.
But I believe that that subconscious feeling is God speaking to them telling them that is is more than a physical act. It is an emotional and spiritual act that must only be done within marriage. The reason I say this is because I've seen threads where people try to convince others that having relations before marriage is fine (I disagree completely) and yet when break-ups happen, they seem to find it difficult to trust any future partners again.

I know it seems like this shouldve been posted in the relationship forum, but I think this is more of a spiritual matter. What do you guys think?
Love is the key to every relationship. If there is no love, or very little, the relationship cannot survive. This goes for married or unmarried couples. God did not create the marriage ceremony. It is a man made idea to bring families closer together and uplift our species. It's a good idea, however, God bases all marriages on love. He doesn't see a piece of paper. We all have free will and as long as we live the Law of Love, we are not sinning, and that goes for married and unmarried couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 05:31 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
Love is the key to every relationship. If there is no love, or very little, the relationship cannot survive. This goes for married or unmarried couples. God did not create the marriage ceremony. It is a man made idea to bring families closer together and uplift our species. It's a good idea, however, God bases all marriages on love. He doesn't see a piece of paper. We all have free will and as long as we live the Law of Love, we are not sinning, and that goes for married and unmarried couples.
The problem I have with this philosophy is that we humans have a very limited idea of what real love is. There's a very strong tendency to think love is just a warm and fuzzy feeling. When people don't have that feeling any more, many think something's "wrong" and want to divorce only to look for a new "love".

Having to sign a legal contract makes people think twice about walking away when things get difficult. Jesus loved everyone unconditionally, even those who were difficult to love. He even expressed anger and had harsh words for some, but that didn't mean he didn't love them.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
That when they're sleeping with someone, whether they be married or unmarried, they're giving a very deep part of themselves.

From what I observed in the relationship forum, some people do some don't.
But I believe that that subconscious feeling is God speaking to them telling them that is is more than a physical act. It is an emotional and spiritual act that must only be done within marriage. The reason I say this is because I've seen threads where people try to convince others that having relations before marriage is fine (I disagree completely) and yet when break-ups happen, they seem to find it difficult to trust any future partners again.

I know it seems like this shouldve been posted in the relationship forum, but I think this is more of a spiritual matter. What do you guys think?
I think you might be interested in what this post has to say on the topic. I don't agree 100% but I still found it quite enlightening:

Real Jesus, (http://www.askrealjesus.com/askrealjesus/jesusanswers/lovesexuality/sexoutsidemarriage.html - broken link)

Old 06-19-2011, 01:16 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The problem I have with this philosophy is that we humans have a very limited idea of what real love is. There's a very strong tendency to think love is just a warm and fuzzy feeling. When people don't have that feeling any more, many think something's "wrong" and want to divorce only to look for a new "love".

Having to sign a legal contract makes people think twice about walking away when things get difficult. Jesus loved everyone unconditionally, even those who were difficult to love. He even expressed anger and had harsh words for some, but that didn't mean he didn't love them.
That's because their fear is stronger than their love for another. They go in search of the material things that might make them happy instead of looking within themselves to find the root cause. Love overcomes everything and if a divorce is needed then they truely aren't building on love as the rock for solidarity.

I have to disagree with the second part because if Jesus ever showed anger, He would not have been perfect and sinless. Anger is not an attribute of God's and it is born out of fear. He may have raised His voice to be heard but it surely wasn't in anger.

As I previously stated, the marriage contract is man made and God doesn't care if we are married by paper or not. He only looks to the love that the two people share. Even two people who live together can have an uncomfortable breakup just as a divorce can cause one to be uncomfortable. It's not the ceremony or the paper that make it difficult, it's the bond that they shared that has been severed that causes the pain.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
snippet:

I wonder why conservative Christians are as likely or more likely to divorce than their unbelieving counterparts?

Divorce rates among Christian groups:

The slogan: "The family that prays together, stays together" is well known. There has been much anecdotal evidence that has led to "unsubstantiated claims that the divorce rate for Christians who attended church regularly, pray together or who meet other conditions is only 1 or 2 percent". [ Emphasis ours]. Dr. Tom Ellis, chairman of the Southern Baptist Convention's Council on the Family said that for "...born-again Christian couples who marry...in the church after having received premarital counseling...and attend church regularly and pray daily together..." experience only 1 divorce out of nearly 39,000 marriages -- or 0.00256 percent.

A recent study by the Barna Research Group throws extreme doubt on these estimates. Barna released the results of their poll about divorce on 1999-DEC-21. 1 They had interviewed 3,854 adults from the 48 contiguous states. The margin of error is ±2 percentage points. The survey found:

11% of the adult population is currently divorced.

25% of adults have had at least one divorce during their lifetime.

Divorce rates among conservative Christians were significantly higher than for other faith groups, and much higher than Atheists and Agnostics experience.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Source: U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas

Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
snippet:

I wonder why conservative Christians are as likely or more likely to divorce than their unbelieving counterparts?

__________________________________________________ _______________
Source: U.S. divorce rates: for various faith groups, age groups and geographical areas
It could be that people from less conservative groups tend not to bother to get married in the first place. I'm not saying it's an absolute fact, but anecdotal evidence would suggest it would be a good area to investigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity