Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,453,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
I can see that. How about in the here and now. What does salvation do?
Jesus gives us peace the world cannot give John 14:27 He comforts us, gives us strength, joy, and hope in all circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 07:31 PM

461 posts, read 482,392 times
Quote:
"If you have faith you will see the glory of God".

You see ,people think that your body has to die before you can see the glory of God and get to heaven but they are mistaken,because they don't understand scripture and the power of God.

Psalms;
The wicked will not stand in judgment, nor sinners in the company of the just; for the Lord watches over the way of the just, but the way of the wicked will perish.

98:2 The Lord has made known his salvation; he has revealed his justice in the sight of all the nations. He has remembered his kindness and faithfulness to the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.

106:3 Blessed are those who observe what is right, who do always what is just.

111:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it possess virtue. His praise endures forever.

119:1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord. Blessed are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart, 3 who do no wrong, but walk in his ways.

128:1 Happy is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in his ways. You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be happy, and it shall go well with you.

That is the word of the Lord who sent me.

"I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Lord except by me."

(BK of JN)

Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 PM

64,036 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
How do you contemplate these verses, if salvation is the completion and not the beginning of our walk with God?

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

2Pe 1:5 ¶ And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Pe 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

2Pe 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye DO these things, ye shall never fall:
Amen!This is an important study for the "easy believers" among us, modeerf. Excellent witness . . . especially the word capitalized and bold in 2PE 1:10.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:21 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,993,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Jesus gives us peace the world cannot give John 14:27 He comforts us, gives us strength, joy, and hope in all circumstances.
Can we return this peace? That His Glory will increase? Can we comfort each other and give strength to others as Jesus has done and continues to do?

We understand that God and Jesus and the host of angels are there for us.

Are we there for them?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,558,992 times
Quote:
How do you contemplate these verses, if salvation is the completion and not the beginning of our walk with God?

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

2Pe 1:5 ¶ And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2Pe 1:9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.

2Pe 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
Lovely! It's that simple.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 AM

2,705 posts, read 3,129,425 times
Quote:
It changes our lives in the here and now as well as in the hereafter.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,964,503 times
Quote:

2Pe 1:10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

How can I have salvation if I am not yet delivered from corruption?

I can believe that my salvation is an absolute promise by God and from Gods perspective seeing the beginning and the end, it is already done. But as for me and my perception, it is not finished.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,993,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post

I can believe that my salvation is an absolute promise by God and from Gods perspective seeing the beginning and the end, it is already done. But as for me and my perception, it is not finished.
Not sure it works that way. Resting in God's forethought is a recipe for failure. I believe we can alter our destiny through slothfulness, and ignoring the promises that God has given that are based on our participation.

Our future is not pre-destined. Free will is a powerful gift. It can make or break us.

This doctrine of it doesn't matter, makes for a really barren believer. Lukewarm if you will.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,558,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post

The secret is in ignoring your perception of what is and focusing on what gods perception is of you. If god says you are sinless, free, loved, perfect because he is not bound by time then all your striving for that is in vain. Right? To allow yourself to see yourself as having achieved the goal (salvation, perfection) is the only way to achieve the goal. IMO.

When we feel good about ourselves we automatically (because it is law) attract good things and good people to us.
We also do good deeds when we feel good about ourselves. So isn't the scripture telling us to act as if we are saved/perfect because to god we already are?

Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,964,503 times
Quote:
Not sure it works that way. Resting in God's forethought is a recipe for failure. I believe we can alter our destiny through slothfulness, and ignoring the promises that God has given that are based on our participation.

Our future is not pre-destined. Free will is a powerful gift. It can make or break us.

This doctrine of it doesn't matter, makes for a really barren believer. Lukewarm if you will.

Well, I never said I rested in God's forethought, I specifically said I am not there yet and I am not finished.

Secondly, I never spoke of not having free will, but if you would like to discuss my thoughts on why we do have free will and that will not prevent Gods promise of salvation from being completed.

Lastly, I never said nothing matters, that is YOUR words, not mine. Living right matters, that basis has made for significant discoveries and advances in the wonder I see in life, my spiritual health and my attitude towards others.

I used to be a barren believer, but since I realized how great Gods promises actualyl are, I am given new hope.

You may not see what I am talking about that way, but guess what? You are not me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity