Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,664,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Baptism is required to be saved but water baptism is not. The only baptism we need is the pure water of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM

63,850 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Baptism is required to be saved but water baptism is not. The only baptism we need is the pure water of the Holy Spirit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, this is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Amen.
This is such a unique opportunity I couldn't pass it up . . . trettep, Finn, Verna and I all agree about something! (even though there are significant differences among us).

Old 12-07-2011, 04:42 PM

9,692 posts, read 10,029,011 times
In Luke 13: 3 Jesus says ``Except you repent you will all likewise perish ``........ So Water Baptism is a baptism of Repentance , which believers go and repent to the Lord and show that they love the Lord and will turn from sin as the way of repentance dictates to the obedience of the Commands of the Lord that we repent or perish ....... THEN THE LORD WILL SEE OUR OBEDIENCE AND THIS WILL BE A WITNESS TO MEN AND HEAVEN ,,,,,,were our lives will be open to the authority of the Lord , for Him to release His spirit for His blessing of life to come on our lives........... Last year a boy came to our church and then a month later he was diagnosed with cancer, ..many people in the church were praying and believing for his recovery, and it look as though the Lord was helping him to over come this sickness, then he died,...a few weeks later with all the lost prayers for this boy ....Jesus Spirit told me the boy was not baptised....I tried to confirm the right spirit , and Jesus spirit said its true.....

Old 12-07-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber
Yes, this is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is such a unique opportunity I couldn't pass it up . . . trettep, Finn, Verna and I all agree about something! (even though there are significant differences among us).
We need to permanently declare this day a day to be marked as a Miracle Day! WOO-HOO!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:59 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,992,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
We need to permanently declare this day a day to be marked as a Miracle Day! WOO-HOO!
We all find things to agree on sooner or later, Verna.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:16 PM

461 posts, read 481,112 times
Everyone must be baptized in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit and taught to carry out everything that the son of man has commanded.

Bk of JN; "Go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit, and teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you".

Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,924,442 times
Default Honest Question

So.. I'm curious as well. I was officially baptized in 1948 in the High English Church in Canada (a sort of King James-modified Catholicism for the immigrunt masses, absent the unintelligible Latin parts...).

I'm now your very thorough and insistent atheist's Atheist. Big "A", small "a", I don't really care; religion's all super-sillious-ness to me now, after my years of careful and logical questioning. All while waiting patiently for God to answer my long-ago prayers and questions of the faith. Certainly my youth minister was absent and uninterested; indeed, deeply frustrated and furious about my impertinence.

But still, did that baptism "save me" from hell, with perhaps nothing more than a stern "father-son" talk when I arrive at The Gates in the next few years? After all, He did made me the cynical skeptic I have become, right?

Perhaps He simply made me to be but a a debater's "foil" simply to get dedicated Christian fundamentalist's blood heated up?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,543,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
So.. I'm curious as well. I was officially baptized in 1948 in the High English Church in Canada (a sort of King James-modified Catholicism for the immigrunt masses, absent the unintelligible Latin parts...).

I'm now your very thorough and insistent atheist's Atheist. Big "A", small "a", I don't really care; religion's all super-sillious-ness to me now, after my years of careful and logical questioning. All while waiting patiently for God to answer my long-ago prayers and questions of the faith. Certainly my youth minister was absent and uninterested; indeed, deeply frustrated and furious about my impertinence.

But still, did that baptism "save me" from hell, with perhaps nothing more than a stern "father-son" talk when I arrive at The Gates in the next few years? After all, He did made me the cynical skeptic I have become, right?

Perhaps He simply made me to be but a a debater's "foil" simply to get dedicated Christian fundamentalist's blood heated up?
No religious ritual can save you but Jesus can. Those are only outward forms of the real deal.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

No.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 AM

889 posts, read 826,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
I know this topic has been debated to the n'th degree, but I thought I would post this article for those who wish to learn the truth about baptism and whether or not it is necessary for salvation. I highly reccommend this website for any questions concerning christianity.

Baptism: Necessary for Salvation

Thank you for taking the time to read the article.

Katie
Here's a quote from the main man of the protestant world, Martin Luther. He stated, "Moreover, that it is most solemnly and strictly commanded that we must be baptized or we cannot be saved..."

I guess most you folks are protesting the model protestant. Such division.

Oh, and John Calvin, another hero of yours, not only believed that baptism is necessary, that infant baptism (replacing circumcision) was necessary to enter into the new convenant. Of course that is biblical, so I could see where he gets that.

For more details consult: The Theologian

Man here are your heroes and they believe baptism is necessary. What's going on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity