Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:26 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
There is a show on lifetime right now called the bible. Is this what the OP is talking about?
I have something else on LIFE.

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_(TV_series)

It starts with Noah's ark rocking in the storm, and a voice describing the creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 11:00 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,533,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Did you also happen to catch the obvious silence on the confrontation between Lot \ all the men (young and old):
.. all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house.
They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”
We certainly can not draw any connection between "wickedness" and the intentions of the mob toward the men in Lot's house... in this day and age of the Satanical push for same sex approval.

Not to mention the stupidity of Lot attempting to satisfy an angry mob of men wanting to have homosexual sex with men with the solution of offering his daughters.
YES, I thought, are they going to stay close to the bible now? They missed a good point in the bible to address this and they blew it. Guess they want their show to be accepted more than they say about staying true to the bible.

As for Lot offering his daughters, God did not want him to do that but that was all Lot could think of and he was backed into a corner. BUT if the men were really evil they would not care if it was man or woman they probably would sexually assault either sex.

Did the bible say the daughters were sent out or did the angels save Lot's family and led them out of the city before that happened? Maybe Lot knew the men would not want his daughters for sex so he knew they would not be interested in the daughters. One could take it both ways.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,025,385 times
Huffpo has an article criticizing the mini-series:
Dr. Joel Hoffman: The Bible Isn't The History You Think It Is

Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,988,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Huffpo has an article criticizing the mini-series:
Dr. Joel Hoffman: The Bible Isn't The History You Think It Is
Heartsong, I went to the link you provided and Hoffman said this:

For example, Adam, in the first section, lives to the symbolic age of 930, and Noah lives even twenty years
longer than that. Abraham, from the second section, lives to be 175, his son Issac to 180, and Jacob "dies
young" at the age of 147. But the lifespans from King David onward, in the third section, are in line with
generally accepted human biology.

I wonder why he says Adam's age was symbolic. What does it symbolize? I think he really did live that long. It was after the flood that life expectancy was drastically reduced. Was there a canopy surrounding the earth protecting it from the suns harmful rays but after the flood that canopy came down in the form of rain?
BTW, there are people who were living in Tibet prior to China overrunning it who lived hundreds and even more years.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:58 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,192,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Was there a canopy surrounding the earth protecting it from the suns harmful rays but after the flood that canopy came down in the form of rain?
That's the way it's generally explained.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:51 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Did you also happen to catch the obvious silence on the confrontation between Lot \ all the men (young and old):
.. all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house.
They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”
We certainly can not draw any connection between "wickedness" and the intentions of the mob toward the men in Lot's house... in this day and age of the Satanical push for same sex approval.

Not to mention the stupidity of Lot attempting to satisfy an angry mob of men wanting to have homosexual sex with men with the solution of offering his daughters.
Not just stupid--evil. Offering up your own daughters as rape victims? Nice guy. But it's part of the setup--Lot has to be the only survivor along with his daughters in order to get to the punch line of the story.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
YES, I thought, are they going to stay close to the bible now? They missed a good point in the bible to address this and they blew it. Guess they want their show to be accepted more than they say about staying true to the bible.

As for Lot offering his daughters, God did not want him to do that but that was all Lot could think of and he was backed into a corner. BUT if the men were really evil they would not care if it was man or woman they probably would sexually assault either sex.

Did the bible say the daughters were sent out or did the angels save Lot's family and led them out of the city before that happened? Maybe Lot knew the men would not want his daughters for sex so he knew they would not be interested in the daughters. One could take it both ways.
I believe the Bible says Lot offered his daughters but they rejected them. They wanted the men.

In any event, there is no mention in the Bible of Samurai, Matrix-style warrior angels that went off on the people of Sodom to rescue Lot and his family.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,382,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
In any event, there is no mention in the Bible of Samurai, Matrix-style warrior angels that went off on the people of Sodom to rescue Lot and his family.
Well, maybe that was the problem with the original story...it needed to be "Peter Jacksonized!!"

Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I never knew the angels that went to Sodom turned into God's Ninjas. I thought they just walked away through the angry crowd and were unharmed. Having them turn into Ninjas and drawing huge swords killing all of them was just silly. That is just hack TV.
OK, I fell asleep and missed this show. I don't feel bad about it now. Yes, silly.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Well, maybe that was the problem with the original story...it needed to be "Peter Jacksonized!!"
nah....I recommend reading the book over the movie. It's much better. And like all movie adaptations....there is a lot more good stuff in the book that was never touched upon in the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity