Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,837,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Hogwash, those who don't discriminate against gays are far closer to God than your typical Conservative who are nothing more than the modern day self-righteous religious leaders Jesus condemned 2000 years ago.

I would suggest actually learning what the Bible says in Hebrew and Greek on this issue and stop listening to your pastor's misguided teachings.
Exactly. You would think a psych major would know more about human development than PsychMajor2 apparently does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:05 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,815,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You do realize Christians existed before the Bible right? I'm curious when this Conservative trend of worshipping a book of paper created by the Catholic Church started.
This is mis-leading. OT Scripture existed before Christianity. Most NT Scripture was written & circulated in the 1st century. You're correct that the Bible as we know it today did not exist in early Christianity.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:10 PM

8 posts, read 12,490 times
Fiyero, thanks for your comments, but let me make myself clear, I do not discriminate against gays; I am against the gay lifestyle. There is a difference; a person who lives the gay lifestyle is a created human being like myself; I do not discriminate against him/her - the person. It is the lifestyle ...the act that I am against.

And yes, Jesus did reprimand the religious leaders of his time because of their hard hearts. When they presented the women before him saying she was caught in the 'act of adultery', and that she was to be stoned according to the law, Jesus told them to go ahead; stone her, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone; the religious leaders all walked away. Jesus didn't condemn her, but he told her to go, and sin no more. He loved her - the person, the created being, but not the things/lifestyle she was living. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:12 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,619,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It seems to be the case that there are gradually becoming more Liberal Churches performing s.s marriages or blessings.

For instance, the Episcopalian Church has started 'blessings'.

How do they reconcile this with the Bible and general Christian theology?
How do they justify not instructing their parishioners to kill disobedient children? For the very same book that labels homosexuality an abomination instructs us to do exactly that. How do you justify it? Or do you?

Old 08-16-2012, 01:21 PM

8 posts, read 12,490 times
Topaz, sure I am a PsychMajor, and do know about human development. Heck!...I got an 'A', but I am still learning. My stance against the gay 'lifestyle' has nothing to do with human development; nevertheless, I appreciate your candid response.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
How do they justify not instructing their parishioners to kill disobedient children? For the very same book that labels homosexuality an abomination instructs us to do exactly that. How do you justify it? Or do you?
That was written to Jews, not Christians.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:26 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMajor2 View Post
Fiyero, thanks for your comments, but let me make myself clear, I do not discriminate against gays; I am against the gay lifestyle. There is a difference; a person who lives the gay lifestyle is a created human being like myself; I do not discriminate against him/her - the person. It is the lifestyle ...the act that I am against.

And yes, Jesus did reprimand the religious leaders of his time because of their hard hearts. When they presented the women before him saying she was caught in the 'act of adultery', and that she was to be stoned according to the law, Jesus told them to go ahead; stone her, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone; the religious leaders all walked away. Jesus didn't condemn her, but he told her to go, and sin no more. He loved her - the person, the created being, but not the things/lifestyle she was living. Hope this clears things up a bit.
Maybe he just told her to do that for her own safety.

(MQ just trying to stir things up, hehehe.)

But to continue, a woman who is commiting adultery is also betraying and hurting someone else--her husband.

And just a note, jimmie--I don't think "lifestyle" is the correct word for what you are saying you are against. It is specifically the type of SEXUAL ACT you are against, isn't it? I don't think there is one "lifestyle" connected with homosexuals. They live many different types of lifestyles. Some are promiscuous, others are in committed relationships, etc.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe he just told her to do that for her own safety.

(MQ just trying to stir things up, hehehe.)

But to continue, a woman who is commiting adultery is also betraying and hurting someone else--her husband.

And just a note, jimmie--I don't think "lifestyle" is the correct word for what you are saying you are against. It is specifically the type of SEXUAL ACT you are against, isn't it? I don't think there is one "lifestyle" connected with homosexuals. They live many different types of lifestyles. Some are promiscuous, others are in committed relationships, etc.
I think you have me confused with another poster.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:44 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,619,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That was written to Jews, not Christians.
The bit about homosexuals wasn't?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 PM

127 posts, read 198,589 times
The same way they justify wearing 2 different kinds of cloth, or eating seafood, not holding slaves, not holding concubines, not selling daughters for livestock, among other things.

Marriage is not a strictly Christian/ any other religious thing since the oldest recorded marriage laws are from Hammurabi's Code from Mesopotamia written nearly 4,000 years ago, long before Christianity, so you can't argue that marriage is sacred because it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity