Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 02:04 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,598,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I usually abandon all efforts to reason with unreasoning credulity as we have encountered here. The premises that are accepted are so unreasonable and impossible to justify that any discussion proceeding from them is moot. Still I admire your tenacity in not letting the irrationality go unchallenged. I suppose it is a character flaw that I am so easily put off by the intransigence of it.
All that I can understand from your post is that you do not believe in the bible. Talk about unreasoning credulity. Do you believe in the"Virgin birth"? Do you believe a man could rise from the dead?
Are you going to "Reason" your way into those beliefs? There is nothing about the supernatural that is reasonable. It's beyond reason. The man who relies upon his reason in order to understand God is doomed to total failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 05:37 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,444,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Glad to hear you are an Augustine fan. It shows in your theological ideas. What's your take on Acquinas ?
Thanks for the laugh

Old 06-23-2011, 06:42 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
All that I can understand from your post is that you do not believe in the bible. Talk about unreasoning credulity. Do you believe in the"Virgin birth"? Do you believe a man could rise from the dead?
Are you going to "Reason" your way into those beliefs? There is nothing about the supernatural that is reasonable. It's beyond reason. The man who relies upon his reason in order to understand God is doomed to total failure.
This is exactly what Paul was talking about in 1 Cor when he spoke about the wisdom of man vs God's wisdom.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:11 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,584,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Yes, I believe there is common ground I think it has to do with not mixing the physical with the spiritual.

The OT covenant was a physical covenant.

The new covenant is spiritual.
In Genesis...Adam died in the spirit so that the struggle that ensued focused on the physical. This changed when "The Christ" gave himself as ransom so as to regain that which was lost..."The Spirit of God." aisi

John 18:36 Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from thence."

Peace!

Last edited by ans57; 06-23-2011 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-23-2011, 08:01 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
The OT covenant was a physical covenant.

The new covenant is spiritual.
I believe this is true.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:21 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
All that I can understand from your post is that you do not believe in the bible.
I covered this before . . . so stop lying. I believe in the bible . . . just not ignorantly, stupidly or magically.
Quote:
Talk about unreasoning credulity. Do you believe in the"Virgin birth"? Do you believe a man could rise from the dead?
There is no supernatural!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
This is exactly what Paul was talking about in 1 Cor when he spoke about the wisdom of man vs God's wisdom.
Bah! He was talking about the extant "wisdom" of the time . . . hardly impressive . . . astrology, magi, and . . . Magicadoolah, midgicaboolah, bibbity bobbity Boo!!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:44 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,514,512 times
Quote:

Quote:
Bah! He was talking about the extant "wisdom" of the time . . . hardly impressive . . . astrology, magi, and . . . Magicadoolah, midgicaboolah, bibbity bobbity Boo!!

ah ..... the wisdom and intelligence of the mystic enlightenment.

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”

Nothing like having a target on your back..is there.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:44 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
ah ..... the wisdom and intelligence of the mystic enlightenment.
“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”
When you DO meet God (and I am sure you will . . . despite all indications to the contrary) . . . the experience will destroy all the "precepts and doctrines of men" that cloud your vision of the Lord. That is enlightenment.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:00 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,514,512 times
Quote:
When you DO meet God (and I am sure you will . . . despite all indications to the contrary) . . . the experience will destroy all the "precepts and doctrines of men" that cloud your vision of the Lord. That is enlightenment.
You're correct in odd sense ... I can guaranty also that all indications to the contrary I won't be meeting up with whom you call God. Because what your God calls "enlightenment" ... my God calls a "black hole"

Old 06-24-2011, 02:01 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,732,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
You're correct in odd sense ... I can guaranty also that all indications to the contrary I won't be meeting up with whom you call God. Because what your God calls "enlightenment" ... my God calls a "black hole"
My God's better than your God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity