Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I believe the 1000 year reign is....
a literal 1000 year period of time to come. 44 68.75%
a literal 1000 year period of time which has already started. 2 3.13%
the spiritual reign of Christ with believers in the new dispensation in which we live. 8 12.50%
I'm not sure. 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:36 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,008 times

Advertisements

for those of you who believe that anything to do with the jews, especially prophecy, was all fulfilled in the old testament, and that their time is long gone - please read romans chapter 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 12:39 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
for those of you who believe that anything to do with the jews, especially prophecy, was all fulfilled in the old testament, and that their time is long gone - please read romans chapter 11.
It wasn't all fulfilled in the old testament.. most of it was fulfilled when Christ came and started the "new dispensation". Most of the Jews just didn't recognize it.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Romans 11:1 ¶ I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.2 God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,3 Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded

Paul is saying that God has not cast away His people..Verse 7 says tho that "Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for" Because of the hardness of their hearts, many did not recognize the Messiah.. only a few obtained it. He goes on to say in the chapter that we do not need to glory in this, as those that received the Gospel.. for we are only a branch of the root.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:30 PM

436 posts, read 1,174,008 times
Just a word of caution - if you do not know, then you do not know, and that is okay. It is wrong and very unwise to rely, accept and use another man interpretations and understanding of scripture without knowing the truth for yourself. I would stress this even more when it comes to endtime prophecy, because to even have a little understanding of what is happening in it a lot of work must go into digging his Word, laying ones self at his alter and recieving from Him. Remember - you can never understand the end of the story without knowing it from the begining. All details, from the begining leading to the end are important. In other words one or two or three verses are not enough for us to put our heads on the block when it comes to this subject. If we are ever to learn we must learn to not push our opinions, views and church doctrine, but rather stand for the truth. Sacrifice your views, put them on His altar, and be like a child to Him. Let all views be tested on His altar and if they are in line with the truth they shall stand.I am saying all this guys because i care. I had done a two year inductive study on subject a few years back, and i never even got to the interpretation of the details. why? because a life time worth of work is put into the other 65 books of the bible in order to have a detailed understanding of the subject.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Just a word of caution - if you do not know, then you do not know, and that is okay. It is wrong and very unwise to rely, accept and use another man interpretations and understanding of scripture without knowing the truth for yourself. I would stress this even more when it comes to endtime prophecy, because to even have a little understanding of what is happening in it a lot of work must go into digging his Word, laying ones self at his alter and recieving from Him. Remember - you can never understand the end of the story without knowing it from the begining. All details, from the begining leading to the end are important. In other words one or two or three verses are not enough for us to put our heads on the block when it comes to this subject. If we are ever to learn we must learn to not push our opinions, views and church doctrine, but rather stand for the truth. Sacrifice your views, put them on His altar, and be like a child to Him. Let all views be tested on His altar and if they are in line with the truth they shall stand.I am saying all this guys because i care. I had done a two year inductive study on subject a few years back, and i never even got to the interpretation of the details. why? because a life time worth of work is put into the other 65 books of the bible in order to have a detailed understanding of the subject.
Exactly! Right on.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:14 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I believe this angel is Jesus, who came down to save us from the curse of sin. His gift of salvation “stomped on Satan’s head” and overthrew the monopoly Satan had over our souls.. if Christ had not come, Satan would have “free reign”, with no hope for our souls.

Many prophecies, especially in Isaiah, in the Old Testament point to the coming of the Messiah as a time of blessing and peace for all nations! Isaiah 61:1 ¶ The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; Is this not the time we are living in? The authority of Satan was bound..”Deceive the nations no more” Now the gospel is for everyone..everyone has a chance. People still disregard the call, and become deceived… but God will hold them accountable for this. There is a way for everyone, and Satan no longer has the monopoly.

The church has authority over sin. We are to have authority over sin also; “Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal bodies.” 1 John 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? We as Christians are to reign and overcome.. with God’s help! Not on our own strength. In this sense we are reigning with Him. The martyrs and true believers of the past are part of this reign. The “first resurrection” is the being made spiritually alive through accepting Jesus sacrifice.. being “born again”. If we take part in this first resurrection, the “second death” (being eternally lost) will have no power over us. Verse 5 refers to those who are spiritually dead by not accepting the first resurrection. After the thousand years are finished (when Christ returns) all will live again and be judged. If we look at the world around us, it appears that Satan is being loosed. There is an anti-Christian undercurrent that is gaining strength.. “False teaching” is rampant in churches today, and sin is not being judged, not being called sin. “It’s all okay..” Society, as was mentioned in another thread, is becoming “hostile to biblical law”. “Men’s hearts are failing them for fear.” There is much unrest, turmoil, stress and insecurity. Matthew 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened. I believe that Jesus is referring to this time.. It will become very difficult to live a true Christian life.. with all the deception around already, many are losing the way. Matthew 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. 24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. 25 Behold, I have told you before. 26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. 27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Isn’t this happening today? Evangelists doing “great signs and wonders”, yet where is the “real thing?” Promoting sin, saying “God loves everybody, you’ll be okay.” Deceptive thinking that has a way of affecting all of us.

Quote:
As I mentioned, the world is growing more hostile to a self-denied, “bible-thumping” Christian. Even “Christians” are hostile to those who truly believe. Truly, the “camp of the saints” is being compassed about. But Christ will return, before “the very elect will be deceived”, and will judge the world and it’s wickedness.

I believe that all that is left as far as prophecy is Christ’s return to judge the world, and our subsequent eternal reward. We do not know how much time we have left, but it will undoubtedly get a lot worse. Our pastor this Sunday talked about this.. How committed am I? Am I prepared for the future spiritual battles?

Quote:
“Men’s hearts are failing them for fear.” There is much unrest, turmoil, stress and insecurity.[/color][/font]

He's pleading here for a reason
Chapter 4
Quote:
THE APOSTLE SOLEMNLY CHARGES TIMOTHY TO BE DILIGENT, THOUGH MANY WILL NOT BEAR SOUND DOCTRINE. 4:1-5
People will turn away from the truth, they will grow weary of the plain gospel of Christ, they will be greedy of fables, and take pleasure in them. People do so when they will not endure that preaching which is searching, plain, and to the purpose. Those who love souls must be ever watchful, must venture and bear all the painful effects of their faithfulness, and take all opportunities of making known the pure gospel.
—Matthew Henry Concise

This has been weighing heavily in my spirit for awhile now; but ever increasing each day in intensity.
I'm afraid that a lot of Christians have been and are being seduced, by comfort and ease. When men don't want to give up their comfort for sound doctrine; henceforth are called "bible thumpers"; because the adversary's subtleness and craftiness, seducing those who will be carried away by every wind and doctrine

[b][i][quote][/font] If we look at the world around us, it appears that Satan is being loosed. There is an anti-Christian undercurrent that is gaining strength.. “False teaching” is rampant in churches today, and sin is not being judged, not being called sin. “It’s all okay..” Society, as was mentioned in another thread, is becoming “hostile to biblical law”.
Quote:
“Men’s hearts are failing them for fear.” There is much unrest, turmoil, stress and insecurity.

When have you ever heard of so many people stressed out to the max? young and old alike", How many instances have we seen on the media via teleision commercials promoting sleep meds at an alarming rate. Illegal Drugs being abused more than ever before, because people can't deal with this sober."!!
I agree with 110%!! if there were such a number; But I will say this I am just beginning to start to delve into this study of the millenial reign also; i don't have any input to offer right now, but i can certainly tell you what i see with my spiritual eyes and physical. Something's about to "jump off" (slang), the adversary and his allies are getting ready to kick it up a notch", while we're arguing and devouring over who's Christianity is the right one". A kingdom divided cannot stand. We're close to "show down time" IMO.
Yes and even the very elect will be deceived

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 10-31-2007 at 12:19 PM.. Reason: cg81 sorry i messed up the quotes so badly I can't even correct them

Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
All I can say that "must be a major coincidence that the prophets spoke of each of these things that are happening in fine detail; giving no room for error"? I think not .

Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
All I can say that "must be a major coincidence that the prophets spoke of each of these things that are happening in fine detail; giving no room for error"? I think not .
Exactly. One thing I think we can all agree on is that we are definitely living in the last days!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:35 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Quote:
First of all, wishing everybody a wonderful day!

I did some studying on Revelation 20 this weekend, and was curious which interpretation was more prevalent among Christians here on CD.

What is your interpretation? What is the basis for your belief?

I believe that it is a spiritual reign.. we are living and reigning with Christ now.

Now before we start hurling insults about deception and inform others that if they believe differently on this subject then we do that they are not saved, let's stop right here. I do believe that a literal 1000 year reign to come is an erroneous teaching; however not necessarily tied to our salvation. I believe that the spiritual reign of Christ ties in very closely with the rest of the Bible.

What do you believe?
Well I don't think I have given this subject much thought. HMM I find your perspective interesting. I will have to study and pray before I decide exactly where I stand. I must say though I was surely leaning toward an up and coming literal thousand year reign.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:39 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Quote:
Exactly. One thing I think we can all agree on is that we are definitely living in the last days!
Oh, I hope Jesus comes before next summer. I don't think I can stand another presidential election season.

He can't come back before the end of Battlestar Galactica, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity