Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,270,754 times

Advertisements

DID JESUS SAY IT?

Mark 16: 15 And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Some say this passage doesn’t belong in the Bible. There are two Greek manuscripts, (Codex Vaticanus and Sinaiticus) that were written around 350 AD which do not contain the last twelve verses of the gospel of Mark (along with many other verses including the 1000 year reign of Christ (Rev.20:1-6). All other Greek manuscripts (about 500 of them) do contain them.

Some say that baptism is not mentioned in the second half of the passage, therefore, they disregard that it is in the first half! They reason that Jesus did not say you would be condemned if you weren’t baptized, even though jesus didn't say that. They fail to notice that there are two parts to this passage. The first part tells us what we must do to be saved. We must believe and be baptized to be saved. The second part tells us who will be lost. Anyone who does not believe Jesus will be condemned!

DO YOU BELIEVE THE WORDS OF JESUS?

Listen to what He says.

John 12:48 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

John 14:23 23 Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching.

John 15: 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love.

1 John 2:3-6 3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.

Luke 6:46-49 "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you? 47Everyone who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: 48he is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house and could not shake it, because it had been well built.49 But the one who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the stream broke against it, immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great."

DID JESUS SAY IT?

Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Luke 24:46 He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, 47 and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Did Peter carry out Jesus' command to make disciples by baptizing them?

Did Peter preach repentance for the forgiveness of sins on Pentecost?

Acts 2: 38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Did the Philippian jailer hear the word, believe and get baptized?

Acts 16: 29 The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. 30 He then brought them out and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” 31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized.

Were all of the believers baptized in the early church?

Acts 2:41 – Church at Jerusalem - 3000 believed and were baptized
Acts 8:12-16 – Church at Samaria – believed and were baptized
Acts 10:48 – Church at Caesarea - Peter commanded them to be baptized
Acts 16:14-33 – Church at Philippi – Lydia and Phillippian jailer baptized
Acts 18:8 – Church at Corinth – believed and were baptized
Acts 19:1-6 – Church at Ephesus – Paul re-baptizes certain disciples
Galatians 3:27 – Church at Galatia - Believed Paul and baptized into Christ
Colossians 2:12 – Church at Colosse; they were buried with Christ in baptism
Romans 6:1-4 – Church at Rome – Buried in baptism – Died to sin

Have you believed the words of Jesus? Are you willing to take the chance and say that Mark 16:15-16 is not part of the Bible? Are you willing to take the chance and ignore the first half of the verse which says, "He who believes and is baptized shall be saved?"

Are you willing to take the chance that Acts 2:38 doesn't mean exactly what it says it means, and that the best Greek translators in the world made a mistake? Are you willing to take the chance that just maybe they meant, "Repent and be baptized "because" your sins have already been forgiven?

Remember the words of Jesus, "There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day.

What will you do with Jesus' words?

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 04:20 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
I believe Jesus said the words that have been translated into english, but not necessarily are they what people believe they mean based upon an interpretation of those translated words.

One of the meanings of the ancient greek word "katakrino" is to Judge against. It is a common misconception that judgment inherantly means burn in hell or in the case of anihillation to cease to exist (of course not before they are tortured ).

Considering Gods promise to save all mankind in 1 Timothy 2:4 we can see that unbelief is not tolerated. Why is it not tolerated? Well unbelievers are judged against so that NO ONE IS LOST FOREVER.

Certainly all mankind could not be saved if unbelief was ignored.

So yes, Jesus did say that, and it is a wonderful assurance for human beings.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
It does not say you are condemned if you are not baptized, it says you are condemned if you do not believe.

Condemned:

1 Thessalonians 1: 6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed. This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It does not say you are condemned if you are not baptized, it says you are condemned if you do not believe.

Condemned:

1 Thessalonians 1: 6 God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed. This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.
It doesn't have to say it. The second part DOES NOT NEGATE the first part. You can spin it anyway you want to, but you'd better hope you're right. Personally, I believe Jesus when He says, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved." I also believe Him when He says we will be judged by His words.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
It doesn't have to say it. The second part DOES NOT NEGATE the first part. You can spin it anyway you want to, but you'd better hope you're right. Personally, I believe Jesus when He says, "He who believes and is baptized will be saved." I also believe Him when He says we will be judged by His words.
When you become a believer you are baptized in spirit. Think about the thief on the cross for example. Jesus promised him that they would be together in paradise the same day, and there was no way for him to get baptized. Water baptism is a good thing though, since it is a public announcement of faith.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
When you become a believer you are baptized in spirit. Think about the thief on the cross for example. Jesus promised him that they would be together in paradise the same day, and there was no way for him to get baptized. Water baptism is a good thing though, since it is a public announcement of faith.
We are baptized in water for the forgiveness of our sins, and we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The theif on the cross does not negate what Jesus said. "He who believes and is baptized will be saved." You can choose to accept or reject the words of Jesus. Each of us will have to give an account of himself/herself.

The theif on the cross lived and died under the Old Testament. Christian baptism (for remission of sins and gift of Holy Spirit) did not begin until the day of Pentecost. Besides that, Jesus had the authority to forgive anyone He chose to.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use the thief as my example for salvation. I prefer to believe what Jesus said. "He who believes and is baptized will be saved."

Remember, it will be by His words that we are judged by.

Katie

Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 PM

335 posts, read 375,683 times
Quote:
Instead of just selecting a few verses, the whole account helps in understanding the application.

The Disciples Commissioned

14Afterward He appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at the table; and He reproached them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who had seen Him after He had risen.

(He is specifically talking to his Apostles here, not to any religion or individual which happens along later)

15And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.

(He gave them the commission to preach)

16"He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

(These were ones who believed what was taught by those whom Jesus commissioned)

17"These signs will accompany those who have believed:in My name they will cast out demons, they will speak with new tongues;

18they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

(Obvious evidence would accompany belief at that time in relation to their message)

19So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God. 20And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the signs that followed.] [And they promptly reported all these instructions to Peter and his companions. And after that, Jesus Himself sent out through them from east to west the sacred and imperishable proclamation of eternal salvation.]

(Even when it apparently involved the other disciples, beyond the 11, the signs indicated they were doing his work)

I would have to agree with Finn on the spritual aspect of baptism because anyone who presumes to be filling this role today is only acting on presumption unless they have this same evidence mentioned in scripture to back it up. I don't see it. There are a lot of people being baptized into the conflicting theologies of religions. The message Jesus entrusted his disciples with was not in conflict.

Last edited by Driftwood2011; 04-25-2011 at 06:56 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
We are baptized in water for the forgiveness of our sins, and we receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The theif on the cross does not negate what Jesus said. "He who believes and is baptized will be saved." You can choose to accept or reject the words of Jesus. Each of us will have to give an account of himself/herself.

The theif on the cross lived and died under the Old Testament. Christian baptism (for remission of sins and gift of Holy Spirit) did not begin until the day of Pentecost. Besides that, Jesus had the authority to forgive anyone He chose to.

Personally, I wouldn't want to use the thief as my example for salvation. I prefer to believe what Jesus said. "He who believes and is baptized will be saved."

Remember, it will be by His words that we are judged by.

Katie
I have been baptized in water, but it is certainly not a requirement for salvation. There is only one requirement, and it is repeated some 200 times in the Bible: faith, not works or rituals. In Acts 10, people received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues BEFORE being baptised in water. How come? Because they were SAVED before water baptism. They were baptised in the Holy Spirit, and that is what saved them.

For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Mark 16:15-16 "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

Yes. Jesus did say this.

What does it mean?..."...He that believeth and is baptised shall be saved..."...

Jesus did not say that a man could not be saved without baptism, but he has strongly implied that where this is neglected "knowing it to be a command of the Saviour," it endangers the salvation of the soul. Faith and baptism are the beginnings of a Christian life: Faith being the beginning of piety in the soul, baptism is the manifestation of the believer's faith before men.

Faith is more expressly required to salvation than to baptism.

Simon Magus believed and was baptized, yet was not saved, Acts 8:13..."Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done."

The fact that Simon was not a real Christian is apparent from the whole narrative, Acts 8:18 states, "And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,"...and Acts 8:21-23 states, "Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God. Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity."

Sanctification comes from God through the Baptism of the Holy Ghost when a believer is truly repentant...and born again...changed into the character of Christ Jesus...forsaking all willfull sin...or in other words...obeying the Ten Commandments of God, and not transgressing them (for sin is the transgression of the law of God). John baptosed with water...but God will baptise the repentant child of God with the Holy Ghost and POWER! to be an overcomer of their sinful nature! \o/ Hallelujah!

John answered, saying unto [them] all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: Luke 3:16.

Acts 1:5 "For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

If you are not born again of the Spirit, and baptised in the Holy Ghost you will not enter into the Kingdom of God...you will be burned up...as in annihilated...as in consumed completely...

Matthew 3:12 "His winnowing fork is in his hand, and he will clear his threshing floor, gathering his wheat into the barn and burning up the chaff with unquenchable fire." The fire is that which is unquenchable...the burning up is a completion...an end to the soul.

Last edited by Verna Perry; 04-25-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 PM

It says nothing about those who are not baptized. It only says that those who believe and are baptized are saved and that those who do not believe are condemned. Back then it was assumed that all believers were baptised, but the verse says nothing about those who believe and are not baptized.

If you lived in Texas you could say that "those who believe and wear a cowboy hat are saved, and those who do not believe are condemned". It says nothing about those believers who do not wear a cowboy hat.

If it said "those who do not believe and those who believe, but are not baptized are condemned" then it would make baptism a requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity