Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 06:22 PM

299 posts, read 263,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpetCallofGod View Post
what about the theif on the cross, next to jesus!? He is a great example

Luke 23:39-43
New King James Version (NKJV)
39 Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, “If You are the Christ,[a] save Yourself and us.”
40 But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, “Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong.” 42 Then he said to Jesus, “Lord,[b] remember me when You come into Your kingdom.”
43 And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you today, you will be with Me in Paradise.”

The thief on the cross wasn't baptized, Yet YahuShua (Jesus) Accepted Him and said "You will be with Me, in paradaise"
But are you that theif? What He does for one man does not also mean he owes every man the same. God does not owe any man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:51 PM

45,707 posts, read 27,325,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, ( necessary ) but whoever does not believe will be condemned. ( not absolutly necessary)
Ephesians 5:25-26
Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word
Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
Not earthly water.

John 7:38-39 - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

This is not difficult. Read it with me. Innermost being. Innermost being. That's where the waters flow.

The Eph. 5 verse you quoted says the washing is through the Word, not with earthly water.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM

45,707 posts, read 27,325,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
So obeying Jesus' command to be baptized is unecessary IYO?
Baptism in Christ is NOT what you say it is. That's the problem.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 AM

9,909 posts, read 1,291,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxjonz View Post
The Acts 2:28 command can only be obeyed by the faith, i.e. absolute conviction, of confessing directly to God that you are truly sorry Jesus' LIFE was lost by bloodshed when he was crucfied and be baptized into this confession before your mind will be cleared of guilt in regard to sin.
For his LIFE is a guilt offering, but it is a guilt offering only to God. Isa. 53:10b There is no other Way possible to circumcise the wicked human heart of the naturally born intrinsically. Which is something only the Living God can do.
I believe you meant to write Acts 2:38, not 28. The Jews, after hearing they have crucified Jesus, ask Peter, "What shall we do?"

Peter answers, "Repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Again, we must confess the name of Jesus before men. (Romans 10:9-10)

I agree we must confess our sins to God, but we are not baptized into confession as you stated. We are baptized into Christ (Galatians 3:27), into His death, burial and resurrection. (Romans 6:3-7, 17-18)

I have already said in many of my posts that our immersion in water is the point in time which God has chosen to save us. It is at this time the blood of Jesus washes away our sins, and we are born again or regenerated by the Holy Spirit. This is WHEN our hearts are circumcised.

I still can't tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. I've read your post several times, and I'm still struggling with parts of it.

Katie

Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 AM

698 posts, read 649,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, ( necessary ) but whoever does not believe will be condemned. ( not absolutly necessary)
Ephesians 5:25-26
Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word
Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit
Jesus did tell the disciples to (water) baptize in Mat. 28. However, a much later revelation through Apostle Paul states the belief that there is only one "baptism", baptism of the holy spirit by which we are merged into the body of Christ (see 1Co. 12:12 and 13; Eph. 4:4 and 5). For Paul, there seems to be one essential baptism.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Baptism in Christ is NOT what you say it is. That's the problem.
Baptism isn't what either of us say it is. It is what the Bible says it is. It is a BURIAL. WHEN you are baptized into Christ, you are baptized into His death. If you have been UNITED IN THE LIKENESS of His death, you will be in the LIKENESS of His resurrection. Your old man is crucified with Him that the body of sin might be done away. HE WHO HAS DIED HAS BEEN SET FREE FROM SIN. This is what the Bible says.

The LIKENESS of His death and the LIKENESS of His resurrection are clearly pictured when a person is immersed in water. A person is buried. A person in raised.

3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin.

You don't have a problem with me. You have a problem with what the scriptures say.

Katie

Old 01-06-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
Jesus did tell the disciples to (water) baptize in Mat. 28. However, a much later revelation through Apostle Paul states the belief that there is only one "baptism", baptism of the holy spirit by which we are merged into the body of Christ (see 1Co. 12:12 and 13; Eph. 4:4 and 5). For Paul, there seems to be one essential baptism.
People were added to the church, the body of Christ, on the day of Pentecost. This is when the church began. Acts 2 shows us Jesus' commission to baptize all nations being carried out by Peter and the other apostles. "47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the churchdaily those who were being saved." Acts 2:47)

Yes there is one baptism, and it is the same baptism Jesus commanded. Nowhere in the NT will you see Jesus' commission recinded. We are to make disciples of all nations by baptizing them. This is to go on till the end of the age.

The apostle Paul never, ever said that the baptism Jesus commanded was done away with. Paul, in trying to prevent division in the church, said he came not to baptize but to preach. People were aligning themselves with Paul, and he discouraged that. But Paul never said anywhere in the NT that water baptism was to be no longer practiced.

Katie

Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Not earthly water.

John 7:38-39 - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

This is not difficult. Read it with me. Innermost being. Innermost being. That's where the waters flow.

The Eph. 5 verse you quoted says the washing is through the Word, not with earthly water.
Try as you may, you cannot make immersion in water go away. Jesus commanded it. He said to make disciples of all nations baptizing them. This was to last to the end of the age. I have already proven to you that men cannot administer baptism with the Holy Spirit. Men can only administer water baptism. Jesus did not command the apostles or us to do something we are not capable of doing.

I have already shown you that the purposes for baptism with the Holy Spirit and baptism in water are different. I've shown this to you with scriptures. NEVER is baptism with the Holy Spirit done for foriveness of sins. It was done to empower the apostles to further the gospel, to grow the church of Christ, to confirm the word of God., and to show that the Gentiles were now accepted into the church.

Yes, the cleansing is inner. No one is arguing that. Baptism is a burial IN WATER. When we are baptized, we are enacting the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We are UNITED IN THE LIKENESS of His death. Our old man is crucified with Christ so that the body of sin might be done away. We are set free from sin.

3Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Thereforewe were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin.

When we are immersed in water, we are united with Christ in the likeness of His death, burial and resurrection. It is at this time that God, by His mercy saves us. It is at this time we are born again, or regenerated (renewed) by the Holy Spirit, who has been poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ, our savior. This is WHEN we are justified, or set free from sin.

5 not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Romans 6 is saying exactly the same thing Titus 3 is saying. Both have a time in common in which we are set free from sin.

Compare those two scriptures to Acts 2:38.
"Repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

All three verses are telling us that when we are immersed, our sins are forgiven.

Katie

Old 01-06-2012, 05:54 AM

698 posts, read 649,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Baptism isn't what either of us say it is. It is what the Bible says it is. It is a BURIAL. WHEN you are baptized into Christ, you are baptized into His death. If you have been UNITED IN THE LIKENESS of His death, you will be in the LIKENESS of His resurrection. Your old man is crucified with Him that the body of sin might be done away. HE WHO HAS DIED HAS BEEN SET FREE FROM SIN. This is what the Bible says.

The LIKENESS of His death and the LIKENESS of His resurrection are clearly pictured when a person is immersed in water. A person is buried. A person in raised.

3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin.

You don't have a problem with me. You have a problem with what the scriptures say.

Katie
Rom 6:3-7 actually refers to holy spirit baptism, not water. I don't know if you know this but "baptize" means to immerse, or cover completely. That's all.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:00 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,546,715 times
Baptism is obedience to the faith in what Christ said to said to do.
LK 6:46 "And why call you me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?"

Why the debate? Armchair philosophy/theology will save no one but only obediance to faith in what Christ said will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity