Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:49 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,962,972 times

Advertisements

It would love to see Romney as President and Ron Paul as Vice President. That would be America at it's finest! Both would sharpen each other. They may have their diffences but I think the two would be a good combo.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Romney said he wouldn't choose a muslim as a cabinet member, then turns around and says please don't discuss whether we should chose a Mormon as president. Mormons discriminate, plain and simple. Gays, Jews, blacks, women, muslims. To a Mormon they're all lesser people.

US Politics | AMERICAblog News: Remember when Romney said he wouldn’t put a Muslim in the cabinet? He made his Mormonism relevant.

If you want to see what evil homophobes the Mormons are, watch this:

8: The Mormon Proposition (2010) - IMDb

One of the guys he'll appoint as a foreign policy advisor has ties to the violent christian militia that committed atrocities in Lebanon's civil war:

Top Romney Adviser Tied To Christian Militia That Committed Atrocities In Lebanon's Civil War | ThinkProgress

Seriously, Romney is not a good choice. He's shown that he's willing to justify discrimination and bigotry, and to surround himself with people of questionable moral values.

Not only that, but he believes his underwear has magical properties that will protect him in car accidents, house fires, and from bullets:
I have to admit, the underwear is cool. Probably very comfortable to wear. Thanks for your post. More and more Romney every minute. I will look at those links when I have time.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,689,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
SWEET!!! If he wasn't from Texas I'd probably vote for him...lol.
I'm filled with sadness and yes, even anger that far too many Christians and other believers are so full of hate for their fellow human beings. I don't find it funny at all that there is a wide swath of people in this country and on this planet that are discriminated and oppressed daily in the name of religion. That you find it funny and acceptable is frankly disturbing, and woefully typical of so many believers.

This type of behavior is shameful, and not at all what your Jesus preached.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:05 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,023,465 times
This is in the Christian forum because????

Old 12-13-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
This is in the Christian forum because????
Because I'm addressing these questions about Romney to "Christians". If I wanted to know a non-religious point of view I would have posted it in the Political forum. Is that ok with you?

Specifically, I can't wait to hear from Katzpur, one of the few Christians on here I never hear whine about others posts, but is fairly open, honest, and mature... not to mention loving towards everyone, and in most cases doesn't retaliate but possesses the qualities of salt. hehehe

Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I'm filled with sadness and yes, even anger that far too many Christians and other believers are so full of hate for their fellow human beings. I don't find it funny at all that there is a wide swath of people in this country and on this planet that are discriminated and oppressed daily in the name of religion. That you find it funny and acceptable is frankly disturbing, and woefully typical of so many believers.

This type of behavior is shameful, and not at all what your Jesus preached.
So your accusing me of being hatefull, discrimanate, and oppressing? Please continue rebuking me, but share with everyone how I've commited those sins.

Ok, discriminate is not necessarily a sin. But how do I discriminate?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,896,415 times
Quote:
Jon Huntsman... never heard of him. I'll research him. So why? Why Huntsman over Romney?
It is true what people say about Romney - that he flip flops. When he was running for office in Massachusetts, (and we have him on video) he was liberal on social issues, and now that he is running for the GOP nomination for President, he is suddenly conservative on social issues. Now, some in his defense want to say that he had a legitimate change of heart on these issues, which if true, would be fine with me. But, what makes me think that it was not a legitimate change of heart is that on many of the issues he now denies he ever held those opposing viewpoints. Well, we know he did because we have it on tape, and if he legitimately studied the issue and changed his mind, he would remember that soul-searching effort and defend his flip-flopping by citing the thoughtful process he went through instead of denying he ever held the position in the first place. For instance, he was for a woman's right to choose and now he is not and denies that he was ever for a woman's right to choose.

I, as a Democrat, liked his earlier liberal positions on social issues anyway, so even if I believed that he is not just taking positions based on political expediency, but on principle, his current conservative positions on social issues is a negative for me.

You also asked why I prefer Huntsman. Huntsman is an intelligent, reasonable guy, who knows why he takes the policy positions he takes and can articulate them. He has international experience helping his dad's business expand into global markets, he has been US Ambassador to China, and speaks Mandarin Chinese. He was governor of Utah and helped their economy grow by attracting businesses. He was able to lower taxes and along with the Utah legislature manage his state's budget without the draconian tactics we have seen by Republican governors throughout the country. He has plans to cut the unnecessary regulations and dramatically improve the cost-benefit analysis of future regulations and the discipline of federal regulatory agencies . In a revenue neutral move, he plans to close loopholes while lowering the rate of corporate taxes. Through international trade agreements, he plans to open markets and expand a customer base for American businesses.

But, in addition to his policies, I just trust the guy. I haven't seen him pander, or flip-flop, or seem completely lost when asked a question. He doesn't have a history of being disorganized, screwing people over, he believes in evolution and global warming. He doesn't go after his opponents with below the belt blows. He doesn't scare me. He is not extreme or crazy in his ideology. His top priority isn't political gamesmanship. He isn't beholden to lobbists.

I actually, hope Obama implements some of Huntsman's ideas.

I like Ron Paul as a person, but I fundamentally disagree with his libertarianism. I agree with him that too much regulation can stifle an economy, like what happened in the USSR. But, too little regulation, results in the powerful taking advantage of the rest of us. Think of developing nations where industry gets ahead of regulations, what do you have? Unbelievable air pollution in which the population develops all sorts of respiratory diseases. Unbelievable industrial waste dumped into rivers and lakes. Resources ravaged, like rain forests being clear cut. You have sweat shops, in which workers have to work long grueling hours in unsafe conditions. Why do they work there if the conditions are so bad? They have no other place to work. Big industry can bankroll the campaigns of politicians who will do their bidding. The bottom line is unregulated markets permit corporate selfishness to go unchecked leaving the rest of us powerless in an unhealthy environment. Just like laws are needed to promote a healthy civil society (we aren't on constant alert that someone is going to steal our stuff because we have laws against theft and policemen to enforce those laws), we also need regulations to promote a healthy economy (so that companies aren't ravaging the natural resources we as the public all share and we need regulatory agencies to enforce those regulations). However, some regulations are ridiculous and need to be gotten rid of. We need balance.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:30 PM

Discriminate - to distinguish a difference between two or more things, as in right from wrong. especially with the issue of morality.

Example: The President was very good at distinguishing right from wrong and chose to do the right thing.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
It is true what people say about Romney - that he flip flops. When he was running for office in Massachusetts, (and we have him on video) he was liberal on social issues, and now that he is running for the GOP nomination for President, he is suddenly conservative on social issues. Now, some in his defense want to say that he had a legitimate change of heart on these issues, which if true, would be fine with me. But, what makes me think that it was not a legitimate change of heart is that on many of the issues he now denies he ever held those opposing viewpoints. Well, we know he did because we have it on tape, and if he legitimately studied the issue and changed his mind, he would remember that soul-searching effort and defend his flip-flopping by citing the thoughtful process he went through instead of denying he ever held the position in the first place. For instance, he was for a woman's right to choose and now he is not and denies that he was ever for a woman's right to choose.

I, as a Democrat, liked his earlier liberal positions on social issues anyway, so even if I believed that he is not just taking positions based on political expediency, but on principle, his current conservative positions on social issues is a negative for me.

You also asked why I prefer Huntsman. Huntsman is an intelligent, reasonable guy, who knows why he takes the policy positions he takes and can articulate them. He has international experience helping his dad's business expand into global markets, he has been US Ambassador to China, and speaks Mandarin Chinese. He was governor of Utah and helped their economy grow by attracting businesses. He was able to lower taxes and along with the Utah legislature manage his state's budget without the draconian tactics we have seen by Republican governors throughout the country. He has plans to cut the unnecessary regulations and dramatically improve the cost-benefit analysis of future regulations and the discipline of federal regulatory agencies . In a revenue neutral move, he plans to close loopholes while lowering the rate of corporate taxes. Through international trade agreements, he plans to open markets and expand a customer base for American businesses.

But, in addition to his policies, I just trust the guy. I haven't seen him pander, or flip-flop, or seem completely lost when asked a question. He doesn't have a history of being disorganized, screwing people over, he believes in evolution and global warming. He doesn't go after his opponents with below the belt blows. He doesn't scare me. He is not extreme or crazy in his ideology. His top priority isn't political gamesmanship. He isn't beholden to lobbists.

I actually, hope Obama implements some of Huntsman's ideas.

I like Ron Paul as a person, but I fundamentally disagree with his libertarianism. I agree with him that too much regulation can stifle an economy, like what happened in the USSR. But, too little regulation, results in the powerful taking advantage of the rest of us. Think of developing nations where industry gets ahead of regulations, what do you have? Unbelievable air pollution in which the population develops all sorts of respiratory diseases. Unbelievable industrial waste dumped into rivers and lakes. Resources ravaged, like rain forests being clear cut. You have sweat shops, in which workers have to work long grueling hours in unsafe conditions. Why do they work there if the conditions are so bad? They have no other place to work. Big industry can bankroll the campaigns of politicians who will do their bidding. The bottom line is unregulated markets permit corporate selfishness to go unchecked leaving the rest of us powerless in an unhealthy environment. Just like laws are needed to promote a healthy civil society (we aren't on constant alert that someone is going to steal our stuff because we have laws against theft and policemen to enforce those laws), we also need regulations to promote a healthy economy (so that companies aren't ravaging the natural resources we as the public all share and we need regulatory agencies to enforce those regulations). However, some regulations are ridiculous and need to be gotten rid of. We need balance.
Thanks for your response. I can't really understand completely what you said about certain issues, since I'm not that educated in politics, but can you elaborate on these issues in a more simpler language.

Will he try and give American business incentives for manafacturing here in this nation? Will he make it easier for them to do this?

Will he try and help our American farmers out in any way? Or will he continue to let big business like Monsanto steal from them and allowing these people to "own" food?

Will he try and stop the overwhelming illegal immigration?

And last but not least - the most important - will he stand up for God and be his representative here in the nation so that we can be blessed. If so in what ways? If not then it's been nice knowing you America.

He believes in "evolution", that we come from apes? That pretty much says it all. Definitely not my candidate. Because I understand it is God and God alone who makes a nation stand or fall. That's an irreconcilable belief with being a Christian in my opinion, and there's no way I could trust him.

And that is how I discriminate, and I could care less what anyone thinks about it. I heard a politician, I think it was John F Kennedy (President) say that in politics it's not possible to discriminate between right and wrong. That's not what God says. We need a president who knows how to DISCRIMINATE between right and wrong, or it's finished.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,896,415 times
Quote:
Thanks for your response. I can't really understand completely what you said about certain issues, since I'm not that educated in politics, but can you elaborate on these issues in a more simpler language.

Will he try and give American business incentives for manafacturing here in this nation? Will he make it easier for them to do this?

Will he try and help our American farmers out in any way? Or will he continue to let big business like Monsanto steal from them and allowing these people to "own" food?

Will he try and stop the overwhelming illegal immigration?

And last but not least - the most important - will he stand up for God and be his representative here in the nation so that we can be blessed. If so in what ways? If not then it's been nice knowing you America.

He believes in "evolution", that we come from apes? That pretty much says it all. Definitely not my candidate. Because I understand it is God and God alone who makes a nation stand or fall. That's an irreconcilable belief with being a Christian in my opinion, and there's no way I could trust him.
In my post you quoted, I spoke of Romney, Huntsman, and Paul. But, I guess you are asking me about Huntsman. I don't think I can answer your specific questions. Some he may have said something about and some he may not have. But, you can find his stand on many of the issues on his website: Jon Huntsman on the Issues: Jobs, Foreign Policy, & More | Huntsman 2012

Oh, that is too bad that you would discount him because he believes in evolution. That is a plus in my book. There is a ton of evidence that humans did evolve and that we are related to all living things. You can believe god created us through evolution if you wish, but one need only learn about evolution and how we know what we know to realize that it is absolutely true. Our education system has failed too many Americans in that they were never properly taught evolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity