Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,028,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have heard of some who do not, due to the incorporation of Pagan customs into Christianity.

I know that Jehovah's Witnesses do not, but many people do not believe them to be Christian.

Are there any denominations that do not celebrate Christmas, or are these mostly independent churches, and the beliefs of certain Pastors?

Just curious.
I don't celebrate Christmas. But I think the excuse of it being pagan is not a reasonable excuse to not celebrate Christmas. Christmas is a celebration of the Birth of Christ. However, we are not commanded, nor did the Apostles celebrate (according to record) the birth of Christ. I believe to celebrate birthdays is a carnal event. The wise men celebrated the coming of the King, NOT His birthday. In fact, to say that Christ was born 2000 years ago would be an error anyway. Christ is the Word of God and the Word of God has been around as long as God has I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
Christmas is one of the newest of Christian Holidays. For most of the history it was a very minor celebration with the emphasis being on the "Feast of the Resurrection" which we now call Easter.

Christmas for most of it's history was a Catholic Mass (Christ's Mass) and had no more importance than any regular Mass. Most of the Protestant Denominations refused to celebrate it until the 1700s. It was seen as being a Catholic practice.

Not all who call themselves Christians celebrate Christmas, JWs, 7th Day Adventists, Some Church of Christ, Some Extremist Baptists, Unitarians, Unitarian Universalists, probably others.

Also not all Christians celebrate in on Dec 25, it is only celebrated on that date among Western Christians with roots to the Church of Rome (Roman Catholic) Eastern and Orthodox Christians celebrate it on other days.

It did not began a national holiday in any Nation until the 1800s. Christmas did not begin resembling what we see today until the late 1800s and early 1900s.

A strange thing about Christmas. The more it grows around the world the less religious it becomes. It seems popularity is fast destroying any Christian aspect of Christmas.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:14 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral View Post
Denominations are from the devil. There are many Christians who do not celebrate Christmas. Everything doesn't need to be stamped and approved with a man made sect.

Denominations are not "from the Devil" This is Fundie drivel. There are different and equally valid ways of worshiping Christ. People are drawn to Christianity for manty reasons, from many walks of life.

I asked this question because I was curious. I already know that JWs do not permit the celebration of Christmas.

I love and enjoy Christmas, so please, hold your fire.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,262,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have heard of some who do not, due to the incorporation of Pagan customs into Christianity.

I know that Jehovah's Witnesses do not, but many people do not believe them to be Christian.

Are there any denominations that do not celebrate Christmas, or are these mostly independent churches, and the beliefs of certain Pastors?

Just curious.
I am a christian, (church of Christ) but I don't celebrate Christmas as the brith of Christ or as a religious holiday. The Bible doesn't say anything about it.

However, I love being with my family. Trees, lights, gifts, big dinner, plenty of food are traditional with us, and I think. the holiday brings out they best in most people.

Katie

Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 PM

267 posts, read 296,992 times
circa 1965
Attached Thumbnails
Are there Christian denomionations that do not celebrate Christmas?-peanuts-christmas.bmp  

Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
Puritans used to forbid Christmas. Quakers once had a problem with it too. It seems like Lutherans were always okay with it though and it looks like Christmas trees maybe started with German Protestants, which likely means mostly Lutherans. Although it sounds like the Moravians also celebrated Christmas and in the 1800s there was the "Moravian star." So British Protestantism was a bit against Christmas, if one doesn't count Anglicanism as Protestant but instead as a "Middle-Way", while German Protestantism retained support for it.

Pennsylvania: a history of the ... - Randall M. Miller, William Pencak - Google Books
Holidays and Holy Nights ... - Christopher Hill - Google Books
The Pennsylvania Dutch Country - Irwin Richman - Google Books

Other than the JWs I had trouble finding what modern denominations don't observe Christmas. I would guess some Baptist or Calvinist groups going by history. I find some evidence that there are "Primitive Baptists" who do not celebrate Christmas, although others clearly do. (That said it sounds like at least some of the ones who do reject exchanging presents as "worldly.")

A Baptist's View of Christmas
Primitive Baptist Online - Happy Christmas Day

Old 12-10-2011, 06:26 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,221 times
1) Jehovah's Witnesses do not (or at least, are not supposed to) celebrate Christmas.

2) They are Christian because they believe in Jesus Christ as the Son of God.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 AM

810 posts, read 1,437,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWW1962 View Post
circa 1965
I just saw this somewhere else!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 21,910 times
I think we ought to pause and ask ourselves; "what is God's purpose for us? God addressed that he did not create this earth for nothing, but formed it to be inhabited. (Isaiah 45:18) What kind of people did God want to live on earth? One would think following all of God's teaching even through Jesus Christ, only then he would know the REAL TRUTH. Which in this case, Christmas is of pagan origin. If the bible states to not worship any pagan practices, then we shouldn't involve in paganism.Nevertheless, the point is for all humankind to be in obedience with God. Personally I think whatever (lesson, rule, teaching...etc) i learn from the bible. I will listen and follow all the guidelines to the best of my ability. True in a way that pleases God and it is also a way for us to draw even closer to him. (Psalms 145:18, James 4:8)

Old 05-04-2015, 07:32 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Default Are there Christian denomionations that do not celebrate Christmas?

Not this early in the year!!! Resurrecting a 4 y/o thread complaining about Christmas this far away from December seems a bit much. ::Sigh::
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity