Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,500,449 times

Advertisements

A 10 part mini-series, "The Bible" begins on March 3rd at 8:00 eastern time/7:00 central time. The link below is to the History Channel, so it is safe to view. Click on the video preview to see some scenes. I hope all of you will watch the series and that it makes a positive impact in your own spiritual life.

God Bless You All,

Click here: The Bible - An Original Mini-Series on HISTORY - History.com — History.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
I'm skeptical. I've seen enough bad ones put out....I'm leery. The trailer on tv seems to show Jesus saying they were going to "Change the World". I'm not familiar with him saying anything like that. I will not recommend it to my congregation until I actually see it.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:07 AM

307 posts, read 285,014 times
Secular media has not been know for accuracy in depicting biblical events. They have no reason to present it correctly so they often take license to make changes they think will make it more entertaining.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,444,547 times
I think it's wonderful a wonderful idea, but from the clips I've seen, I'm a little disappointed.

The first thing I see is pretty much all the cast are of european descent. Now I'm not racist or anything of that nature, only every mini series and movie about the Bible we've seen up until this point have mostly white actors portraying people of middle eastern descent. I would like accuracy for a change, and I don't know, I wonder if there is some kind of bias to keep casting white actors for these roles.

The second thing I notice is they added some their own drama to certain scenes. For instance, I've seen the scene where Abraham took Isaac to be sacrificed. They pretty much made it look like Abraham was a maniac, and Isaac was his victim. Now yes, what God asked Abraham to do was hard to take, but God was not only testing Abraham's faith, but He was also showing Abraham what He was going to do, in sending His only Son to be sacrificed for us. Nonetheless, the whole scene was about Isaac being an unwilling victim. They even had Sarah running all the way to the mountain, to see if Abraham sacrificed Isaac, and we know that is not what happened.

Other things I felt were wrong in that particularly scene was they had Isaac as a boy (and again Abraham and his family are played by actors of european descent, Isaac even had blonde hair if I remember correctly. I want accuracy for crying out loud!). The Bible tells us Isaac was a young lad by this point, and it denotes he was probably at least a teenager during this time. They made Isaac look like an unwilling victim to be sacrificed, but how many of you know that Abraham was an old man. I think if Isaac didn't want to be sacrificed, he could wup an old man wouldn't you say? The Bible doesn't say Isaac was unwilling, matter of fact he asked his father where was the lamb to be sacrificed, so at some point he realized what was going on. The Bible gives us the impression that Isaac was willing to be sacrificed, and since Isaac was a picture of Jesus, this shows us how the son submits to the father's will. Yet in this mini-series, Abraham basically catch Isaac off guard while he was busy setting up the sticks for burnt offering, and Abraham ties an unwilling Isaac down.

Now perhaps I didn't see the whole scene as it will air, because this was only a sneek preview clip, but the scene was presented like Abraham was a crazy man about to murder his son. Even when God stops Abraham (and they show a lamb caught in the thicket, whereas it was a ram with it's horn stuck in the bush, so that wasn't accurate to the Bible), the whole thing was still about Isaac. It was presented as Isaac is now safe, and Sarah rushes to hold her boy to end the scene. It doesn't explain the whole thing was a test for Abraham, and how God confirms Abraham being a God fearing man and once again confirming the promise He made to Abraham. No, the whole thing was about Isaac being a victim.

So it was scenes like that, got me disappointed in this mini-series. Not to be a downer here, God can use this film to encourage people to learn more about their faith, but the film itself is just not accurate overall. For people who haven't read the Bible, and only watch this film, will come away with a wrong impression about Scripture and what it says. Oh, and I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that everything from Adam to the tower of Babel, will be a gross inaccuracy! We still have a bedtime story view about Genesis. Now I believe Genesis literally happened, and from the account I've read in the Bible, it is nothing like our bedtime depiction. As a young earth creationist, there is no doubt in my mind I will be disappointed there. I'm disappointed with a lot of the depictions found in the creation museum.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,174,444 times
The writers and producers have made it known that they're trying to bring the Bible into the 21st century in a way that people today can relate to. For that, I understand the "adlibing" if you will - but I'm going to be looking at the big picture for the message we all know to be true.

There's a lot of conversation that went on that was never recorded, so I'm not going to dismiss it easily.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The writers and producers have made it known that they're trying to bring the Bible into the 21st century in a way that people today can relate to. For that, I understand the "adlibing" if you will - but I'm going to be looking at the big picture for the message we all know to be true.

There's a lot of conversation that went on that was never recorded, so I'm not going to dismiss it easily.
The problem is if/when the extra dialogue changes the message. I recall a miniseries about the Bible in the late 90's. They actually had Lot in a pirate ship attacking Noah in the ark. To me, that's over the line.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

Whenever Hollywood imagines itself "bringing anything (much less the Bible) into the 21st Century," they inevitably mean 'adding a great deal of gratuitous sex, violence and liberal thinking. I'll check it out, but, I've been sorely disappointed every time another of these "the real Jesus" or "modern miracles" pops-up.

It seems to me that some of the 1960's efforts: 'The Robe' and others, made much more effort to maintain the integrity of the text. The more recent depictions of Bible events seem more focused on trying to disprove or denigrate 'the real Bible.'

Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,503,740 times
I guess we will need to watch it to count the inaccuracies. I don't trust the History channel to be accurate anymore, I see so many falsehoods they put out there as real history.

I just advise not to buy any of their videos, save your money for better researched videos.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
If anybody thinks that watching this will lead to a fruitful Christian teaching you will most likely be very disappointed. Most likely, based upon what has been viewed in the past, it will all be very Humanistic and Liberal thus assisting in the destroying of your Faith. Remember who the "Prince of the Power of the Air" is. Satan uses this garbage talking through the philosophy of lost and deceived "scholars" to pollute the minds of the childlike faith you have in God.

If you watch it, I highly recommend putting very little weight in it but use it to see the tactics of our enemy who no doubt is using this medium to deceive that vast majority of the populace.

In Christ.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,444,547 times
I want to address the idea that, movie producers have to spice things up in order to make the Bible feel interesting or modern. This is a load of baloney. There is nothing more interesting than what is written in the Bible. I mean you had stuff like David having sex with a man's wife, while he is out there fighting wars. You have drama between Sarah and her servant Hagar, perhaps fighting over the affection of Abraham. All of that is human conflict, because the Bible is about God saving us from our sin nature. You don't have to spice that stuff up.

It's religion that stiffen up the things written in the Bible. It's religion that has drawn Jesus as walking around with his hands folded, and having a robotic look on His face. (The picture that always have me chuckling a bit, is the one where Jesus is doing something with His hand, kind of like a hand sign or something) If producers want to spice that stuff up, they are looking at the wrong thing in the first place. They are looking at man's traditions within the church world, and not the Bible itself. Yet anyway, as one who is now wanting to be taught more about the truth of God's message in the Bible, which is His grace for us in Jesus, I want straight up accuracy! From the clips I've seen (and if you watch the Trinity Broadcasting Network or any of the other Christians networks, they shown a great deal of preview clips from this mini-series), this film will not be greatly accurate except for pretty much the overall doctrine of Jesus dying for our sins and stuff like that.

The producers of this mini-series are Mark Burnett and Roma Downey. I don't know much about Mark (you can look him up on wikipedia), but Roma was a star from the hit series "Touch by an Angel". I never really saw the tv show that much, I was young when it was in it's prime and didn't care much for it, but I can tell it's message wasn't about telling who Jesus is. God may have just been a generic term in the show overall, and kind of leaned toward Christianity without getting too involved in talking on Jesus. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong) So with that in mind, I know Roma knows how to as we said, "spice" things up for the world to see her shows. I'm not condemning her in any way, all I'm saying is just don't expect to see great accuracy in this mini-series of the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity