Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 01:15 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,846,775 times

Advertisements

God created the Earth for man - and His plan will not be undone by those who foolishly imagine they are a force responsible or able to 'fix' what God has created.

The Earth has always undergone cycles and climate changes that have nothing to do with puny man's use of fossil fuel or 'scientific certainty' that man is the catalyst, culprit and solution to all change. Indeed, if it weren't for government grants, there would be far less frantic concern that the ocean levels are going to wipe-out all of today's coastal areas ... in the next 100-years (or after they are long gone and no longer responsible for their foolish predictions).

Yes, I believe we are to be good stewards of what God has provided. But, the sooner folks acknowledge that GOD, not man, is in charge and perfectly able to care for His universe, the sooner they can stop worshipping nature and pretending that 'man is god.'

Ironically, the OP's question is asked of Christians, yet, largely answered by non-Christians who imagine they understand what Christians think, ... better than Christians do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 01:21 PM

6,126 posts, read 4,616,742 times
It varies by denomination in my opinion.

Quakers are very environmentally conscious and involved, along with Episcopalians, some mainline churches (United Methodist, Presbyterian, etc.), and African American Christian churches.

The denominations that seem more indifferent or even actively hostile towards environmental stewardship (as a whole- there are exceptions to almost anything like this) are more likely to be the Fundamentalist Evangelicals, particularly the ones who aren't shy about being known as the "Religious Right".

Old 10-25-2020, 05:43 PM

63,867 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Default why aren't more Christians environmentalists?

It depends on how you define an environmentalist and what specific beliefs, attitudes, and actions you associate with the term. Generalities are useless as determinants. There are many varied interpretations of environmental concerns that often conflict with human concerns. Striking a balance is neither easy nor commonplace.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:52 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,009,720 times
Default Environmentalists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshhome View Post
For if you really believe that God created all of nature, the animals, the plants the fresh air and clean water..why do you overall support a political party and agenda which is anathema to the environment and nature? And why don't your teachings and behavior reflect stewardships for God's masterpiece? One only needs to look to the recent push by the GOP to dismantle the EPA and their abominable efforts to favor big polluters and raping of existing resources..and the deafening silence from just about every pulpit on these matters.

I am no longer a Christian, but I must say, one of the first things that turned me off to Christianity was the total silence and insensitivity towards nature and environmental conservation which I experienced in just about every church.

And if you claim to follow the bible, why don't you hearken towards Deut which implies that 'if you defile the land, it will vomit you out?' Or how about 'God will destroy those who destroy the earth' in Rev 11? If you look deeply at your behaviors and attitudes, that one SHOULD really frighten you! The irony of it all is that when folks witness the damage which will soon increase to a critical level, they will surely blame the gays and the unbelievers.

I find the attitude of most Christians rather sickening, as they view the planet as a big disposable diaper, and also see the current destruction of nature as just fulfillment of bible prophecy. I guess they just aren't smart enough to realize that religious practices of domination and subduing of the planet are creating this self fulfilling prophecy. What we need is a new spirituality which reverences the creator by honoring his masterpiece- what we have now is the total opposite.

Very good question maam. You used the scripture I would have used to support that. I fully agree we should put as little a footprint as we can on the environment. I certainly am a hypocrite, but will state that my main vehicle is a Geo metro. But I also drive an RV at 6mpg on occasion. I try, but like in all things, some do better, some do worse. The main thing is of course is serving Jehovah, that is what God looks at most. The verse you used clearly shows that God will not allow humans to destroy the earth, no matter how hard they try.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:40 AM

291 posts, read 109,626 times
most environmentalism these days is based on fake science

one person saw me mowing the lawn a year ago and she yelled "you there mowin the lawn? youre gonna make the earth 5 times hotter next year" guess what? it didnt happen. in fact us mass polluters usually live in the woods to filter most of their stuff. plus mower engine barely pollute compared to cars, thats why we have catilitic converters.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:22 AM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
God created the Earth for man - and His plan will not be undone by those who foolishly imagine they are a force responsible or able to 'fix' what God has created.

The Earth has always undergone cycles and climate changes that have nothing to do with puny man's use of fossil fuel or 'scientific certainty' that man is the catalyst, culprit and solution to all change. Indeed, if it weren't for government grants, there would be far less frantic concern that the ocean levels are going to wipe-out all of today's coastal areas ... in the next 100-years (or after they are long gone and no longer responsible for their foolish predictions).

Yes, I believe we are to be good stewards of what God has provided. But, the sooner folks acknowledge that GOD, not man, is in charge and perfectly able to care for His universe, the sooner they can stop worshipping nature and pretending that 'man is god.'

Ironically, the OP's question is asked of Christians, yet, largely answered by non-Christians who imagine they understand what Christians think, ... better than Christians do!
I think that the bolded, underlined phrase demonstrates the rather arrogant typical failing of humans to think that they are the center of creation, but it's a fairly common point of view for some Christians who often repeat what they were told about the subject but have never really put much thought into it.

I believe it's individuals, not any one denomination of Christianity, who are environmentalists. You would likely find people who care about our Earth home, as well as those who don't, in any given church setting.

This book is one I recommend highly for those Christians who do care. I've referenced it on this forum before, but I will do so again.

https://www.amazon.com/Care-Creation.../dp/0867168382

Don't be put off by the "Franciscan" connotations if the traditional saints are not part of your Christian tradition. They are not part of mine, either; however, I do admire the life of Francis of Assisi and his Christlike walk, and this aspect of Christian spiritual tradition is one that is too often neglected. It may make you think and appreciate more the wonder of the natural world of which we are a part.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,344,881 times
I believe at least in the US, most people working in the environmental movement would identify themselves as Christians. After all, they make up something like 70% of the US population.

The word "Christian" is not identical to "fundamentalist evngelical Protestant".

Old 10-26-2020, 10:28 AM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I believe at least in the US, most people working in the environmental movement would identify themselves as Christians. After all, they make up something like 70% of the US population.

The word "Christian" is not identical to "fundamentalist evangelical Protestant".

Old 10-26-2020, 12:38 PM

11,902 posts, read 3,715,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that the bolded, underlined phrase demonstrates the rather arrogant typical failing of humans to think that they are the center of creation, but it's a fairly common point of view for some Christians who often repeat what they were told about the subject but have never really put much thought into it.

I believe it's individuals, not any one denomination of Christianity, who are environmentalists. You would likely find people who care about our Earth home, as well as those who don't, in any given church setting.

This book is one I recommend highly for those Christians who do care. I've referenced it on this forum before, but I will do so again.

https://www.amazon.com/Care-Creation.../dp/0867168382

Don't be put off by the "Franciscan" connotations if the traditional saints are not part of your Christian tradition. They are not part of mine, either; however, I do admire the life of Francis of Assisi and his Christlike walk, and this aspect of Christian spiritual tradition is one that is too often neglected. It may make you think and appreciate more the wonder of the natural world of which we are a part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

The word "Christian" is not identical to "fundamentalist evngelical Protestant".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yep

Nicely put!

Old 10-27-2020, 09:21 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,083,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Dear marsh,
The ice in the artic is expanding, and the earth is cooling, not warming. That is why they changed the phrase "earth warming" to "climate change". They are simply selling a political agenda to uniformed suckers. Damn if they haven't found a mother load.
Absolutely not true. The polar ice is melting very rapidly. For the first time in history, summer cruise ships are able to navigate the Arctic northwest passage, north of Canada. The glaciers in Montana's Glacier National Park are disappearing. Eskimos are growing vegetable gardens in Greenland.

Thousands of satellites are in orbit, many of them continually photographing the earth from all angles, including the shrinking ice cap.

Who are you going to believe - the weather satellites? Or Reverend Barrett of First Baptist Dallas, who cites God's promise to Noah that the earth would never flood again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity