Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:48 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,468,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

That God will send to the lake of fire forever those who do not place their faith in Christ for deliverance from the penalty for sin, is not an inference, it is a stated fact. (Matt. 25:41,46; John 3:36; 1 Thess. 1:8-9; Rev. 20:10-15). Universalists resort to all sorts of Scripture twisting to redefine the meaning of these passages. They will claim for themselves a superior spiritual understanding which they do not possess, and accuse those who truly do understand what those passages say of having being carnal.
it is a literal lake, if so it will burn flesh literally, literal flesh does not burn for a long time. If it is not literal then it will do nothing. How deep is this lake. I do remember reading that the "lake of fire is the second death". and " death will be abolished" hmmmm, maybe i read it in one of those super spiritual understanding books that i read...like the the second book of revelation.
Will you be upset and angry if God saves all people? Will you be questioning God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,142,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
it is a literal lake, if so it will burn flesh literally, literal flesh does not burn for a long time. If it is not literal then it will do nothing. How deep is this lake. I do remember reading that the "lake of fire is the second death". and " death will be abolished" hmmmm, maybe i read it in one of those super spiritual understanding books that i read...like the the second book of revelation.
Will you be upset and angry if God saves all people? Will you be questioning God?
I wonder if anybody thought about why it is a 'lake' instead of an 'ocean' or heck why not just a 'volcano' of lava. Seems that would be more ominous - anyone not found in the book of life will be thrown into the volcano of lava.

The word for lake there actually comes from another word which means 'pond' or 'harbor' ie. a safe haven.

Its interesting to note that Jesus started His ministry on a lake, teaching from a boat.
He also walked on water, on a lake.
And He finishes it all in another lake - in the presence of the lamb and the angels.

NOTE: Jesus is the living water.

Hmmm.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:02 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
I wonder if anybody thought about why it is a 'lake' instead of an 'ocean' or heck why not just a 'volcano' of lava. Seems that would be more ominous - anyone not found in the book of life will be thrown into the volcano of lava.

The word for lake there actually comes from another word which means 'pond' or 'harbor' ie. a safe haven.

Its interesting to note that Jesus started His ministry on a lake, teaching from a boat.
He also walked on water, on a lake.
And He finishes it all in another lake - in the presence of the lamb and the angels.

NOTE: Jesus is the living water.

Hmmm.
Thanks for sharing this Lego.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:23 PM

33,342 posts, read 26,564,538 times
Quote:
The nature of the lake of fire is not plainly stated. While fire is mentioned, it is also described as 'outer darkness.' It is a place where the unbeliever will spent the eternal future in misery and suffering, as well as in disgrace and everlasting contempt as stated in Daniel 12:2. Also, those who go into the lake of fire do so in a resurrected body which is designed for that environment.

I have a thread on the seven different categories of death described in the Bible. >>> //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ies-death.html

If you deny what the Scriptures which I posted say, it is you who are questioning God. And my feelings have no bearing on the matter and are not an issue. Reality is what it is.

There is no second book of Revelation by the way.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:30 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,863,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
This is an important point to understand. Are we more loving than God? Are not God's ways higher than our ways? Is God not able to convert and open the eyes of anyone He chooses at a time of His choosing?
Good point ... and you are correct, God is not a man. Therein, IMO, lies much of the problem with simply assuming that people-things are also true of God ... instead of simply referring to what scripture says.

God has opened the eyes of all people... through both nature and by giving all an inborn knowledge of His eternal power and deity - He is therefore able to say that those who suppress this obvious truth in their wickedness, are without excuse. (Rom 1:18-22). This is not a theology of rejection or condemnation, but, of a choice between justice and grace.

God is able to do anything! But, don't you believe He is more likely to do what He has promised, instead of arbitrarily changing His ways to match the way that people think He should be?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
"accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior '' <----- is not in the bible either

Actually, the concept is referred to in numerous verses, phrased as "Whosoever believes/trusts in Him .... as opposed to those 'who are condemned already because they have NOT believed" (Jn 3:16-18) -- But, for the sake of precision, the specific words "accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior" are not there -- thus, many refer to it as 'believing on Jesus' rather than 'accepting Jesus' --- Nevertheless, the concept is both straight-forward and scriptural.

''God has given mankind His Living and Written Word so that there is no excuse for rejecting or not knowing God’s Word of Truth" <---not in there either.
Again, it does seem to appear in Romans 1:18-20 -- Of course, it doesn't say the word 'Bible', which did not exist in that form yet. However, whether one refers to God's Word as "scripture" or the "Bible", the concept is again both straight-forward and "scriptural"

Rom 1:18-20 - 18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
He,Jesus Christ( not a man with a beard) is the Rock of our Salvation.God gave us Son is scriptural. God gave us his written word is most definetly not. Jesus Christ is not open to private interpretation, for when your eyes are opened you cannot confess anything other than He is Lord. Remind me again how many denominations and interpretations off the bible there is ?. He is the more sure word of prophecy.

Not sure what you are saying, so I may miss the point, but, doesn't John 1:1 and John 1:14 make it pretty clear that Jesus Christ is the Living Word made flesh?

To answer the question are we are all God children the scripture is clear that He is making man in His own image, that in Him we live and move and have our being, and this one is indisputable unless you are as blind as a bat......for even as in Adam all die, so also in the Christ all shall be made alive. I know it hurts your pride when you come to the knowledge you did nothing to be in Adam and likewise you did nothing to be found in Christ, He put you there, and you responded to His call ( if you have) at His appointed time. Isn't God Good ?.
While I agree with a good part of what you are saying, except, the blanket assignment of the positional relationship: "God's children" on all flesh --- is simply not scriptural. Your scripture-based point ..."for even as in Adam all die, so also in the Christ all shall be made alive" is, of course, true. However, one can more readily find scriptural confirmation for the understanding that 'without Christ, none shall be made alive' ... than for the "prideful, blind as a bat notion (sorry, your words)" that God simply 'injects' Salvation and Eternal life into all living people. (To interpret otherwise, negates the meaning of God's Holiness, Justice, Grace and Mercy.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 PM

28,124 posts, read 30,046,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Why the question?
People often proclaim, “We are all God’s children” -- as though nothing else matters. The perception seems to be: – ‘because earthly parents love all their children and try to treat them all the same; ….God (the ‘Father’) similarly loves everyone and will always treat everyone the same way … (which some conclude means that ALL people will ‘automatically’ spend eternity in heaven, with God -- Inferred: 'has no personal accountability for their lives or choices in this world'.)
Well, I guess you could infer that if you wanted to. Personally, your conclusion sounds like kind of a stretch to me. The Bible may not say, "We are all God's children," but it does say that God is the father of our spirits and that we are His offspring. That would mean that we are far more than merely "creations." No one except God is or ever has been capable of giving us life. We are therefore His children -- all of us. Some of God's children have renounced Him, but they can't change the source of their being. He is waiting patiently for His wayward children to return, just as the father in the parable of the prodigal son did.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You infer and assume all kinds of things that are not implied by anyone that I know of who believes that we are all God's children.

Anyone who has more than one child knows that a parent will not treat all of their children the same because each one is different and needs different things. Nor does a parent who loves their child never hold them accountable for their choices. But, most certainly, no loving parent/God is going to send ANYone to eternal torment. That you may infer from the biblical definition of love.

So ... your belief that "We are all God's Children" ... is based on what human parents would do, instead of scripture? Isn't that basically what I said in the initial post?

"Why the question?
People often proclaim, “We are all God’s children” -- as though nothing else matters. The perception seems to be: – ‘because earthly parents love all their children and try to treat them all the same; ….God (the ‘Father’) similarly loves everyone and will always treat everyone the same way … (which some conclude means that ALL people will ‘automatically’ spend eternity in heaven, with God -- Inferred: 'has no personal accountability for their lives or choices in this world'.)

Old 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I guess you could infer that if you wanted to. Personally, your conclusion sounds like kind of a stretch to me. The Bible may not say, "We are all God's children," but it does say that God is the father of our spirits and that we are His offspring. That would mean that we are far more than merely "creations." No one except God is or ever has been capable of giving us life. We are therefore His children -- all of us. Some of God's children have renounced Him, but they can't change the source of their being. He is waiting patiently for His wayward children to return, just as the father in the parable of the prodigal son did.
Yes, we are certainly more than so many 'ducks and hamsters' ... who also breathe, move, bleed and die.
But, the accompanying theology with many of the "We're all God's children" advocates, goes beyond the literary "God is the father of all life" proposition.

Scripture is VERY clear on this point, so that we will not be confused into believing that just because God created and loves us .... we are automatically "sons/daughters" ... and that He has somehow obligated Himself to give every created person 'eternal life' beyond this life. Scripture makes it very clear that "We must be born again" and that only believers in Christ are God's sons/daughters who have Salvation and eternal life. (The prodigal son parable refers to one who was already a son ... not to a stranger or someone else's son). Jesus himself introduced the whole, entirely new concept of "Sonship" (Jn. 5:18)

Sons by faith in Christ Scripture examples: Jn 1:12, Gal 4:4-5, Jn 8:44, Jn 3:1-2, Gal 3:26, Rom 8:14-18, Jn 5:23, 2Jn1:8-10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity