Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,800,000 times

Advertisements

Laying Down the Sword Amazon Link

We have been having an interesting, albeit limited discussion of this book on a different, less active forum. I wonder what you folks might think.

Critique

My personal opinion is that the author has made the same mistake that so many make regarding scripture, to whit taking a verse here and a paragraph there to construe an argument without bothering with the original written context, let alone cultural.

IMHO all one needs do is compare Mohammed and Jesus side by side to draw an accurate conclusion. Who led armies? Who conquered nations? Who promised paradise to those who killed non believers in his name? And so on down the line?

I am interested in the thoughts of those on this forum. Anyone read the book (I have not) Does the premise hold water, in your views?

Looking forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:50 PM

337 posts, read 409,579 times
I better not ignore the Bible's violent past, it will keep me out of a violent future. It tells me and shows me about God’s vengeance and that he is serious about punishing sin.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 PM

175 posts, read 315,750 times
I honestly do not understand why so many fellow Christians believe they need to be pacifists. No where in the OT or NT does it say Christians must not use violence to stop evil.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind over Chatter View Post
I better not ignore the Bible's violent past, it will keep me out of a violent future. It tells me and shows me about God’s vengeance and that he is serious about punishing sin.
Hmmmmm.... you're joking, right?

The message of Jesus is so simple. Eternal life for those right with God. I personally do not accept an angry God who has nothing better to do than condemn sinners to eternal damnation while allowing Satan to run wild through His creation, instead of keeping him in hell where he belongs.

Silly me.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
I honestly do not understand why so many fellow Christians believe they need to be pacifists. No where in the OT or NT does it say Christians must not use violence to stop evil.
When I was an angry young man I used to rant at Jesus freaks who crossed my path "maybe people would not be so willing to crucify you if you were not so willing to take up your cross"

I'm older now, and less angry, but I still wonder where that line is that if crossed ends in crucifixion.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 AM

1,220 posts, read 988,710 times
Default The Lord is Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
When I was an angry young man I used to rant at Jesus freaks who crossed my path "maybe people would not be so willing to crucify you if you were not so willing to take up your cross"

I'm older now, and less angry, but I still wonder where that line is that if crossed ends in crucifixion.
Shalom
when you come to the end of yourself you'll find out...keep walking, you're not there yet...

Old 02-18-2012, 05:01 AM

9,695 posts, read 10,041,835 times
In Mohammedans follower need men to judge the world for idols which men go and fight for their God ..... Were followers of Lord Jesus Christ , the followers need Lord Jesus to Judge the world which God will fight for the believers through the Spirit behind the veil of the unseen ....... Look at all the Christians today who do not go out a kill people and blow people up for their God , but most are passive and trust in the Lord , But those who get stuck in a fear , Lord Jesus allows them to be harmed and persecuted or even killed , but only those who fight back will be harmed , as Jesus Judges His followers No fighting , No fear..... Look past American president who claimed `Born again`.. Country was attacked right early in his Administration , were he fought back and was ridiculed beyond normal acceptance .... .. See the Lord Jesus Christ will use the sin of the world to bring Judgment in the days to come and the sin which to devil of the spirit of the world will rise up and manipulated men to judge the world, as the Lord will Not Judge the world By His hand but God removing His hands protection........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity