Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,254,846 times

Advertisements

My sister was in a Roman Catholic church at one time. Her priest was very careful to tell his congregation that:
  • there is only one Mediator between G-d and people, and that one was our L-rd.
  • not to pray to the statues. When he built his new church, there were none.
  • that confession in his church was group therapy and to expect nothing more than group therapy from it.
I can't remember what more, but she became a believer there.

She also worked in the office.

What I am about to write will offend some even more than what I wrote above offended them; this is not my intention. I am just telling what happened.

She went to work one day, and he was not there anymore. No one told where he went. To her knowledge, he never contacted the office. She was broken-hearted.

Since then, she has moved on to a Protestant church and has remained there for years, very happy there...well, except for the one fakey pastor!

Well, sorry! That was in answer to a now-long-ago post in this thread.

Last edited by VelcroQueen; 05-14-2012 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Apology.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,544,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I wish I had a dollar for every time someone has told me "I've been born-again and have accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior." Seriously, (1) this is the verbatim delivery, and (2) it always comes from someone who belongs to a fundamentalist, non-denominational or Baptist Church. Is this something that one just hears and then spouts? I don't know any people who belong to Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopal, Catholic or Orthodox churches who have this line down to a science.

For most of us, it's all about trying to live as best we can in accordance with the New Testament. If we do this, what happens afterward is based on faith that we will be judged correctly and compassionately by the Lord.

So then, I guess I'm a Christian but will not label myself as born-again. I don't use trite phrases like the above. Hopefully, I'll be seeing you in line at the pearly gates.
If Christian means Christ like and it does, then how do you surpose one can be Christ like without His Spirit. Either you have His Spirit which is His Righteousness imputed to you as a gift or you have just a fallen human spirit which is only self righteousness.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM

33,305 posts, read 26,506,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
So, in your universe, do you dare say that if I "listen to what the Catholic Church says and reject what the word of God says then you will perish." ??
More fundamentalist claptrap; don't insult my intelligence, or, especially , my CHURCH, again!
Why are you so hostile? Why do you feel insulted that I tell you that you must be born again if you wish to have eternal life?

Have you ever actually read the Bible yourself? It is a serious question. Or have you only relied on what the Roman Catholic Church has told you?

Do the words of Jesus Christ Himself carry no weight with you? It was Jesus Himself you said that you must be born again. John 3:3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."

There is not one thing in the Bible which says that you don't have to be born again because you were baptized as an infant. The Bible is clear however that you must personally place your faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

If you are willing to bet your eternal future on having been baptized as an infant, you have already lost that bet. If you have not personally trusted in Christ you remain under condemnation. That is reality. If you die without believing in Jesus Christ for eternal life you are going to spend eternity in the lake of fire. It will be your abode forever. Your only way to avoid going there is to place your faith in Jesus Christ who said, "...I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. (John 14:6).

Acts 4:12 " And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

If your church has led you to believe that you have a ticket to heaven because you were baptized as an infant, and that you don't have to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ through faith in Him, then it has misled you.

If you think that you are angry now for having been told that you must be born again in order to have eternal life, your anger can't compare with the anger you will have when you find yourself in eternal torment in the lake of fire because you were never born again through personal faith in Jesus Christ. But the choice is yours.

Last edited by Michael Way; 05-14-2012 at 06:10 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
My sister was in a Roman Catholic church at one time. Her priest was very careful to tell his congregation that:
  • there is only one Mediator between G-d and people, and that one was our L-rd.
  • not to pray to the statues. When he built his new church, there were none.
  • that confession in his church was group therapy and to expect nothing more than group therapy from it.
I can't remember what more, but she became a believer there.

She also worked in the office.

What I am about to write will offend some even more than what I wrote above offended them; this is not my intention. I am just telling what happened.

She went to work one day, and he was not there anymore. No one told where he went. To her knowledge, he never contacted the office. She was broken-hearted.

Since then, she has moved on to a Protestant church and has remained there for years, very happy there...well, except for the one fakey pastor!
Great story. There are many Roman Catholics including many priest who do emphasize the truth without props and who are born again. So glad for your sister that she ran into one who taught the Word.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,800,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Great story. There are many Roman Catholics including many priest who do emphasize the truth without props and who are born again. So glad for your sister that she ran into one who taught the Word.
Are you crazy? You know very well what the doctrine of the Catholic church is and that in the Church all priest obey the Pope and the doctrine of the Church. We don't want to turn into another Christian sect with fifty thousand denonitations... Born again? You just have to be a good Christian and a human being without the mystic drama and feeling of supremacy based on the relationship with God you claim.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:05 AM

9,899 posts, read 1,282,702 times
Quote:
I am going to try to spell it out for you, as difficult as that seems to be, ONE more time. CEASE your ignorant, misguided gibberish towards me; it has NO effect, and is both ludicrous and insulting. Do you understand? You are insulting by me, and my Church with your fundamentalist poppycock.
Direct your sad, misguided efforts towards someone as credulous and self righteous as yourself.
I would not stand for your insults in person, be assured.
Hi Hornet,

Sorry to see you so angry.

May I ask you this? When you were sprinkled as a baby, did you believe in Jesus?

Jesus was pretty clear when He said, "He who BELIEVES and is baptized (immersed) shall be saved."

Were you capable of believing as an infant? Were you able to put your trust in Him? And did you repent?

Please consider that just maybe you are making a mistake that could cost you eternal salvation. Don't let your pride stand in your way.

I was once where you are now. I got very angry also when people tried to show me my error. But one day everything clicked, and I began to see that my catholic education was filled with lie upon lie. After a while, the lies far outweighed the truth, and my eyes were opened. I let go of my pride and let the word of God take over.

I pray you will seek and find the truth. It's there for you when you are ready to accept it.

Katie

Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 AM

33,305 posts, read 26,506,892 times
Quote:
I am going to try to spell it out for you, as difficult as that seems to be, ONE more time. CEASE your ignorant, misguided gibberish towards me; it has NO effect, and is both ludicrous and insulting. Do you understand? You are insulting by me, and my Church with your fundamentalist poppycock.
Direct your sad, misguided efforts towards someone as credulous and self righteous as yourself.
I would not stand for your insults in person, be assured.
Hornet67, what have I said that you find to be insulting? That you must be born again? That no one is saved by being baptized as an infant?

I suggest that you try actually reading the Bible and see what it says, instead of listening to what your church is telling you. The Catholic church is in error about a great many things, including its teachings about being saved through infant baptism.

Jesus Christ Himself said that you must be born again. It seems that you feel free to disregard what God Himself says in favor of what your church has apparently told you.

Again, why are you so angry at being told what the Bible itself says regarding the fact that you must be born again?

Are you willing to risk your eternal future on the belief that infant baptism will give you a ticket to heaven?

I am not trying to insult you or antagonize you. I am simply telling you the truth. The greatest decision you will ever make in your life is to place your faith in Jesus Christ for eternal life. I can tell you the truth but I cannot make you listen. But I hope that you will give this careful consideration. It is your eternal future which is at stake.

Last edited by Michael Way; 05-15-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Are you crazy? You know very well what the doctrine of the Catholic church is and that in the Church all priest obey the Pope and the doctrine of the Church. We don't want to turn into another Christian sect with fifty thousand denonitations... Born again? You just have to be a good Christian and a human being without the mystic drama and feeling of supremacy based on the relationship with God you claim.
That post was tailed to Velcro Queen because she related to it. Not all Priests nor ministers of any denomination for that matter teach or obey the truth. The RCC is in debt to their eye balls because of the law suits. Your bias to imply that all Priests obey the Pope and the Church is not true. Some do and some don't. Nothing wrong with saying that her sister met up with a good Priest who did teach the Truth.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,285,659 times
Thread closed pending moderator consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity