Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:52 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,129,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Hopefully because we are evolving as a species. Or do you not believe there really were "cave men"?
I don't know.

There's an awful lot I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,800,075 times
I do not think Moses, Jeremiah, David, Solomon and Isaiah were as ignorant as cave men.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,129,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I do not think Moses, Jeremiah, David, Solomon and Isaiah were as ignorant as cave men.
I don't think so, either. They were all fully human. A cave-man is more of an animal.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,394,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
God put His very words into Jeremiah's mouth. Can't get any better than that.

The opinions of those who do not believe that Jesus Christ (God) died on the cross for THEIR sins mean nothing to a believer. Keep your ignorance and disbelief.

Jeremiah 1
4The word of the Lord came to me, saying,
5“Before I formed you in the womb I knewa you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
6“Ah, Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.”
7But the Lord said to me, “Do not say, ‘I am only a child.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. 8Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,” declares the Lord.
9Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “Now, I have put my words in your mouth. 10See, today I appoint you over nations and kingdoms to uproot and tear down, to destroy and overthrow, to build and to plant.”

Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,394,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
I suppose you, and those that think like you, feel vindicated in your own hatred and bigotry towards those that don't share your own particular viewpoint.

And there are those who feel vindicated in their own hatred and bigotry towards those who wrote the Bible, especially Old Testament writers.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
God put His very words into Jeremiah's mouth. Can't get any better than that. ”
Yes, indeed. Here are some of those words God put into his mouth.

Jer 44:3 because of their wickedness which they committed so as to provoke Me to anger by continuing to burn sacrifices and to serve other gods whom they had not known, neither they, you, nor your fathers. 4 Yet I sent you all My servants the prophets, again and again, saying, “Oh, do not do this abominable thing which I hate.”

Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 AM

229 posts, read 333,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saved33 View Post
And there are those who feel vindicated in their own hatred and bigotry towards those who wrote the Bible, especially Old Testament writers.
I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I presume you are referring to those that point out, and dare to question things such as bible contradictions, and the old testament atrocities.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:49 AM

64,030 posts, read 40,336,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They lacked 2000+ years of accumulated human knowledge and civilization. They were just receivers of the inspirations from God but they had to interpret them using their primitive understanding, superstitions and beliefs . . . what about that do you not understand?
No . . . Finn . . . it is NOT God but the ignoramuses who translated and interpreted the scriptures into words they CHOSE. Revering and retaining their ancient ignorance is a huge stumbling block to spiritual maturity placed in the paths of those who follow religious dogma's literal interpretations and mistranslations of scripture ("precepts and doctrines of men"). . . instead of following the Living Word of God to what God has "written in our hearts."

Old 12-21-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No . . . Finn . . . it is NOT God but the ignoramuses who translated and interpreted the scriptures into words they CHOSE. Revering and retaining their ancient ignorance is a huge stumbling block to spiritual maturity placed in the paths of those who follow religious dogma's literal interpretations and mistranslations of scripture ("precepts and doctrines of men"). . . instead of following the Living Word of God to what God has "written in our hearts."
Too bad Moses, Jeremiah, David, Solomon and Isaiah didn't have you and your immaculate understanding of your own heart to tell them what to write in the Bible.

Did you read Saved33's post. Jeremiah 1:4Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, “Now, I have put my words in your mouth.

Could it be that Jeremiah was right and you are wrong?

Old 12-21-2011, 01:15 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,039,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder.

I presume you are referring to those that point out, and dare to question things such as bible contradictions, and the old testament atrocities.
Yes, even though the New Testament says that Satan was a murderer from the beginning, we are supposed to believe that God instructed his people to go slaughter other tribes and peoples and spare not even the children. Then the modern church turns around and cheers on war, but cries crocodile tears about the abortion rate because that is one of their wedge issues that they use to control the right wing politicians who continue to give "the churches" tax exempt status. Isn't that special!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity