Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2023, 06:28 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My favorite scene from Schitt's Creek. Brilliant writing.
That was a fantastic show. We really enjoyed it here at Chez Mordant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 07:54 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Alright. You've made similar remarks many times as to how 'disordered' homosexuality is ... which is, of course, a tenet of your RCC leanings. So, what does a person who suffers from this disorder need to do to remedy this disorder? Seek therapy? Pray the 'gay' away?

See, it's one thing to keep shaming gay folks with derogatory tags such as 'you folks are disordered' (i.e., you are suffering from an illness or condition that disrupts normal physical or mental functions) and another thing to offer kindly assistance re legitimate suggestions as to what these folks can do 'to be healed' from this 'affliction'.
I'm not a spiritual counselor, and since this situation is deeply personal for those affected, I wouldn't presume to tell any particular individual what they should do or how they should go about seeking remedy beyond basic principles that would apply to any situation of a person tempted to sin.

Prayer, penance, and good spiritual reading are always a good remedy for any affliction.

Others much more qualified than I have offered solutions. I would suggest they seek those out.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:00 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Have a little supper, put the kids to bed, give the wife a peck on the check then....Bam! right back to discussing men's genitals and the proper way to handle them.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:27 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Default Does having gay thoughts mean you are gay?

I have tried to imagine having gay thoughts about another male and find it quite impossible. I would have to answer the OP in the affirmative. You have to be gay to even entertain such thoughts, IMO. Whether or not that would apply to women is an open question since I believe women tend to seek very different things from sexual congress.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:42 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I have tried to imagine having gay thoughts about another male and find it quite impossible. I would have to answer the OP in the affirmative. You have to be gay to even entertain such thoughts, IMO. Whether or not that would apply to women is an open question since I believe women tend to seek very different things from sexual congress.
teehee

Do we vote

Old 09-14-2023, 04:31 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yeah those thoughts never cross my mind either.
Even if I was incarcerated in prison or jail, I would still strongly resist such behaviors.
Having an adult child come out as gay has certainly made me change many of my world views however.
In the secular world, full equality is only a fairly recent thing, and still denied in many non western countries or theocracies.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:01 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Alright. You've made similar remarks many times as to how 'disordered' homosexuality is ... which is, of course, a tenet of your RCC leanings. So, what does a person who suffers from this disorder need to do to remedy this disorder? Seek therapy? Pray the 'gay' away?

See, it's one thing to keep shaming gay folks with derogatory tags such as 'you folks are disordered' (i.e., you are suffering from an illness or condition that disrupts normal physical or mental functions) and another thing to offer kindly assistance re legitimate suggestions as to what these folks can do 'to be healed' from this 'affliction'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'm not a spiritual counselor, and since this situation is deeply personal for those affected, I wouldn't presume to tell any particular individual what they should do or how they should go about seeking remedy beyond basic principles that would apply to any situation of a person tempted to sin.

Prayer, penance, and good spiritual reading are always a good remedy for any affliction.

Others much more qualified than I have offered solutions. I would suggest they seek those out.
Well, first and foremost the word 'sin' needs to be removed from the equation whenever homosexuality as a sexual orientation is discussed. It's the use of THIS term that automatically labels homosexuality as being wrong ...even evil, in fact, since 'sin' is a term that comes solely from the Bible.

As for your "others much more qualified than I have offered solutions" there doesn't appear to be much, or even any, factual evidence to support this. Moreover, this more than suggests that if therapy IS required then homosexuality is clearly seen to be not a choice but something that CAN be reversed given appropriate treatment.

Here is an item from the publication Live Science from 2013. I doubt that there have been any startling new revelations of successful conversion from 'gay to straight' in the last ten years.

https://www.livescience.com/37139-fa...n-therapy.html

Groups that promote conversion therapy often point to a single study to support their work. In 2003, famed psychiatrist Robert Spitzer, who spearheaded the removal of homosexuality from the American Psychiatric Association's mental disorder list in 1973, reported in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior that interviews with conversion therapy patients suggested that some people could change their sexual orientation.

The paper was incendiary and highly criticized, given that it relied on interviews with patients instead of measurable benchmarks of same-sex desires. Conservative groups were delighted to have support from Spitzer, who wasn't tainted with religious bias or anti-gay ideology; gay organizations felt betrayed.

In the end, however, Spitzer came to agree with his critics. There was no way to confirm that what his interviewees said was true, he wrote in 2012 to the editor of the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior. The study, he said, was fatally flawed.

"I believe I owe the gay community an apology for my study making unproven claims of the efficacy of reparative therapy," Spitzer wrote.

Old 09-14-2023, 06:08 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
To both MysticPhD and Derek41 ...I don't think it's helpful to someone who is gay to read how 'normal' you both are and therefore how 'abnormal' they are, even though I don't think that was your intention.

Old 09-15-2023, 01:14 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
To both MysticPhD and Derek41 ...I don't think it's helpful to someone who is gay to read how 'normal' you both are and therefore how 'abnormal' they are, even though I don't think that was your intention.
It was not. I just answered the question. I said nothing about normal or abnormal. Those are your words. Sexual attraction to males by males and thoughts thereof define a gay male, period. No mention of normality involved.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:34 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Quote:
[color="Navy"]Well, first and foremost the word 'sin' needs to be removed from the equation whenever homosexuality as a sexual orientation is discussed.
Why?

Quote:
It's the use of THIS term that automatically labels homosexuality as being wrong ...even evil, in fact, since 'sin' is a term that comes solely from the Bible.
"Sin" is not a term that comes solely from the Bible. The Greek word that we translate as "sin" in our English New Testaments is "ἁμαρτίαν (hamartian)", which literally means "missing the mark". It is absolutely fair to label homosexuality as "missing the mark", since it is an example of going astray from nature's design and "missing the mark" of how God intended for us to use our sexuality.

Quote:
As for your "others much more qualified than I have offered solutions" there doesn't appear to be much, or even any, factual evidence to support this. Moreover, this more than suggests that if therapy IS required then homosexuality is clearly seen to be not a choice but something that CAN be reversed given appropriate treatment.
I don't know if it can be "reversed" in the sense of those same-sex temptations ceasing. Therapy to eliminate certain thoughts or temptations seems like a bit of a foolhardy errand to me. As long as we are breathing, we will experience temptations to sin. What is most definitely possible with the help of Christ and the Sacraments is that a person who experiences same-sex attraction can resist those temptations to sin and live a pure life, and die in a state of grace and in friendship with God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity