Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:56 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
We however are not God and we are not to be like Him in many ways. We are called to love our neighbour without qualification.
But that is not what was said here:

Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Matt 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

We are to love others (including our enemies), so we will be like Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,610,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
But that is not what was said here:

Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men.

Matt 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

We are to love others (including our enemies), so we will be like Him.
These verses are describing two similar but different things. The Lord causes the rain to fall alright. Both the saved and the unsaved. That is "The general grace of God". Without this grneral grace the world would have ceased to exist long long ago. Do not confuse that with the "Special grace of God". This is God's saving Grace bestowed upon those who He has decided in His self to save from their sins.

God is kind to ungrateful and evil men. That was everyone that He has bestowed His special grace upon.
You are reading into this verse what it does not say. It does not say that God does this for ALL evil and ungrateful men. He does it for those that for His own sovereign reasons He chooses.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,449,724 times
Quote:

God is kind to ungrateful and evil men.
That was everyone that He has bestowed His special grace upon.
Special Grace - Believers
Common Grace - Unbelievers.

Or are you not versed in said doctrines?

Old 06-21-2011, 02:16 PM

64,020 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
The love of God lies within a very narrow angle. He loves His own, His children, His adopted. Those who can be called Christian. Outside of this narrow way lies only judgement.
In this world you get either Justice from God or Grace from God. There is nothing else.

We however are not God and we are not to be like Him in many ways. We are called to love our neighbour without qualification. We are ordered to care for the poor, the sick, the homeless, all men regardless of how they appear to us. This is where the love of God is reflected in our lives. It's also where Christians stumble badly, rejecting people because they are gay or less holy than thou in any ways.

We Christians are just sinners saved by grace and we always have to keep in mind that we are no better than anyone else. In fact maybe we are worse in many ways because the nonbeliever does not have the benefit of the Holy Spirit like we do.
Thanks for confirming my assessment of your views and your "love of God and each other." Your understanding of God's love is far from Christ, IMO. I have no respect for exclusivists who appoint themselves to special status by their beliefs. Good day. Peace be with you.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Special Grace - Believers
Common Grace - Unbelievers.

Or are you not versed in said doctrines?
That is what I said. The special Grace that God bestows upon believers is upon Evil men as "He loved us while we were still sinners". It's still particular grace.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,790,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I know there is a huge chasm between what Fundamentalists and Universalists believe, but there is common ground believe it or not.

There is a place that we commonly refer to as "heaven" that is all nice and loving and that is about it.
The question for the reader of the Bible is ....
After the two rebellions (one in heaven, the other in the Garden) was the policy of unlimited access a reality?

Why would God limit the access to the Tree of life in the Garden but have an eventual unlimited access to the Water of life in heaven?...
that is an inconsistent policy for a God that never changes.

What is the purpose of issuing an OT covenant only to be replaced by a NT covenant if heaven has an eventual unlimited access to the Water of Life?
We have access to the water now. Christ says He will give it without cost to those who want it. Those who reject it, have no eternal life.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:25 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,647,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We have access to the water now. Christ says He will give it without cost to those who want it. Those who reject it, have no eternal life.
NO, no , no , we do have access to the water now and Christ gives it without any cost. Those who reject it have a chance to accept it in the next life, whether you like that or not. You can't prove otherwise.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:03 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,790,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
NO, no , no , we do have access to the water now and Christ gives it without any cost.
In your haste to disagree, you did not realize that was what I said. Christ will give it to whomever wants it, but He will not force you to drink.

Quote:
Those who reject it have a chance to accept it in the next life, whether you like that or not. You can't prove otherwise.
You can't prove a negative. The burden of proof belongs to the person making the claim, and that would be you. The Bible does not talk about a second chances after death.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:25 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,735,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In your haste to disagree, you did not realize that was what I said. Christ will give it to whomever wants it, but He will not force you to drink.

You can't prove a negative. The burden of proof belongs to the person making the claim, and that would be you. The Bible does not talk about a second chances after death.
After physical death or spiritual death ?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Thanks for confirming my assessment of your views and your "love of God and each other." Your understanding of God's love is far from Christ, IMO. I have no respect for exclusivists who appoint themselves to special status by their beliefs. Good day. Peace be with you.
I have no special status because of my beliefs. You know, Satan believes, and trembles. Everything I am as a Christian is all of God and none of me. He chose me before the foundation of the world as Paul says. He regenerated my dead heart into a heart of flesh. My dead heart became alive by the sovereign grace of God. I did nothing to deserve it and in fact I did everything to not deserve it. He keeps me day by day, hour by hour. He gives me his blessed assurance,even though I fall so often. He does not condemn me but picks me up and sets me on the path once again. By His Spirit He strengthens me to walk closer to Him. He sends me trials to refine me and to know for sure that He alone is worthy of my trust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity