Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:29 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I think it's wonderful a wonderful idea, but from the clips I've seen, I'm a little disappointed.

The first thing I see is pretty much all the cast are of european descent. Now I'm not racist or anything of that nature, only every mini series and movie about the Bible we've seen up until this point have mostly white actors portraying people of middle eastern descent. I would like accuracy for a change, and I don't know, I wonder if there is some kind of bias to keep casting white actors for these roles.
Maybe they should put Buckwheat from the Little Rascals in the crib for the baby Jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,451,233 times

But yeah, I do want accuracy. I want to see people of middle-eastern descent play these roles. When you keep seeing actors of european descent play these roles (and pretty much every main role is played by a white actor in this mini series), you have to wonder a little bit. Plus, in general, I want to see more diversity in movies.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,184,699 times
Actor Favorite Bible Verses - The Bible Series

Old 02-27-2013, 07:44 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,520,612 times
The makers were on O'Reilly and they seemed to be sincere and they are portraying the bible as closely as they can. I think it may turn out to be good and worthwhile to watch, especially during Lent now.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
I'm less hopeful now. The Board of Advisors:

Board of Advisors | The Bible Series

Joel Osteen, TD Jakes, Rick Warren, 2 Catholics and a big wig from Fuller Seminary. That sounds like the start of a bad joke. I'm not sure that anyone in that group really cares about Biblical accuracy.

Last edited by Vizio; 02-28-2013 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 09:37 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,463,489 times
the history channel might quote wikipidia and facebook as a source of authorization

Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
I'm looking forward to this. If the series is done correctly, it should be fascinating to watch. And I think the more people who are exposed to the history aspect of Jesus and Christianity, the more it will cause them to think, and maybe, just maybe, embrace it.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 PM

FYI, thought you might be interest in this.

In case you haven't heard:

Finally some decent television coming to a set near you. This mini-series does not begin until March 3rd but this will give all of us a chance to tell as many people as possible about this series. Let's use this series to reach as many people as possible.

The Bible is an epic five-week, 10 hour television mini-series premiering March 3, 2013 on the History Channel from Emmy Award winning husband and wife team, Mark Burnett and Roma Downey. For two hours each Sunday night millions of viewers will see the Bible come to life in a way never before seen.

The final episode of the series will air on Easter Sunday and will feature the death and resurrection of Jesus. To help insure the accuracy of the miniseries, many Christian scholars served as advisors and hundreds of Christian leaders have given their endorsement. - (Outreach Magazine)

"It is also a project close to Mr. Burnett's heart. In the past couple of years the 52-year-old former paratrooper says he has become deeply religious, a transition he credits to Roma Downey, his wife since 2007. "It wasn't until I met Roma that I truly understood my faith and it's been a dynamic shift for me," Mr. Burnett said. - Wall Street Journal "Famed television
producer Mark Burnett tackles his projects with passion, but The Bible is a special
labor of love.

The 10-hour, five-part docudrama, which premieres March 3 on the History Channel, will span the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, presenting some of its best- known stories, including Noah's Ark, the
Exodus, Daniel in the lions' den and the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.

Former Touched By an Angel star Roma Downey, Burnett's wife and fellow
executive producer, heads a large international cast in the role of Mother
Mary. Keith David, an Emmy winner for voice-over performances, will narrate
with a musical score by Oscar- and Grammy-winning composer Hans Zimmer.

"In terms of importance, nothing we've ever done, not Touched By an Angel,
not Survivor, not The Voice, not The Apprentice, none of this could possibly
compare to The Bible," Burnett says. "To us, as a family, we love the Bible.

This is not a TV show to us. It's images and sound and sacred text that people will still watch, way after our grandchildren are old people."

Since the entire Bible can't be covered in 10 hours, the miniseries, which was
filmed in Morocco, focuses on a select group of stories and features such
compelling figures as Abraham, Moses and David. Some stories had to be
compressed for artistic purposes. "In the end, what we've done is a meta-narrative, a grand narrative of emotionally connected stories. We know we're not qualified to teach the Bible. We're qualified to be good
television producers and storytellers. By telling these emotionally connected, big stories, hopefully millions of people will reopen their Bibles,"

Burnett says. Downey came up with the idea for the miniseries a few years ago. "It is our obligation to tell the stories as written," he says. "The stories are so
brilliant and compelling." The project will have broad appeal, he says. "If you know the Bible, you'll enjoy seeing the stories come to life. If you've never read the Bible, I think you'll love the stories," he says.
"There's a reason the Bible is the most widely read book in the world." - USA Today

--

Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 PM

Default This is Raymond Arroyo show

World Over - 2013-02-28 - Pope Benedict's Final Day, "The Bible" miniseries with Raymond Arroyo - YouTube

You can fast forward it to the 38 minute mark when he starts to interview the producers of "The Bible" TV series. Very interesting.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:43 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quick, stupid question... I don't actually watch a ton of TV, but this interests me. We just changed from DirectTV to Dish Network. What channel is the History Chanel on Dish Network?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity