Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Actually Paul it did, the law and the prophets all pointed to the truth - Christ, and if we didn't have the recorded word of God, well, how would we know about Jesus? I believe we need to be thankful that we all have the scriptures to testify of Him.
I'm sorry Ken i disagree. Jesus said the scriptures testified of Him(the Truth).
Truth is not a belief(the grave error of fundamental christianity),it's the reality of who God really IS. Jesus said if you have seen me(not the man,but the life IN the man)you have seen the Father(Who God really IS).

Please understand in no way am i belittling the scriptures that testify of the Truth(Jesus Christ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:58 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,389,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Only the Bible has the absolute truth...
Not when you consider the external thoughts of men.
Only the Spirit of Truth is absolute; free from imperfection.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,559,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Not when you consider the external thoughts of men.
Only the Spirit of Truth is absolute; free from imperfection.
Poeple's opinion v's the Bible. The stuff of cults. Opinion that is.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,631,430 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Of course you have to guess what the convoluted bible speak actually means, assuming it meant anything originally.
Ok, I had to respond. Bible speak? LOL!

Quote:
How many posts do you see here on CD where it is clear that English is not the posters first language. Some just don't make sense as they translate from their native language to English.
I know, right? How very intuitive of you.

Quote:
Now compound that perhaps hundreds of times with all the re-writes and translations from language to language to language, by people we don't know if they were fully literate in the languages they were translating to or from, then factor into interpretations, agendas, fears, phobias, bias and hatred they had as individuals (and yes Dorthy, everyone has agendas, fears, phobias, biases and hatreds) and it is human nature it influences their efforts.
Ok, re-writes and translations..........I can go along with that. Do you live in Nevada? Look, I'm just as on board with speak English if you're in an English speaking country but you seem to have a particular bone to pick with someone other than me.

Quote:
This assuming that the original was an accurate and coherent document to begin with, and we know that it wasn't, as it is just the fears, bias, agenda, phobias and hatreds of the original authors, who were mere men, not gods, so you holy book is seriously flawed from the get-go, only to be further polluted by untold rewrites and translations.
Wow, that's harsh. The re-writes and translations are what made it what it is today......a flawed but reliable source and instruction booklet. There's more truth in those pages than you will find anywhere else. Trust me on that one. Or don't, research it for yourself. We also have it written on our hearts, so that tugging you feel is Jesus knocking, no joke. He's so real, all you have to do is reach out or open up........to the possibility.

Quote:
Even if you believe the "original" were valid to give any credence to today's version is absurd, for it cannot possibly resemble the original, too much tampering has occurred.
I admit that there are serious flaws in the KJV or anything based on that.....I won't argue with that point. We have to go back to the original languages to really understand certain things, and as a UR I don't need to go any further with that since you've been privy to the debates here concerning it.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,769,319 times
The truth is not concealed from us, it is concealed for us ...

Old 07-22-2011, 11:22 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,546,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I'm sorry Ken i disagree. Jesus said the scriptures testified of Him(the Truth).
Truth is not a belief(the grave error of fundamental christianity),it's the reality of who God really IS. Jesus said if you have seen me(not the man,but the life IN the man)you have seen the Father(Who God really IS).

Please understand in no way am i belittling the scriptures that testify of the Truth(Jesus Christ).

And, what is a testimony except a witness of the truth? If the scriptures are not truth, then you're saying they testified falsely, ie: lied.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,389,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The truth is not concealed from us, it is concealed for us ...
Reserved for those who apprehend clearly and with certainty: "Faith is not believing that God can, it's knowing that he will."

Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,769,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Reserved for those who apprehend clearly and with certainty: "Faith is not believing that God can, it's knowing that he will."
Well the fundies tell me that God desires something that he can never have ... They tell me that God has pipe dreams ... Am i supposed to feel secure thinking that is true? really ? ...

Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
And, what is a testimony except a witness of the truth? If the scriptures are not truth, then you're saying they testified falsely, ie: lied.
Stillkit..............Jesus Christ the son of God said HE IS the Truth. If you want to know what Truth is,it's standing right before you,but just like Pilate we are blind to it.

Scriptures testify of Jesus Christ who IS the Truth.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Poeple's opinion v's the Bible. The stuff of cults. Opinion that is.
Christians opinion of the bible v's Jesus Christ,most definetely the stuff of cults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity