Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 11:49 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,822,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
This is mis-leading. OT Scripture existed before Christianity. Most NT Scripture was written & circulated in the 1st century. You're correct that the Bible as we know it today did not exist in early Christianity.
Most of the NT scripture was finished by the end of the 1st Century but 1) It was not heavily circulated yet and 2) Most people couldn't read and write. And the scriptures that were in existence, were not only the final ones that the Church ended up canonizing.

Christians existed before any book of the Bible was written. The Apostles were by definition the first Christians (or Messianic Jews).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:53 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,822,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMajor2 View Post
[color=black]Fiyero, thanks for your comments, but let me make myself clear, I do not discriminate against gays; I am against the gay lifestyle.
There is no such thing as the gay lifestyle. That is a conservative buzzword used to discriminate against gays. So spare me your apologetics.

Quote:
And yes, Jesus did reprimand the religious leaders of his time because of their hard hearts. When they presented the women before him saying she was caught in the 'act of adultery', and that she was to be stoned according to the law, Jesus told them to go ahead; stone her, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone; the religious leaders all walked away. Jesus didn't condemn her, but he told her to go, and sin no more. He loved her - the person, the created being, but not the things/lifestyle she was living. Hope this clears things up a bit.
Actually Jesus never said that, it was a later addition added to the text.

Your understanding of this issue is quite flawed, seeing as you are relying on an English translation and assuming it agrees with the original scripture (it doesn't).

Old 08-17-2012, 05:50 AM

89,035 posts, read 85,623,987 times
Quote:
I think you have me confused with another poster.
OOPS, yup, you are correct about that!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:52 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,891,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Christians existed before any book of the Bible was written. The Apostles were by definition the first Christians (or Messianic Jews).
Not true. The book of Job was written some 1500 years BC.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:09 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,468,861 times
Quote:
Not true. The book of Job was written some 1500 years BC.
I don't agree with much of what Fiyero is insinuating regarding the authority of the Bible, but I'll jump in for him here. He's clearly talking about the NT when he says "the Bible".

Aren't you proud of me Fiyero - like a good bible student, I use context to properly interpret what's being said =)

Last edited by snowdenscold; 08-17-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM

69 posts, read 111,465 times
I have never heard of any CHRISTIAN church performing gay marriages. I even searched the internet and can find no CHRISTIAN church that does so.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb90 View Post
The same way they justify wearing 2 different kinds of cloth, or eating seafood, not holding slaves, not holding concubines, not selling daughters for livestock, among other things.

Marriage is not a strictly Christian/ any other religious thing since the oldest recorded marriage laws are from Hammurabi's Code from Mesopotamia written nearly 4,000 years ago, long before Christianity, so you can't argue that marriage is sacred because it is not.
Marriage was instituted by God. It's a God thing.

Christians can eat seafood because it's not prohibited to them.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,416,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4DL View Post
Marriage was instituted by God. It's a God thing.

Christians can eat seafood because it's not prohibited to them.
Where in the bible did Jesus say that all the things markb90 mentioned are okay now? Just curious.

And seeing as how remarriage (with few exceptions) is prohibited by both God and Jesus in the bible, I take it we'll be seeing an outcry in opposition to remarriage any time soon, yes? NOT. Let's be real: what those two have said hasn't the same authority in the "Christian" mind that hatred has. Easier to be prejudiced against gays than people who remarry; so this prejudice is where most so-called Christians' loyalty lies.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,964,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4DL View Post
I have never heard of any CHRISTIAN church performing gay marriages. I even searched the internet and can find no CHRISTIAN church that does so.
No true Scotsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Where in the bible did Jesus say that all the things markb90 mentioned are okay now? Just curious.

And seeing as how remarriage (with few exceptions) is prohibited by both God and Jesus in the bible, I take it we'll be seeing an outcry in opposition to remarriage any time soon, yes? NOT. Let's be real: what those two have said hasn't the same authority in the "Christian" mind that hatred has. Easier to be prejudiced against gays than people who remarry; so this prejudice is where most so-called Christians' loyalty lies.
Jesus did not say it. God sent a message to Peter that he gives us an account of and Paul said Jesus taught it to him. Read what Paul had to say about the dietary laws being done away with.

Not sure what you were responding to in the remainder of your post so I will not comment on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity