Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:01 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,952,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is a discussion about mormon beliefs.
And I have been discussing it, but I asked you a question. Why ask questions while telling me you already know the answer?

According to the post I linked, Katzpur says they are not taught they can become a diety and while unsure of the ultimate possibility of having their own planet, there is nothing that Katzpur states has been taught or any wording in Mormon literature. Katzpur explained that iut appears the only people saying that about planets are the ones who are not Mormon.

You then informed me that they DO believe they can become a God, so why ask, if you have already made up your mind?

It is a reasonable question.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,505,135 times
Quote:
I am looking for specific answers to these questions:

- can a mormon become a God
- can a mormon be rewarded his/her own planet
- was God once a man
- is Adam our present God
There own literature (scriptures) and former presidents writings \ speaches \ sermons speak for themselves.

A: Gospel Principles, p. 9
  • "All good things come from God. Everything that he does is to help his children become like him-a god."

A: Gospel Principles, p.14
  • Since we could not progress further in heaven, our Heavenly Father called a Grand Council to present his plan for our progression (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 348, 349, 365). We learned that if we followed his plan, we would become like him. We would have a resurrected body; we would have all power in heaven and on earth; we would become heavenly parents and have spirit children just as he does (see D&C 132:19-20). We learned that he would provide an earth for us where we would be tested (see Abraham 3:24-26).
- was God once a man

A: Gosp Doc Teach Man - D&C, p. 186 (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 345).
  • In a sermon given at the funeral of Elder King Follett on 7 April 1844, the Prophet Joseph Smith taught:
"God himself was once as we are and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret. If the veil were rent today, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by his power, was to make himself visible,-I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form-like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man; for Adam was created in the very fashion, image and likeness of God, and received instruction from, and walked, talked and conversed with him, as one man talks and communes with another"

Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,123,455 times
Even if their beliefs seem outrageous or even blasphemous to me, I think I can get along with Mormons if they are basically good honest people.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There own literature (scriptures) and former presidents writings \ speaches \ sermons speak for themselves.

A: Gospel Principles, p. 9
  • "All good things come from God. Everything that he does is to help his children become like him-a god."

A: Gospel Principles, p.14
  • Since we could not progress further in heaven, our Heavenly Father called a Grand Council to present his plan for our progression (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 348, 349, 365). We learned that if we followed his plan, we would become like him. We would have a resurrected body; we would have all power in heaven and on earth; we would become heavenly parents and have spirit children just as he does (see D&C 132:19-20). We learned that he would provide an earth for us where we would be tested (see Abraham 3:24-26).
- was God once a man

A: Gosp Doc Teach Man - D&C, p. 186 (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 345).
  • In a sermon given at the funeral of Elder King Follett on 7 April 1844, the Prophet Joseph Smith taught:
"God himself was once as we are and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens! That is the great secret. If the veil were rent today, and the great God who holds this world in its orbit, and who upholds all worlds and all things by his power, was to make himself visible,-I say, if you were to see him today, you would see him like a man in form-like yourselves in all the person, image, and very form as a man; for Adam was created in the very fashion, image and likeness of God, and received instruction from, and walked, talked and conversed with him, as one man talks and communes with another"
Yes, that is what I though. Thanks for proving the evidence.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Even if their beliefs seem outrageous or even blasphemous to me, I think I can get along with Mormons if they are basically good honest people.
They are indeed. Every mormon I have known, and I have known quite a few, have been good and honest people. They are well trained in their teachings, and they are well behaved, respectful, and live a diciplined life.

There are no issues in getting along with them.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:37 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
In light of this scripture,

A Christian can believe they would become a god in some capacity.
Leave it to you....

notice the ---> " " <------ what does God ( the only one that is true and exist) say to those who think they will become a "god". God scoffs at them:
“They know nothing, they understand nothing.
They walk about in darkness;

“I said, ‘You are “gods”;
you are all sons of the Most High.’
(in other words... oh really? In your mind)

But you will die like mere men;
you will fall like every other ruler.”
( IOW ... no restoration for you...fools)

Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
In light of this scripture,

A Christian can believe they would become a god in some capacity.
I think a Christian has a duty to understand what he/she reads.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,952,736 times
Quote:
I think a Christian has a duty to understand what he/she reads.
Certainly.

So Katzpur stated that Mormons don't teach that they will become a diety. Did that help you understand?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Certainly.So Katzpur stated that Mormons don't teach that they will become a diety. Did that help you understand?
As of yet, the questions I seek answers to remain unanswered.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM

28,103 posts, read 30,005,788 times
Quote:
I open this thread to educate us about Mormonism. It is not an attack against Mormon beliefs, and Katzpur, who is a Mormon, has agreed to explain the beliefs of Mormonism.
Well, let's start by calling a spade a spade, Finn. We both know it's an attack against Mormon beliefs. But that's okay. It will give me the opportunity to clear up some misconceptions.

I actually did start a thread a long time ago for this very purpose, and since I've addressed many of these questions before, I may end up just cutting and pasting my own words rather than typing them out all over again.

Quote:
I will start by presenting this teaching, which I believe to be a Mormon belief, and Katzpur can explain if it is true or false, or maybe partially true.

Multiple Gods
==========
Have you ever heard this "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become." It is from a poem, but to many Mormons it means much more than a poem. They believe that a man can become a God, and can be given his/her own planet to rule.
This would be a good time to explain what is and what is not Mormon doctrine. As is the case with every other religion in the world, Mormonism has the right to define its own beliefs. As Mormons, we have the right to say what constitutes Mormon doctrine. Mormon doctrine is contained in four books which we consider to be scripture. They are:

1. The Holy Bible (we use the KJV)
2. The Book of Mormon
3. The Doctrine and Covenants
4. The Pearl of Great Price

Hundreds upon hundreds of books by Mormon authors (including the LDS Church leadership) have been published over the years. None of them, regardless of who they were written by, are doctrinally binding upon the members of the Church. They are simply one person's interpretation of doctrine. That is not to say that they don't contain a certain amount of truth, but it is almost certain that they contain a certain amount of error. They are virtually never used in LDS worship services or classes, but oddly enough, they are where most non-Mormons get their information on "what Mormons believe." Whenever one of these non-doctrinal sources is mentioned on this thread, I will undoubtedly point out that fact. I have asked a few individuals on the forum to please stick to the four books listed above (we call them "the Standard Works") when telling me what I believe. None of them have respected my request. All I can really say at this point about their tactics is that if every word ever uttered by every Roman Catholic Pope or by Martin Luther, John Calvin, or John Wesley was considered doctrinally binding upon today's Catholics and Protestants, those religions would be very, very different from what we see.

Quote:
Take Adam for example. According to Mormonism, Adam was once a man living on another planet, and because he was a righteous man, he was rewarded with his own planet (earth), and he became the God of planet earth. He had sexual relations with Eve and they had a son, Jesus Christ.
Whoa! We don't believe one single, solitary word of this. It is false from the get-go.

Quote:
Likewise a Mormon who lives a righteous life and goes the extra mile, can be rewarded with Godhood, and be given his own planet where he can be a God.
That's a gross over-simplification, and so it's really pretty misleading. I'll get to the explanation, but not just yet.

Quote:
Naturally this will lead to the universe having a countless number of Gods, and this is where Mormonism departs from Christianity. There are other ways where Mormonism departs from Christianity, and I will get to those later.
Thanks. Let me tackle these things one at a time, okay? Remember, it takes a lot less time to make an accusation than it does to explain the actual doctrine. Also, I have only a little while to be here this morning. I'll be gone all day and won't be able to get back to you until this evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity