Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

For those of you who are trying to earn eternal salvation by keeping the Law. No one is or can be saved by trying to keep the Law. Romans 3:20 'because by the works of the Law no flesh shall be justified in His sight; for though the Law comes the knowledge of sin.'

The purpose of the giving of the Law was to show that no one can keep it perfectly. James 2:10 "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all".

Only one person ever kept the Law perfectly. And that man was Jesus Christ who came to fulfill the Law. Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

Because Jesus Christ fulfilled the requirements of the Law, anyone who believes on Jesus Christ during this dispensation is IN CHRIST, and therefore is free from the Law. Romans 8:1 'There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2] For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. 3] For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin. He condemned sin in the flesh, 4] in order that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Those of you who have never trusted in Christ alone for eternal salvation, but instead are trying to work your way to heaven by keeping the Law which had as its purpose to reveal your inability to keep it, and which pointed to Christ, are working your way deeper and deeper into a dept which you can never pay. You owe God perfect righteousness. You can never meet that requirement. If you are trusting in your efforts to keep the Law for eternal salvation, and you die never having instead simply trusted only in Jesus Christ for your eternal salvation, then your final and irrevocable destination is the eternal lake of fire. The very thing you are working so hard to avoid.

The only way to have a righteousness by which you can have a relationship with God is by being credited or imputed with God's own perfect righteousness at the moment of faith alone in Christ alone. Rom 5:1 Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2] through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.

How are you eternally saved? Acts 16:31 'Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved...' It's that simple.

Please also refer to my post, #139 in the following thread --> For those of you who believe that the shed blood of Jesus makes us right with God...

Last edited by Michael Way; 02-06-2012 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM

987 posts, read 1,119,017 times
Yes, Christ set us free from trying TO DO things or NOT DO things to make ourselves worthy. He loves us where we are. This is NOT saying that those who love God will indulge in sinful things of the world or encourage others to do things that the law tells us not to do. It is not a carte blanche license to seek as much self gratification as you can bear. This only leads to unhappiness anyway.

When you seek God in your heart, then He begins to put those things in your heart that bear fruit.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
That is what makes the gospel precious to few and rejected by many.
No one can be saved by trying to keep the Law

Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,660,837 times
Who said they did ? I'd like the name of the thread and the post number please. Thank you !

Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
Who said they did ? I'd like the name of the thread and the post number please. Thank you !

So you can be saved and not keep the law?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
So you can be saved and not keep the law?
Hi Phaze

Mike said, "No one can be saved by keeping the law." I responded (in other words), who said anyone is saved by keeping the law? I've never said that...and I'm just guessing here, but I believe that this thread is in answer to my thread on this same subject, and my posts therein...so I do believe that he is suggesting that this is something that I have stated. If so...UNTRUE.

So...again...to Mike...Who said they did ? I'd like the name of the thread and the post number (Mike's really proficient at listing post numbers and names of threads for references) please. Thank you.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:26 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
I think what Verna believes is (and correct me if I'm wrong), that no one is saved just because they keep the law, but no one is saved if they don't keep it. Verna?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,946,975 times
Quote:
Hi Phaze

Mike said, "No one can be saved by keeping the law." I responded (in other words), who said anyone is saved by keeping the law? I've never said that...and I'm just guessing here, but I believe that this thread is in answer to my thread on this same subject, and my posts therein...so I do believe that he is suggesting that this is something that I have stated. If so...UNTRUE.

So...again...to Mike...Who said they did ? I'd like the name of the thread and the post number (Mike's really proficient at listing post numbers and names of threads for references) please. Thank you.

I think the problem is that Mike probably can't produce a post with someone saying that exact thing, it is a difference of theology perhaps.

Mike apparently believes that all you have to do to be saved is believe in Jesus Christ as Saviour.

Do you believe that to? If not, then, if I have read many of your posts correctly, you believe you cannot be saved unless you are a keeper of the Law.

My point is not in defense of either position, but just pointing out a possible point to be explained.

If you have to keep the law to be saved, how is that not earning salvation?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
There's confusion over "Keeping the Law" without faith and Obedience to the Law by Faith.

There's also Confusion over What Law we are under. We are under Christ's Law not the Mosaic Law which was fulfilled in Christ. To put oneself under the Mosaic Law is actually rejecting Christ strangely enough because he made it clear we are to follow Him in His Law.

Christ presents his Authority over the Mosaic Law which he fulfilled.

Matthew 5
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Luke 24:44
And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

I find it interesting that the Sabbath of all things was something the Lord seemed to go out of his way to tell us that "Keeping the Sabbath" was not part of his Law. It doesn't mean we shouldn't observe it; however, but some have gone to the extremes to thinking this is the Mark of the Beast. Nothing from my perspective screams Pharisees louder.

Paul is pointing out that none can be justified by "Keeping the Law". Only Christ did. That is why he is our Savior! He fulfilled the Mosaic Law, and gave us a New one. Many of the Laws in Moses Law are the same or expanded. Many are Absent. We are clearly under Christ's law and Authority. Any attempt to go back under the Mosaic Law is a form of rebellion strangely enough because it is in essence undoing what God's works in Christ which he came to accomplish. We are clearly called to Obey Christ Law!

There's a difference between being justified to God by "Keeping the Law" and "Obedience to the Law" by Faith. The Jews didn't seek it by faith.

Romans 9

30What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

31But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.

32Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

33As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

It's interesting that unbelief is the great sin. Numbers 13,14 is the same concept. Disobedience and Disbelief are virtually synonyms. The writer to the Hebrews says without faith it is impossible to please God. True faith produces Obedience to the Faith.

I think you can lump it into two categories: 1) those who Obey 2) those who rebel.

It's all about where our heart is and our allegiance. Repentance - metanoia - Change of Mind/Heart.

God makes it clear if you are seeking him, and coming to him, you are in his hands (John 10). If you are one of his Sheep, he's not going to lose you. Just make sure you're one of his Sheep that when he calls, you come. Interpret what he says, you do. It's all about the heart.

God will deliver despite what it looks like. The folks at Kadesh Barnea in the Wilderness Wanderings (Numbers 13,14) did not enter the Promise land because they did not Believe that God would deliver them in Victory over the Giants - the Children of Anak.

So if you see Nephilm, and God says go take care of it. Grab a slingshot and a stone.

Last edited by Mikelee81; 02-06-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I think what Verna believes is (and correct me if I'm wrong), that no one is saved just because they keep the law, but no one is saved if they don't keep it. Verna?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I think the problem is that Mike probably can't produce a post with someone saying that exact thing, it is a difference of theology perhaps.

Mike apparently believes that all you have to do to be saved is believe in Jesus Christ as Saviour.

Do you believe that to? If not, then, if I have read many of your posts correctly, you believe you cannot be saved unless you are a keeper of the Law.

My point is not in defense of either position, but just pointing out a possible point to be explained.

If you have to keep the law to be saved, how is that not earning salvation?
The JUST shall live by their FAITH - not the UNJUST. Just means righteous - look it up.

No one can be justified by keeping the law - we are justified by faith - BUT who is it that has the faith that justifies???.....

>>>Rom 2:13 For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Only those who obey have the faith that justifies!

Go here:

For those of you who believe that the shed blood of Jesus makes us right with God...

...and read my replies....that'll save a lot of typing.

God Bless,
Verna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity