Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Anyone who can believe in eternal torment hasn't the first clue about the true nature of our God. Only a truly evil entity could establish and impose such a heinous fate on anyone for anything . . . least of all suicide.
Thank you...yes...not the merciful God that I believe in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesntspringtomind View Post
my question is mostly addressed to URists, however anyone may answer...

I know very well that according to the teachings of UR, everyone will eventually end up in heaven one way or another thanks to the unfailing love of the Father, no matter what.. right?

..and what if I choose to take my life away, will I make it to our common & final destination? to heaven?

Do you believe someone can repent after she / he died?

Or

Do you believe there's some kind of a temporary "hell" at least?

Spoiler
if that is so simple, why don't we all commit suicide...
That is actually an incorrect understanding of Universalism. There is no "one way or another". There is only God's way through Jesus Christ. Eventually God will have all to be saved through Christ. God will eventually remove all evil nature from everyone He ever purposed to be His Child in the first place (everyone).

Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
That is actually an incorrect understanding of Universalism. There is no "one way or another". There is only God's way through Jesus Christ. Eventually God will have all to be saved through Christ. God will eventually remove all evil nature from everyone He ever purposed to be His Child in the first place (everyone).
Yes, this is what most people miss; they assume they have something to do with their own salvation, not realizing that God brings them to a place where they will repent and be saved.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Suicide is the act of a desperate mentally ill human being..I cannot imagine God further punishing them for an illness of the flesh.

Those of us who have been through the pain of losing a beloved family member by suicide know their desperation..

Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Suicide is the act of a desperate mentally ill human being..I cannot imagine God further punishing them for an illness of the flesh.
Very good point Miss Blue. God is the great healer - He will heal people of whatever pressed them to commit suicide.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:13 AM

351 posts, read 355,267 times
Hi Everyone I see so many people miss state what most ( or at least myself) URs believe. Before you are forgiven all sin must be repented and a change of your heart must occur. God will bring this about in his time and manner( everyone will reap what they sow). God is not limited by our death. We will all be resurrected and face judgment where accountability and repentance will take place, if you ( Christ's Elect) have not judged yourself. Suicide does not change that, in fact since everyones time and manner of death is set before they are born, those who commit suicide are a part of God's plan just like everything else is.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Finn,

Isn't suicide murder?

I think a lot of people are in for a big surprise come judgement day. How can anyone believe that hell is not real? Jesus sure talked about eternal punishment. With the UR way of thinking, why bother being a christian at all. Live it up while you can. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow you die and get a second chance. *sigh*

God Bless,

Katie
So the love for God/Christ doesn't factor? Your sole reason for being a Christian is to avoid eternal punishment?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post

Those of us who have been through the pain of losing a beloved family member by suicide know their desperation..
My cousin - who was troubled by mental health issues, some of it religiously related (he was obsessed with the 'End Times' for instance) committed suicide 4 years ago. I wasn't close to him, saw him a handful of times before he jumped to his death from the eighth storey of a building, but I saw the severity of his mental condition. As someone who sometimes has suicidal thoughts I can definitely relate.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My cousin - who was troubled by mental health issues, some of it religiously related (he was obsessed with the 'End Times' for instance) committed suicide 4 years ago. I wasn't close to him, saw him a handful of times before he jumped to his death from the eighth storey of a building, but I saw the severity of his mental condition. As someone who sometimes has suicidal thoughts I can definitely relate.
I know of another case that sounds just like your cousin. Guy raised in a fundamentalist church, son of a friend of mine. Finally took his life by lying down on railroad tracks - just a teen. I think the poor kid had enough punishment in this present world.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I know of another case that sounds just like your cousin. Guy raised in a fundamentalist church, son of a friend of mine. Finally took his life by lying down on railroad tracks - just a teen. I think the poor kid had enough punishment in this present world.
Funnily enough he wasn't raised in religious Fundamentalism - I'd say half of my mother's family are Christian, the other half are not - but it must have struck a chord with him. I have a family history of depression and suicide - two of my mother's uncles, I believe, killed themselves which is pretty disturbing. Two of my aunties (mum comes from a big family) attempted suicide. One of which is a pretty serious Christian as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity