Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,994,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Hey Thrill,
Perfect love casts out all fear.
Think on that as you continue to seek.
I know you are going through some turmoil right now but I have to say from my perspective, it is a beautiful thing. Because you are obviously showing the fruit of one who is seeking to "love God" and "love your neighbor as yourself" through your struggles to find truth. You have a lot of brothers and sisters behind you hoping you will make it around that curve in the road....so the whole magnficent vista that is the love of God opens up and brings you joyfully to your knees.

God bless you, Thrill.
I know that what I said really doesn't help you where you are right now. But I just wanted to express it because I know others feel the same way.

peace,
sparrow
Thank you, .sparrow. Rarely do words of comfort flow from people like they do from you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,396,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So then why does Jesus say "..and to give His life a ransom for many". It makes it sound like He only died for His elect just like the Calvinists say He did. Now in other places He says, "Those that are sick do not need a physician. I have come not to call the righteous, but the sinners to repentance." So interpreted, it means that Jesus came to die for the unrighteous; that there are ones among us who are already living righteous lives and so do not need Jesus' cross to make them righteous. Or am I reading all this stuff too literally?
Thrill those who are not sick,are just not sick in their own eyes,this is what Jesus was saying,ehen He said the sick do not need a physician

We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone How can you say that we shall be set free?” John 8:33.

Think for just a moment who is saying this, was this you average punter ?(your tax collector and prostitute), or someone so full of pride and arrogance and in so much darkness that he doesn't know himself(no points for guessing who this is).

Jesus also said if i be lifted up i will draw all men unto me John 12:32.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,450,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So Ken you are saying that the Truth came by Moses ?. I do not believe it did, John 1:17 says it came by Jesus Christ who is THE Truth.Do you not think it would have stated that truth came by Moses also if it was so ?.

I'm certainly thankful for the scriptures because they testify of the Truth who IS Jesus Christ.

I'm convinced if any man wants to know what Truth IS,all he needs to do is look at the life of Jesus Christ.Which throughout the scriptures we are encouraged to do.
No I don't believe the truth ONLY came by Moses, but pointed to Him. Without the OT and NT we have nothing. Blessings!

Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
No I don't believe the truth ONLY came by Moses, but pointed to Him. Without the OT and NT we have nothing. Blessings!
Ken how did the early believers get on without the NT scriptures ?.I honestly believe if we "Let this mind be in us, which was also in Christ Jesus",then everything else will take of its self.

So then the faith is by a report, and the report through a saying of God Romans 10:17.

I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints.To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.Col 1: 25-27.

The word of God in its fulness is Christ in us.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Ken how did the early believers get on without the NT scriptures ?.I honestly believe if we "Let this mind be in us, which was also in Christ Jesus",then everything else will take of its self.

So then the faith is by a report, and the report through a saying of God Romans 10:17.

I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness— the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints.To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.Col 1: 25-27.

Paul...they had the "holy scriptures" that pointed to Him. The LXX was littered with Messianic properties, but alas, the Jews didn't like it because it pointed too much to Christ, so they rewrote it, hence the Masoretic. That's what Paul expands on so intensely that Abraham, Moses, etc all had faith in what was coming, Christ.

The mystery that Paul is talking about is the Non Israelite inclusion. That was what perplexed them all, but yet had faith in. They didn't get it, only Paul, and Christ of course, did, not even Peter or James etc. Collossians is primarily a "non" Israelite audience, and he is saying, that "Christ in you" that is, apart from the 7000 remnant that were being saved in this process, or called out, of their beggarly covenant, will be grafted under His stewardship. At least that is how I see it, for now

Old 07-24-2011, 12:53 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,573,558 times
Quote:

As St. Jerome put it: "Ignorance of scripture is ignorance of Christ."

You cannot separate Jesus Christ from Old Testament scripture, nor can you understand the things of Christ without comparing what you think the Spirit is telling you against the Bible. The Spirit will NEVER contradict scripture!

Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

You cannot separate Jesus Christ from Old Testament scripture, nor can you understand the things of Christ without comparing what you think the Spirit is telling you against the Bible. The Spirit will NEVER contradict scripture!
As St.pcamps put it "You cannot make Jesus Christ scripture".

Scripture testify's of who Jesus Christ IS . John 5:39

What we have received is not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may understand what God has freely given us.1 Cor 2:12

Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
As St.pcamps put it "You cannot make Jesus Christ scripture".
especially the saint part

Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 PM

64,022 posts, read 40,325,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The OT simply tells us of Him, what He will do so we can recognize Him . . . and the impact He will have on the world so we can validate Him. It does NOT tell us what God is like or His motives. Why would we take the OT prophets' second hand interpretations of inspirations over the actual life, example and teachings of Christ Himself? God is as Christ revealed Him to us . . . NOT as the OT prophets believed Him to be in their ignorance, fear and superstition.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The OT simply tells us of Him, what He will do so we can recognize Him . . . and the impact He will have on the world so we can validate Him. It does NOT tell us what God is like or His motives. Why would we take the OT prophets' second hand interpretations of inspirations over the actual life, example and teachings of Christ Himself? God is as Christ revealed Him to us . . . NOT as the OT prophets believed Him to be in their ignorance, fear and superstition.
Amen Mystic.
Jesus said " learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke IS easy and my burden is light.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity