Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 PM

531 posts, read 480,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Righteousness cannot be achieved if we do not understand how and why we achieve it. Christ's enigmatic revelation to Nicodemus cannot be understood without understanding the step by step nature of human learning. There is a standard pattern to human cognitive learning and the acceptance of new ideas. There must be at each new departure, a connecting link with previous knowledge or experience. Unfortunately . . . learning anything takes effort and commitment . . . something sorely lacking in far too many of us. We find it easier to just accept mindless rote application of ancient rituals and ideas without thought or reason as to why they should matter to our spiritual understanding of God or our role in life.

Jesus explained spiritual rebirth to Nicodemus. Nicodemus asked: "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born again?" Jesus answered,

John 3:4

. . . I say to thee, unless a man be born again of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is Spirit. Do not wonder that I said to thee, 'You must be born again.'

In this remarkable passage from John, the word Water has major significance. It is clear from the many references to it, that ordinary water is not what is meant here, since it is actually within each of us. There are many mentions of this internal water of life,

John 7:38,

. . . He who believes in me, as the scripture says, ' From within him there shall flow rivers of living water.' [Emphasis added]

John 4:13

. . . He, however, who drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him shall become in him a fountain of water, springing up unto life everlasting. [Emphasis added]

This water of life within us that relates to our ability to achieve rebirth must refer to the fluid surrounding our brain. It is truly a water of life.
this is good stuff. I don't believe it in the least, but it is gonna be a great study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Righteousness cannot be achieved if we do not understand how and why we achieve it.

So Abraham knew how and why he was credited for righteousness?

Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Non-biblical . . . and those verses quoted were from what source then???? Why else would the emphasis on self-control of our negative urges be such a central part of God's commands to us?
To help us Resist the Devil...

The Living Water is to quench a spiritual thirst in us. It is NOT the fluid surrounding the brain. As theories go, i can safely say, i've never heard that one before...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:45 PM

63,966 posts, read 40,253,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomtkirk View Post
So Abraham knew how and why he was credited for righteousness?
At his level of spiritual understanding the self-control was motivated by obedience . . . but his ability revealed our species had the genetic capability for self-control.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
The Living Water is to quench a spiritual thirst in us. It is NOT the fluid surrounding the brain. As theories go, i can safely say, i've never heard that one before...
The only water that determines the level of emotional self-control we possess is the water around the brain, period. You can continue to believe in some "mysterious magical spiritual water" somewhere . . . but the only water that will affect your ability for self-control is the water around your brain.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:49 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,259,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princely View Post
FOLLOW THE SON OF MAN "The one who is sent by God he speaks the words of God."The followers of the Lord were sent as He was sent. How can you not understand that.It does you no good to use the words of Paul and the books of the Apostles, they are not the word of God.Jesus spoke the words of the law and the prophets as I do.

Chronicles 16:23; Sing to the Lord, all the earth! Tell of his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous works among all the peoples!

Psalm 78:5 ;He established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers to teach to their children; that the next generation might know them, the children yet unborn, and arise and tell them to their children, so that they should set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments;

Psalm 92:5
How great are thy works, O LORD! Thy words are very deep!

Psalm 106:13
But they soon forgot his works; they did not wait for his counsel.

Psalm 111:7
The works of his hands are faithful and just; all his commands are trustworthy,

Isaiah 26:12
Lord, You will establish peace for us, For You have also done all our works in us.

Matthew 5:16
Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Good post! I agree.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
The only water that determines the level of emotional self-control we possess is the water around the brain, period. You can continue to believe in some "mysterious magical spiritual water" somewhere . . . but the only water that will affect your ability for self-control is the water around your brain.
Now that sounds like a great idea. I'll continue to believe in the water that Jesus spoke to the woman at the well about, and you can believe in what modern scientific understanding tells us of the fluid surrounding the brain.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
At his level of spiritual understanding the self-control was motivated by obedience . . . but his ability revealed our species had the genetic capability for self-control.
Can you go into greater detail about Abraham's level of spiritual understanding?

How would you categorize it?

Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Can you go into greater detail about Abraham's level of spiritual understanding?
How would you categorize it?
Primitive, concrete, dependent, like a well-trained animal capable of obedience tricks.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Primitive, concrete, dependent, like a well-trained animal capable of obedience tricks.
Can you tell me how Abraham came to believe in God? In other words, where did his primitive, concrete, dependent spiritual understanding come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity