Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 11:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times

Advertisements

I just go about the business of living and try to do the best I can, even with all my Catechism and Catholic School, so I try to put this out of my head, let alone all the scriptural verses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:29 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
I reply:

Protestantism leave most all peoples out of heaven that can't read or people that have never heard of Jesus!

Dad_loves_to_cook So you stand corrected!

Dogknox
I disagree. Have you heard of Wycliffe Bible Translators? It's a group of multi-denominational people who are missionaries in the remotest areas of the world helping people develop a written language where none has ever been created. Once that is accomplished they begin teaching the people how to read. During this time the missionaries are translating the New Testament from the Greek to their language. This has been an ongoing mission since the 1930s. You should check out their site if you want to learn more. Wycliffe Bible Translators: World Missions for Unreached People Groups It's a fantastic organization taking God's Word to the unreached people groups of the world.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:53 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
Ha.. You are funny!!!
DASULAR17

Historical FACT: The Catholic Church made the bible! She ALONE with God' help removed all the un-scriptural, non inspired books, then placed all the INSPIRED manuscripts into one book, She named her book; "The Bible"!

Dogknox
You are correct that the Catholic church worked to create what is known as the Bible. However, it was God who made the Bible, not the church. God directed the men as to which books were inspired and which were not.

The council of Trent was simply one of many groups to work on what is known as the Bible. The Roman Catholic council included many more books than other councils, thus known as they apocryphal books. Books such as Maccabees, Tobit, and Judith are a few you will only find in a Catholic Bible.

Personally I believe there is great merit in those books and we can gain a wealth of understanding, however they are more of a historical book than inspired by God.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:56 PM

467 posts, read 467,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_loves_to_cook View Post
I disagree. Have you heard of Wycliffe Bible Translators? It's a group of multi-denominational people who are missionaries in the remotest areas of the world helping people develop a written language where none has ever been created. Once that is accomplished they begin teaching the people how to read. During this time the missionaries are translating the New Testament from the Greek to their language. This has been an ongoing mission since the 1930s. You should check out their site if you want to learn more. Wycliffe Bible Translators: World Missions for Unreached People Groups It's a fantastic organization taking God's Word to the unreached people groups of the world.
Until the printing press there was no bibles.. For sixteen hundred years it was the Holy Catholic Church that Brought Jesus and salvation to the world!

Bibles were very, very few in number.. ONLY..
Only the very rich could own a bible.. "They were works of art!"
Dad_loves_to_cook Besides, Most people could not even read!!!

The idea of "Scriptures ALONE" is not logical, it is not scriptural!
The idea of, all man needs is the scriptures, rejecting the Church: First appeared, sixteen hundred years AFTER Jesus!

Scriptures are very clear..
Jesus formed a TEACHING CHURCH!
He gave his ONLY church, all the authority of God to TEACH all nations!
The "CHURCH" is the pillar and the foundation of truth!
Jesus is ALWAYS WITH his Church!

Jesus loves his CHURCH he died for his church!
The CHURCH Jesus formed is HOLY.. "BLAMELESS!"
Dad_loves_to_cook You the protester must reject the scriptures to BLAME the Holy Catholic Church!

Dad_loves_to_cook Luther the first "De-former" said.. "Satan is the head of the Catholic Church!"
He rejected: "I am always with you even to the very end of the age"!
he believed that somehow "Satan overpowered Jesus, that Satan TOOK Jesus' body from Jesus!"

Dad_loves_to_cook For you to be in protest against Jesus and his bride.. You must believe; Jesus lied..
That he said.. "I am always with you"; But that Jesus said; "He is always with" knowing that sixteen hundred years later, he would leave his bride for the thousands and thousands of man made bodies!

Do you understand??!!
Dad_loves_to_cook Protestants must reject the scriptures to stay in protest!

Rejecting the scriptures.. Jesus words IS..
Is rejecting Jesus!

Dogknox

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I know quite a few former Roman Catholics that are members of my Lutheran church. I even have some former Roman Catholic friends who are Lutheran pastors.
The converse is also true. Protestants who became Catholics, and a few who even became clergy members. I've also known a few people who were previously Jewish who became Catholics without having anybody twist their arm. I never inquired as to how they made that choice.

I went to an Episcopalian Mass one Sunday to see what it was like. It was incredibly similar to the Catholic Mass, but it wasn't for me.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Doctrines like the Seven Deadly Sins are amazing pieces of Catholic thought.
They also make for an incredible guilt trip. (Mind you, I'm Catholic.)

Gluttony - you're in line at the buffet on the Strip in Las Vegas, and maybe it's your 2nd or 3rd trip, are you going to be stricken down by lightning?
Lust - it's hard to control the pituitary gland, right?
Sloth - as long as you work hard and then rest, so what? Or what if someone has issues with depression?

Most (faithful) people commit these sins to one degree or another.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,130 times
Catholics are a sorrowful lot.

My father-in-law came from a long line of Catholics.
He studied for 5 years to be a Priest.
But, married a catholic from a long line of catholics; and had 8 children.

Over the years I've see the rest of my borthers & sister in laws leave the catholic church.

So I've seen a procression of angry depression even upon their own children to this day.

As they still proclaim 'Once A Catholic Always A Catholic'.

I don't know what that means. But I can tell you one thing.
I'm glad it didn't rub off on me.

My husband has gone to church with me for years.
But to no avail.
He still wants to suffer.

Catholics create a 'false humility' in their sufferings.
And they like it. It makes them feel pridefully important.

My advice is to never marry an X-Catholic.

They'll always want you to support their 'short-end-of-the-stick'.
So they can be Proud of their False Humility.

And when your not? There's hell to pay. What a sorroful lot...

Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
Catholics are a sorrowful lot.

And when your not? There's hell to pay. What a sorroful lot...
So what do you recommend,then? Being a fundie? Your profile is pretty ethereal and says nothing about your religious beliefs or what you're all about. Not that it's a real barometer of anything, but when rep to post ratios are REALLY REALLY low, it takes away some credibility from the person. Either that, or they are broken records. There are plenty of well-adjusted Catholics and some who are not so well-adjusted. Ditto for adherents to ALL religions.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:58 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Born and raised Catholic. Confirmed, first communion, and even an altar boy until about the age of 16. All of this was done without really explaining why I should be Catholic. With all the Sunday schools, all I got to learn was a bunch of man-made traditions. The BIBLE was not something we were taught in any time of expositional sense. Why would they? It exposes them. I never felt the Spirit of God there. Only superficial external RELIGION. A list of rules and regulations. Planted the seed for rebellion. The hypocrisy was unbearable. So I started skipping masses eventually to get kicked off the altar server list (I did show up when scheduled though). I couldn't have been more happy. My bondage with Catholicism was about over.

This could have been devastating because not only was my departure from Catholicisim, but also could have been my final departure from Christ. Only until recently I've come into the Liberating knowledge of the truth - the Word of God! More than a decade after my departure from Catholicisim, I was born again as a Christian from above.

All this being said, I was never a Catholic really. Sure there is record of infant baptism, first communion, confirmed, etc but none of it had any real subsistence.

Catholisicm is a dangerous relgion because it comes closer than any other than sheilding soul from the truth - the Gospel of Christ in the Scriptures. Most of my Family is Catholic. They could not care less about the Scriptures. They'd rather have "Father" so and so spout nonsense to them for a half an hour so they can give themselves a healthy Religious pat on the back. Go home. Live like hell. set up trips to the sin city Vegas etc...

What a dangerous Religion. I thank God I am not in subjection to this Religion like so many that I love.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:55 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
They also make for an incredible guilt trip. (Mind you, I'm Catholic.)

Gluttony - you're in line at the buffet on the Strip in Las Vegas, and maybe it's your 2nd or 3rd trip, are you going to be stricken down by lightning?
Lust - it's hard to control the pituitary gland, right?
Sloth - as long as you work hard and then rest, so what? Or what if someone has issues with depression?

Most (faithful) people commit these sins to one degree or another.
I gave you positive rating for this post, and maybe you have a point in your comments.

HOWEVER...... you tend to sound like your are excusing a lot of behavior that is less than optimal. The point of the 7 deadly sins doctrine is to educate and guide those those who will pretend they are righteous when they really are lacking in fundamental morality.

IMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity