Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:29 AM
Status: "Happy Memorial Day to all who served." (set 23 hours ago)

24,160 posts, read 32,660,800 times

Advertisements

I have heard of some who do not, due to the incorporation of Pagan customs into Christianity.

I know that Jehovah's Witnesses do not, but many people do not believe them to be Christian.

Are there any denominations that do not celebrate Christmas, or are these mostly independent churches, and the beliefs of certain Pastors?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 07:27 AM

88,885 posts, read 85,359,004 times
I am not 100% certain, but I think that Seventh-Day Adventists (a/k/a Sabbath Keepers) do not observe Christmas. I know someone who is active in the SDA church--if I can ask him, I will.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:35 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,040,024 times
Jehovah's Witnesses did not celebrate Christmas when I knew them in my old neighborhood. They went door to door preaching against the Christmas decorations. I don't know if they still engage in that.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:10 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,567,915 times
My H once decided we were going to be JW's so we studied and went to the Kingdom Hall for several years..No they do not celebrate Christmas..They say it is pagan, and therefore from Satan..

I believe most denominations have no rule on celebrating Christmas but regard it as a persional choice to celebrate or not..

Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM

939 posts, read 1,028,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Jehovah's Witnesses did not celebrate Christmas when I knew them in my old neighborhood. They went door to door preaching against the Christmas decorations. I don't know if they still engage in that.
Moderator cut: deleteI'm not necessarily aware of any that don't celebrate Christmas....but some may or may not value celebration of it as a secular holiday. As a newly converted fundamentalist years ago I tended to avoid Christmas trees, Santa, etc. I've mellowed out a little since then.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-06-2011 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,251,357 times
The Worldwide Church of God (H. Armstrong's creation) doesn't observe Christmas.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM

901 posts, read 2,392,924 times
I think it should be a personal decision, even for believers within a denomination that celebrates it. I personally go by what Paul said in Romans 14:5-6 [NIV] "One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God."

Old 12-06-2011, 03:30 PM

810 posts, read 1,440,558 times
Interesting that Jehovah's Witnesses aren't considered Christian by some when they unitedly take a stand against pagan traditions being passed off as Christian.

I'm not on here to convince anyone NOT to celebrate Christmas...I am in no position to tell you all what to do, nor do I want that responsibility. Just about every custom and tradition associated with Christmas came from pagan celebration...from the date to the trees. When I filter out all of the pagan, I'm left with the account of Jesus' birth. BUT, the 'Christmas' account of Jesus' birth has been distorted, too. I (IMHO) don't think it's an honorable celebration to Jesus or his Father. If that is my motivation for not celebrating, then how is that NOT Christian? Oh well...

On a historical side note, the Puritans didn't celebrate Christmas either.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,109,023 times
To me, it doesn't matter how or when the celebration of Christmas started. It's what we choose to make it that matters. It can be difficult in this day and age, but I think it's entirely possible to have a Christ-centered Christmas, a day (an entire season, actually) when we focus on the beginning of our Savior's mortal reign. I think He would approve of any traditions that bring us closer to Him and to those we love.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:07 PM

353 posts, read 907,790 times
Denominations are from the devil. There are many Christians who do not celebrate Christmas. Everything doesn't need to be stamped and approved with a man made sect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity