Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 11:47 AM

2,526 posts, read 2,940,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxjonz View Post
I am sure this goes over real big with God. ["Oh God I am so very estatic, happy, and exceedingly glad for myself that Jesus got himself murdered in my place and he even volunteered for it too."] Yeah right. It looks like you are highly repenant Mikey.
Actually, Mike555 is right. We are to repent (Greek translation: "change the mind") and believe the Gospel (Good News). Not be sorry for the Good News. That is what Jesus tells us, here:

Mar 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

I think every Christian is exceedingly sorry for what Christ endured to save us from sin. And I'm sure all Christians express that sorrow to God. No one is happy about the act of Jesus' crucifixion.

However, that sorrow does not negate the fact that we are to rejoice in the Good News for what His death accomplished for us, and for Christ going to the Father, by His death and resurrection, for us.

Joh 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:53 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
You said it right. It is something we are asked to do by none other than Jesus, the Son of God. If that isn't enough reason to convince someone, then I don't know what is. Thanks for your post.

Blessings,

Katie
I'm not saying "don't get baptized". But I don't believe getting dunked in a pool of water saves a person. There are circumstances where someone might believe on Christ and find life in Him but not have been baptized yet and die without having had the opportunity. I would not want to worry their loved ones over the matter. God is gracious. Some think when Jesus was baptized he did that for every person, why else would Jesus have need to be baptized by John?

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,940,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Mike, did you forget this scripture:

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. - 2Corinthains 7:10

Do you actually contend that God does not want us to be sorry for our sin? I've never been in any Christian study group that taught such a thing. It makes a mockery of righteousness. One can mentally ascent to a belief in Jesus and still not have godly sorrow that leads to repentance. God grants both faith and repentance. He's sovereign. If one is concerned about his lack of Godly sorrow, then such a one ought to ask God to grant him a new heart.
Not to answer for Mike555....however, the repentance that Jesus is calling for has more to do with a change of mind concerning unbelief regarding the Gospel. IOW, It's to: Change your mind and believe the Gospel. It's very similar to the reproving action of the Spirit, here:

Joh 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Joh 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,391,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Forget Websters. The Greek word Metanioa has no connotation of feeling sorry about anything. It simply means to change your mind. Sorrow may or may not accompany some person's repentance but is not the repentance itself.

Jesus' death on the cross is not an accountable sin for which you must say to God that you are sorry in order to be saved.

Salvation is a free gift given to those who simply trust in Jesus Christ for eternal life.

Acts 16:31 'Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved...' It is as simple as that.

Amen.

Repenting is about changing your 'mind', turning your mind to God instead of on self, and is not about 'feelings', which are fickle and change multiple times a day!

Acts 3:19 - Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Matthew 4:17 - From that time on Jesus began to preach, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."

Greek word for 'repent' is metanoeó: to change one's mind or purpose

Short Definition: I repent, change my mind
Definition: I repent, change my mind, change the inner man (particularly with reference to acceptance of the will of God), repent.
3340 metanoéō (from 3326 /metá, "changed after being with" and 3539 /noiéō, "think") – properly, "think differently after," "after a change of mind"; to repent (literally, "think differently afterwards").

Old 01-11-2012, 02:58 PM

9,899 posts, read 1,283,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaStorm View Post
Actually, Mike555 is right. We are to repent (Greek translation: "change the mind") and believe the Gospel (Good News). Not be sorry for the Good News. That is what Jesus tells us, here:

Mar 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

I think every Christian is exceedingly sorry for what Christ endured to save us from sin. And I'm sure all Christians express that sorrow to God. No one is happy about the act of Jesus' crucifixion.
However, that sorrow does not negate the fact that we are to rejoice in the Good News for what His death accomplished for us, and for Christ going to the Father, by His death and resurrection, for us.

Joh 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
Alabama,

You may want to frame this post. Katie actually agrees with you!

Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM

33,308 posts, read 26,506,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Mike, did you forget this scripture:

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. - 2Corinthains 7:10

Do you actually contend that God does not want us to be sorry for our sin? I've never been in any Christian study group that taught such a thing. It makes a mockery of righteousness. One can mentally ascent to a belief in Jesus and still not have godly sorrow that leads to repentance. God grants both faith and repentance. He's sovereign. If one is concerned about his lack of Godly sorrow, then such a one ought to ask God to grant him a new heart.
No, I didn't forget that passage. The issue is that sorrow is not a requirement to be saved. As I said, a person might or might not feel sorry when he repents - changes his mind about Christ. The older a person is the more he may be inclined to feel sorry for his sins. Then again, he might not. It depends on the person.

Now the Corinthians had a godly sorrow like Peter's remorse after having denied Christ. This was in contrast with the worldly sorrow which brings death such as Judas Iscariots sorrow when he betrayed Jesus (Matthew 27:3-5).

The Corinthians sorrow prompted a change of mind - repentance, but the sorrow was not the repentance itself. And a person can repent without first feeling sorrow.

The only requirement for salvation is to place your trust in Christ based on His finished work on the cross. This will involve understanding that you are a sinner and in need of salvation and that Jesus is the Savior, but does not necessitate first feeling sorry for your sins. I was five years old when I trusted in Christ. I don't think I felt any sorrow about anything at that young age.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 PM

44 posts, read 48,409 times
You are not a sinner untill you are of an age where you understand what is is.
As a child you are safe with God.
If you we're not old enough to feel sorrow about anything then you we're still innocent in God's eyes.
Thats why he said unless you become as a child you cannot enter the Kingdom of heaven.
That meant to be pure and innocent.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM

44 posts, read 48,409 times
Hi! Katie.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 PM

593 posts, read 891,226 times
I believe Baptism is a command rather than a work . The early chruch in a well intended debate whether or not to slam dunk the original method of baptism (Acts 2:38) and instructed by the now apostles (sent out in Matt 28:19) namely Peter ,Paul ,Luke and Phillip (evangelist) who in addition to 4 missionary trips to Antioch (Med.) understood or "got" the message of Jesus in again Matt 28:19 where Jesus said "Go out baptizing them in the what? ....the NAME of the Father Son and Holy Spirit . What Name? Answer: Jesus Christ!! WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are saved by Jesus blood ,by Gods grace and our faith (the later estabished by repentence ,believing in the Son of Man and being baptized via immersion in Jesus Christ.) Thats my take saints!!!

In Yehoshua,
Das

Last edited by DASULAR17; 01-12-2012 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: formating

Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,544,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I fully understand why denominations differ on this issue. There is scripture that supports both sides of the argument. I honestly don't know the answer, but I know what to do: get baptized! If it is not required for salvation it is still something we are asked to do and should do. If it is needed for salvation, then we have done it.
That's one of the reasons there is so much debate. Truth is many sided and depends on what perspective you are viewing it from. Neither view contradicts the other if seen properly. One of Christ's statements speaks volumes but If one sees only one side of truth one can be blind to the other unless one studies and thinks more deeply before speaking of it.

But you are right, why trivialize Gods commands. You are always safe to obey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity