Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,028,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I am well aware that God is love. But God cannot compromise His Righteousness in order to save anyone based on love.
This is an astonishing statement, Mike. You don't know that it is because of God's great love that he saves us? That's what it's all about, my friend. There is no righteousness of God separate from his love. God's love is the highest virtue in the universe. It is his glory. There is nothing glorious about "un-lovingness". The devil is the one who hates. Jesus said Satan was a murderer from the beginning. To assign God the characteristics of Satan and to cling to that is, in my opinion, nothing short of blasphemy. Whether those locked into that can escape it in this life, I do not know - perhaps not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,416,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Excellently stated, Pleroo-whoo. Forgive me, but I am always tempted to play rhyming games with your user name.
As long as they're nice rhymes, I'm good with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
<snip>
God's love can save no one. <snip>
This has been addressed thoroughly by others here, but I can't help saying one more thing, because to me it is just so simple:

"God (A) is love (B)."

"...and my spirit rejoices in God (A) my Savior (C)..." (One of many passages where God is called our Savior.)

A = B = C. God is LOVE is our Savior.

Last edited by Pleroo; 01-17-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 AM

351 posts, read 355,727 times
Hi everyone Interesting posts One thing I think that is so divisive is that people don't understand the meanings of certain scripture. First the Bible is not scripture it is a translation of scripture. God is creating man in his image. The process is still on going. Certain people will judge themselves in this life and will cross the narrow bridge,(Christ elect) the rest of mankind will be judged after resurrection by Jesus and his elect who as I said crossed the narrow bridge.

The lake of fire is a parable not a literal lake of fire but it stands for God's cleansing fire. Most of mankind will die without repentance but in the spiritual lake of fire they will reap what they have sown and face their carnal nature. The judgments of God shall change their heart and they will they will experience a spiritual death(the second death) as their carnal nature is consumed and they will repent and become the image of their father.

Some are close and will require few stripes(Judgments) others will require many stripes (Judgments).

Remember God is not constrained by death. Why people think God can do nothing after a man dies is
something I don't understand. God is God, He can do all his pleasure. God wants all men to come to repentance and He is not willing that any will be lost, do you think God will not get His desires? Is mans stubborn will more powerful than God? I don't think so> All will be reconciled to God.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 AM

281 posts, read 306,888 times
[/quote]Now I will concede, it does say that Hades gave up its dead as well as the sea. No mention of Hell.[/quote]

Hell and Hades are the same place. The confusion of what Hell is comes in translation rather than in the Greek. Hell is sometimes used for Gehenom (the trash dump outside of Jerusalem), and it is also used to translate Hades (the place of the dead). Hell, while used incorrectly for the Lake of Fire, is the goddess of the underworld from an ancient religion from the British Isles and corresponds roughly to the Greek myth of Hades, referring to both the place of the dead and the god/goddess of that domain.

The use of Hell to refer to the place of eternal torment of the wicked is not entirely off base however, since Hell (aka Hades, death and the grave) will be cast into the Lake of Fire after the Final Judgment (Great White Throne) of Revelation 20. While it is technically incorrect, anyone having their place in Hades (Hell) will also have part of the Lake of Fire since their names will not be written in the Book of Life of the Lamb Slain. So, while technically incorrect to refer to the second death, life in the Lake of Fire, as Hell, the general use by most Christians is understandable. But any mature student of the Bible should never refer to them as the same.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM

342 posts, read 408,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschulz View Post
Hi everyone Interesting posts One thing I think that is so divisive is that people don't understand the meanings of certain scripture. First the Bible is not scripture it is a translation of scripture. God is creating man in his image. The process is still on going. Certain people will judge themselves in this life and will cross the narrow bridge,(Christ elect) the rest of mankind will be judged after resurrection by Jesus and his elect who as I said crossed the narrow bridge.

The lake of fire is a parable not a literal lake of fire but it stands for God's cleansing fire. Most of mankind will die without repentance but in the spiritual lake of fire they will reap what they have sown and face their carnal nature. The judgments of God shall change their heart and they will they will experience a spiritual death(the second death) as their carnal nature is consumed and they will repent and become the image of their father.

Some are close and will require few stripes(Judgments) others will require many stripes (Judgments).

Remember God is not constrained by death. Why people think God can do nothing after a man dies is
something I don't understand. God is God, He can do all his pleasure. God wants all men to come to repentance and He is not willing that any will be lost, do you think God will not get His desires? Is mans stubborn will more powerful than God? I don't think so> All will be reconciled to God.
Well in a word, WRONG!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,140,410 times
Quote:

Actually, this is an excellent summary sschulz. Some can not see it now though.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,467,182 times
is my flesh burned up as i writher in pain? because it doesnt take too long to die when you are literally burned. Or is God going to keep me from dying and keep my flesh from melting as i burn. this can only happen if it is literal.
forever and ever; they have no rest day and night, those who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”

what is forever and ever? that sounds like bad grammer to me. Then it says 'they have no rest day and night" i thought there was no day or night in heaven because there was no need of sun or moon. maybe that is later. After the second forever.

and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the [books, according to their deeds."

according to their deeds? that is what it says, but you say it is only those who accept Jesus. How does one do that? let me guess.... repeat a sinners prayer? if that is the case, i feel sorry for those who lived before the 1800's because the sinners prayer is a new thing man made.

"from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne"

where in the world did heaven and earth go? but then i see that there were people standing. how can this be if there is no heaven or earth?

see how silly this all is when you take everything you want (like the fire) literally but then just say the rest is not literal. It is all spiritual, there is no need for books to be open and pages turned to see who is in there. God already knows. It is spiritual.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,056,930 times
OCA - The Orthodox Faith - Volume IV - Spirituality - The Kingdom of Heaven - Heaven and Hell

The final coming of Christ will be the judgment of all men. His very presence will be the judgment

For those who love the Lord, His Presence will be infinite joy, paradise and eternal life. For those who hate the Lord, the same Presence will be infinite torture, hell and eternal death. The reality for both the saved and the damned will be exactly the same

According to the saints, the “fire” that will consume sinners at the coming of the Kingdom of God is the same “fire” that will shine with splendor in the saints. It is the “fire” of God’s love; the “fire” of God Himself who is Love. “For our God is a consuming fire” (Hebrews 12:29) who “dwells in unapproachable light.” (I Timothy 6:16) For those who love God and who love all creation in Him, the “consuming fire” of God will be radiant bliss and unspeakable delight. For those who do not love God, and who do not love at all, this same 66consuming fire” will be the cause of their “weeping” and their “gnashing of teeth.”

Old 01-17-2013, 09:11 AM

987 posts, read 1,120,550 times
Quote:

What a wonderful, awesome, fantastic Father we have!!! Sometimes life seems so short, so sad for some. It is a joy to know that this life is not the life Father has planned for eternity. I fall on my face that He opened my eyes during this mortal sphere, that He showed me the hope of His riches of glory now so that I can know that even when my life here seems to fall far short of those who enjoy material blessings that a far far more wonderful existence lies beyond this temporary vail. It is only by grace that my eyes and heart were opened to the true mercies of our creator and Father and I rejoice that we will all know His love from Moses and David and Peter and Paul down to Pharaoh and Nebudchadnezzar and Judas and Hitler. I know not how severe their judgments will be but they will be exactly what will be necessary to open their eyes to the vileness of their greed or fear or lusts, just as whatever flaws I have will be removed from me as far as the west is from the east. He is a righteous judge and will do what is right. Whatever judgment He pronounces on any of us in THAT DAY will certainly be carried out and after that no one will dare accuse anyone of anything anymore.

I pray that everyone who the Spirit touches turns to God in this life. How glorious it is when people give glory to Him and praise Him for His wonders, His glory, His mercy, yes, even His judgments for God knows exactly what He is doing, what is necessary for the development of His kingdom among men. Let your love fall upon all of us this day, oh Lord. May your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give me patience to wait for your timing in ALL things my Father.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:33 AM

33,331 posts, read 26,536,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Your post here ^^^ makes God limited by certain metaphysical rules, as if He were helpless to do whatever He chooses. "God cannot compromise.." and "God's love cannot save.." and "man must accept Christ.." and "sin set up a conflict.." These are all man's doctrines and limited understanding of God. But the Bible tells us plainly that "with God, nothing is impossible." God is not "obliged" to punish anyone, or torment anyone, or make this or that a requirement. God is not bound by ANYTHING.

Blessings,
brian
God is limited only in that He cannot do anything which contradicts who and what He is. God is truth and therefore cannot lie. God is immutable and therefore cannot change. God is eternal life and therefore cannot die. That is one reason why the Second Person of the Trinity became a man. God absolutely cannot compromise His holiness. If He could and did, then He would not be perfect. God is perfect and cannot be less than perfect.

And if God's love could save, He never would have had to condemn Adam when he sinned. Salvation though motivated by God's love was actually accomplished by God's justice. That same justice however is required to leave under condemnation anyone who does not come to Christ for salvation.

It is Universalism which is a doctrine of man. The Bible does not teach it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity