Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2011, 10:00 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
That verse there at the end comes from the parable of the wedding. As you will recall, the guests were invited, but refused to attend for one reason or the other, so the feast was thrown open to anyone who would come. That's a parable about the Jews rejection of Christ, and the subsequent taking of the Gospel to the Gentiles. The setting of a wedding speaks to the marriage of the Lamb to his bride, the Church.

Note that man cast out of the wedding party had not properly attired himself. He wanted to come to the ceremony, but had not prepared himself to do so. He just sort of walked in, still in his street clothes. Since he was the only one rejected, it must be assumed that the others had properly attired themselves and were allowed to remain.

At a traditional Jewish wedding, the groom and his groomsmen wear the kittel, a long, white robe which also serves as a burial shroud. It's use is linked to that latter use and to the verse in Isa 1:18, "our sins shall be made as white as snow."

Now, look at the marriage supper of the Lamb in Rev. 19. How are those who come attired?

vs 8: And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.

And why will the bride (us, the Church) be granted the right to wear our kittel?

vs. 7: His wife has made herself ready.

See? The man who was rejected in the parable had not made himself ready! He just wanted to come without having done anything to prepare! It's not that he wasn't chosen, but that HE chose not to do what was necessary to be accepted! Matt 7: 20-22 illustrates this point very well.

As for the rest of it? I will not dispute words with Calvinism because that can go on all day and Paul warned us not to do that.

However, I will say this: I reject the doctrine of predestination simply because it must be grounded on the idea that man has literally no free will, that he can do nothing on his own, that God controls his every action, that He directs everything people do. That necessarily must lead to the conclusion that God causes us to sin, rather than just allows us to sin, and that's so contrary to the revelation of God found throughout the Bible that it doesn't bear arguing about.
Isa 45:7 forming light, and creating darkness; making peace, and creating evil. I, Jehovah, do all these things.

This is from the literal translation of the Bible...

Isa 45:7 I formH3335 the light,H216 and createH1254 darkness:H2822 I makeH6213 peace,H7965 and createH1254 evil:H7451 IH589 the LORDH3068 doH6213 allH3605 theseH428 things.
H7451
רעה רע
ra‛ râ‛âh
rah, raw-aw'
From H7489; bad or (as noun) evil (naturally or morally). This includes the second (feminine) form; as adjective or noun: - adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease (-ure), distress, evil ([-favouredness], man, thing), + exceedingly, X great, grief (-vous), harm, heavy, hurt (-ful), ill (favoured), + mark, mischief, (-vous), misery, naught (-ty), noisome, + not please, sad (-ly), sore, sorrow, trouble, vex, wicked (-ly, -ness, one), worse (-st) wretchedness, wrong. [Including feminine ra’ah; as adjective or noun.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Isa 45:7 forming light, and creating darkness; making peace, and creating evil. I, Jehovah, do all these things.

This is from the literal translation of the Bible...

Isa 45:7 I formH3335 the light,H216 and createH1254 darkness:H2822 I makeH6213 peace,H7965 and createH1254 evil:H7451 IH589 the LORDH3068 doH6213 allH3605 theseH428 things.
H7451
רעה רע
ra‛ râ‛âh
rah, raw-aw'
From H7489; bad or (as noun) evil (naturally or morally). This includes the second (feminine) form; as adjective or noun: - adversity, affliction, bad, calamity, + displease (-ure), distress, evil ([-favouredness], man, thing), + exceedingly, X great, grief (-vous), harm, heavy, hurt (-ful), ill (favoured), + mark, mischief, (-vous), misery, naught (-ty), noisome, + not please, sad (-ly), sore, sorrow, trouble, vex, wicked (-ly, -ness, one), worse (-st) wretchedness, wrong. [Including feminine ra’ah; as adjective or noun.]

Of course He created evil. He created everything; nothing exists outside His will.

However, saying that He created evil is a far cry from saying He directs us to commit it.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Actually, the prohibition is strictly on using God's name frivolously during oath-taking. "In vain" in Hebrew means, in falsehood.
When a man says he has free will, he puts himself on the Throne of God...

Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Actually, the prohibition is strictly on using God's name frivolously during oath-taking. "In vain" in Hebrew means, in falsehood.
Glad to see someone is studious...Also, what Baalam did was trying to use the Name to put a curse on a people for money...

Old 07-23-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
When a man says he has free will, he puts himself on the Throne of God...
How so? Our free will is a gift from God, not something we took for ourselves.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:32 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,834,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaul View Post
no man living can judge to say if you will or not...period.
It is not a matter of judging it is a matter of Biblical truth.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
How so? Our free will is a gift from God, not something we took for ourselves.
And where does our will eminate from?...If nothing exists outside of God's will?...Think Deeper...Look at the big picture...Why did God create us?...

Old 07-23-2011, 03:40 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
And where does our will eminate from?...If nothing exists outside of God's will?...Think Deeper...Look at the big picture...Why did God create us?...
Think deeper? You are thinking deeper into the well of superstition, where nothing can be learned.

You have to think outside the box to truly learn, though I understand religions considers thinking outside the box as blasphemy for such thoughts make the irrational concepts that is religion become clear.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
We were created in the image of God. Does God have free will? Why then shouldn't we?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:16 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,875 times
Default No DEBATE HERE!!! The truth, only the truth, nothing but

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am interested in hearing what Christians truly believe, based on my life to date. Given the following facts about me, am I destined for hell? I am a 27 year old white male.
  • I am an atheist and don't believe in religion, God or anything supernatural.
  • I am homosexual and have acted upon it numerous times.
  • I was a difficult child and would disrespect my parents, swear at them, etc.
  • I use God's name in vein almost daily.
  • I haven't attended church in 14 years, immediately after I was confirmed.
Now, to put things in perspective, I am a mature man with a good, professional job who never commits crimes and wants the best for society. I have a positive attitude and believe that my own actions affect what will happen in my life. I rarely drink alcohol and never even tried doing drugs. I take great care of myself, eat healthy, exercise and treat others with respect and kindness.

But, if you were to guess, am I going to go to hell? I don't want to hear any responses such as "It's not up to me to decide...that's God's decision on judgment day," etc. I want to hear YOUR opinion.

Thanks!

I won't give an "opinion", just the truth. Yes, you will surely die. It's not a laughing matter, but somehow deep down, I have a feeling you already know that! Jesus is knocking on your heart, open, let Him in and create in you a new creature.

When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand. (Ezekiel 33:8)

But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet to warn the people and the sword comes and takes the life of one of them, that man will be taken away because of his sin, but I will hold the watchman accountable for his blood.'
(Ezekiel 33: 6)

Consider yourself warned! But please do not make a laughing stock out of these sincere brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus (you know who you are) who come here to you and so many others continuously day in and day out, laboring to bring you into the knowledge of the truth. For these I will speak on their behalf...we will not be held accountable, you've been warned, amen? So here it is again, one last time....

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved.

He that believeth on Him is not condemned: but He that believeth not is condemned already, because He hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.
(John 3: 16-21) King James Version

And in case you need another............

For God had such love for the world that He gave His only Son, so that whoever has faith in Him may not come to destruction but have eternal life.

God did not send His Son into the world to be judge of the world; He sent Him so that the world might have salvation through Him.

The man who has faith in Him does not come up to be judged; but he who has no faith in Him has been judged even now, because he has no faith in the name of the only Son of God.

And this is the test by which men are judged: the light has come into the world and men have more love for the dark than for the light, because their acts are evil.

The light is hated by everyone whose acts are evil and he does not come to the light for fear that his acts will be seen.

But he whose life is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his acts have been done by the help of God.
(John 3: 16-21) Bible in Basic English

Do with it as you wish, it's on your head.

With love, Betsey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity