Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2023, 11:28 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullafaith View Post
He doesn’t save anyone.

Everyone must save themselves by worshiping in spirit and in truth as the servant of God. Jesus gave us an example to follow, that’s it.
So, a works-based salvation. Good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 11:48 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
The passage of scripture you quote above is clearly (?) referring to pagan idolatry and temple prostitution, BF. While Paul (who the heck was Paul anyway that we should cling to his every word?) may well have personally vetoed homosexuality had he encountered it, the passage above IS NOT referring to 'homosexuality' per se. You even quote the part "they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles" (i.e., pertaining to the worship practices of Pagan idolatry) but yet you (and many others) somehow ignore this. Why do you do this?
It really isn't. You're reading into it. I know you want to believe that. You can choose to believe it's talking about temple prostitution if you want, but the point is that they were condemned not just for the ACTIONS, but for the lust, as well.

They were condemned for lusting after each other. Instead of reading into the text, go with what it actually says.

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 09-17-2023 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-17-2023, 11:51 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Jesus didn’t and couldn’t die for anyone’s sin. The only way one can conclude He did is by twisting scripture for their own sake.

“Blessed are the pure of heart, they will see God.”

“No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born from above.”

Only he who is born from above will see the Father!
It's literally what the Bible says.

Rom 3:25 "whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins."

I mean...I don't know how else you can read that.

Old 09-17-2023, 03:50 PM

84 posts, read 17,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Rom 3:25 "whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins."

Paul was a sinner, not inspired and totally wrong.

“Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood shall live forever and I shall honor him on the last day.”

“My flesh is true food and my blood is honest drink.”

True food and honest drink equals God’s word. His flesh and blood are God’s word not red blood and human meat.

Old 09-17-2023, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Paul was a sinner, not inspired and totally wrong.

“Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood shall live forever and I shall honor him on the last day.”

“My flesh is true food and my blood is honest drink.”

True food and honest drink equals God’s word. His flesh and blood are God’s word not red blood and human meat.
Jesus and the apostles Peter and John, who walked with Him, all spoke of us being saved by the blood of Christ.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Jesus and the apostles Peter and John, who walked with Him, all spoke of us being saved by the blood of Christ.
Peter and John were confused right up until Jesus was crucified. They really never understood because they failed to do what Jesus commanded. Only those who do what Jesus commanded will ever enter into the kingdom of heaven. He who enters the kingdom of heaven walks in understanding and he who is born from above comes to the light.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Peter and John were confused right up until Jesus was crucified. They really never understood because they failed to do what Jesus commanded. Only those who do what Jesus commanded will ever enter into the kingdom of heaven. He who enters the kingdom of heaven walks in understanding and he who is born from above comes to the light.
Peter, John and Paul all agreed with Jesus. “This is my blood. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.“

Old 09-17-2023, 06:55 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,899,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
The passage of scripture you quote above is clearly (?) referring to pagan idolatry and temple prostitution, BF. While Paul (who the heck was Paul anyway that we should cling to his every word?) may well have personally vetoed homosexuality had he encountered it, the passage above IS NOT referring to 'homosexuality' per se. You even quote the part "they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles" (i.e., pertaining to the worship practices of Pagan idolatry) but yet you (and many others) somehow ignore this. Why do you do this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie"
It really isn't. You're reading into it.
That passage of scripture is pretty clear. No one needs to read anything into it other than what it says. Besides, this passage was contained within the contents of a letter that was not addressed to me by someone I never knew personally. Why should it even matter to me what some guy named Paul wrote to someone else a couple of thousand years ago? In fact, why do YOU care?

Quote:
I know you want to believe that.
To tell the truth I really don't care what some guy I don't know may have written a couple of thousand years ago to someone else who I also didn't know. The only reason I even take on these scriptures is when they are used to vilify others, typically those of the gay community.

Quote:
You can choose to believe it's talking about temple prostitution if you want, but the point is that they were condemned not just for the ACTIONS, but for the lust, as well.
Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I DO choose to believe Romans 1:18-27 is talking about temple prostitution because, in all likelihood, IT IS!

Quote:
They were condemned for lusting after each other. Instead of reading into the text, go with what it actually says.
Yes, I imagine that 'lust' as in 'arousal' WOULD BE involved in order for temple prostitution to work effectively!

To the reader: WE don't know precisely WHAT Paul was addressing in Romans 1 for the simple reason that he (Paul) was NOT writing his letter to US. It would be assumed that the SPECIFIC recipients of Paul's letter WOULD have known what the contents of Paul's letter were addressing. WE are only privy to one side of the issues that were under discussion. However, we can attempt to piece together by reading between the lines that the 'theys' Paul refers to who 'were once believers in God' had 'turned to the dark side', so to speak, and had now deserted God and instead taken to the worship of Pagan idols.

SO, from the context of that particular passage of scripture it's not too much a stretch to conclude that Paul was referring to RELIGIOUS matters and NOT what may have been going on within the SECULAR community, matters that would have been of no concern to him. Paul's concerns as addressed in his letters are always related to specific CHURCHES and their membership. What 'Adam and Steve' from down the road' were up to would have had nothing to do with Paul. Temple prostitution was, apparently, rife during Paul's time and Paul WOULD NOT have missed the opportunity to voice his opinion on this 'abomination' and in turn condemn the practice ...hence Romans 1:18-27. Paul tells us that 'they' worshiped (HOW does one worship?) images in the likeness of mortal man, reptiles, birds and animals.

Just do the math.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
Peter, John and Paul all agreed with Jesus. “This is my blood. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many.“
Yes but no one understood He was speaking of God’s word. It is hidden in His words. The blood and the flesh are God’s word.

Old 09-17-2023, 10:19 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Well, for one thing, you could eliminate our ancestors' misguided belief in the need to sacrifice innocent blood to appease God for their sins! It was NEVER necessary. God loves us and always has. Secondly, God put forward the propitiation so it could NOT have been to propitiate HIM! He was propitiating our ancestors' ignorance and savagery (They knew not what they do!") to SHOW God's LOVE (NOT righteousness because what they did to Jesus was UNJUST!) and to display the forbearance (forgiveness) He has ALWAYS had for our sins (ignorance). THAT is how else it can be interpreted, BF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity