Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What say you?
It's better that most go to hell and a few go to heaven 6 28.57%
It'd be better if God never created us/we all just die 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:14 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't think it will be like a tribunal. You'll either find yourself in heaven, purgatory, or hell. Right now, I just worry about being a decent person, faults and all. Your rep score is low. That means you beat a fundamentalist horse to death and are sort of a one-trick-pony, with little breadth in the subjects you are able to broach on a richly multifaceted venue such as CD.
You said you believe the Bible. The fact is, you don't. You're trying to be "good enough" to get to heaven. I suggest you read John 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 03:18 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You said you believe the Bible. The fact is, you don't. You're trying to be "good enough" to get to heaven. I suggest you read John 3.
Read the Bible many times in parochial school. Got A's in religion, too. Heard enough Gospel readings and interpretations via homilies at MASS (Gasp). I think I have the idea. Do you keep reading novels you like over and over once you understood them? Please improve your rep to post ratio. Don't preach, for starters.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Read the Bible many times in parochial school. Got A's in religion, too. Heard enough Gospel readings and interpretations via homilies at MASS (Gasp). I think I have the idea. Do you keep reading novels you like over and over once you understood them? Please improve your rep to post ratio. Don't preach, for starters.
I think you don't, but it's your decision.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
I think you don't, but it's your decision.
Tell me, my friend, what do I need to do? Convert to a fundamentalist religion, read the Bible daily, force the belief unto others, and shout "Praise the Lord in church?" Please tell me, or I won't know what to do.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Without Jesus' redemptive work, what would be our fate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A sleep without dreams, having no hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have decided your title just HAS to be Christ's Poet Laureate, Jerwade!
Most are blind to see the figure of him who hung on a stake or tree.
They stumble, ever groping; an intermittent hoping for all humanity.

Thank you, Mystics, you have been a blessing to me.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,477 times
I don't see the connection between God creating us and death.

Assuming this is life (not one, not many...defined) then, death is definitionally not life. So, the faulty assumption is that God had to have created us for us to have existed.

True or false, who knows? But it's ambiguous, regardless.

So, the answer to your question is a.

Keep in mind, I think the question absurd to begin with, so that isn't my answer...

My answer, if I'm to answer within the scope of absurdity, that is, I'm to answer similarly absurdly would be 'I get along fine with most everyone...I'm glad I exist, I find it interesting you do too, so, no, I don't think it'd be better if he didn't create us, regardless of any qualifications to that.'

And I'd, in turn, ask you 'Why would you think 90% of people would go to hell? Do you think his judgements too harsh or have you lost hope in us humans?'

Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Tell me, my friend, what do I need to do? Convert to a fundamentalist religion, read the Bible daily, force the belief unto others, and shout "Praise the Lord in church?" Please tell me, or I won't know what to do.
None of the above. Rather...

Admit you are a sinner.

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" (Romans*3:23)

Be willing to turn from sin (repent).

Jesus said: "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish." (Luke*13:5)

Believe that Jesus Christ died for you, was buried, and rose from the dead.

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." (Romans*10:9)

Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 PM

131 posts, read 260,739 times
My understanding is that hell is the complete removal from any of God’s presence, and the second death will then destroy these souls. This happens on judgment day, so some get to wait a little longer then others, and the people who never wanted to be with God get their wish. I personally see nothing horribly wrong with this (unlike the Rolling Stones song, everybody gets what they want).

Old 10-12-2012, 04:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop22 View Post
My understanding is that hell is the complete removal from any of God’s presence, and the second death will then destroy these souls. This happens on judgment day, so some get to wait a little longer then others, and the people who never wanted to be with God get their wish. I personally see nothing horribly wrong with this (unlike the Rolling Stones song, everybody gets what they want).
What exactly is it, that you, or other people desire?

Old 10-12-2012, 05:04 PM

712 posts, read 2,145,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I cannot understand the mindset that would allow one to be eternally joyful while thinking others are in torment with no hope of reprieve, EVER.
Ohh, you can understand the mindset.. but they don't make much sense..

God or the creator comes from the vibration of "unconditional love" he even loves those.. that don't love themselves.. and many playing the game of "bad ones go here" don't love themselves and many people that do the so-called "bad things" also don't love themselves...

But to them and to all "unconditional love" is offered.. because it has no conditions..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I have to take frequent respites from this forum because it can be so disheartening.
Don't let people effect your energy/happiness.. my suggestion..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity