Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,438,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
No.
You are not a Christian?

Quote:
I'm wondering if I should be worried or not. Some say I should, some say I shouldn't. I want assurance from you, as a person who says I shouldn't, that I won't end up in hell eternally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 AM

231 posts, read 328,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You are not a Christian?
Are we going in circles? What does my particular belief have to do with anything? I just want to know, whatever my belief or lack thereof, if I'll end up in a good place. This was covered way back in post #155. https://www.city-data.com/forum/29404110-post155.html

Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,342,541 times
Quote:
The object of your belief is means of your salvation. To believe the truth is to be saved, to believe a lie is to be damned. In this case, Christ is the object, not a particular eschatology.

Let's take my example. https://www.city-data.com/forum/29441368-post240.html

Must I believe in a life preserver in order to believe that I won't drown?
Why your accussations then against universalists? Calvinism or Catholicism could be likewise dangerous.

With your question you imply, that someone might believe in Christian universalism, without believing in Christ, right? That doesn't make too much sense, but I understand your sentiment to a certain degree that those who are interested in the Christian faith lose their interest then and think, if all are going to saved, why bother anyway, but I think that these people would be people who would believe only in order to escape hell it were true, if you can this call "belief" at all. Do you get my point?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
Why your accussations then against universalists? Calvinism or Catholicism could be likewise dangerous.

With your question you imply, that someone might believe in Christian universalism, without believing in Christ, right? That doesn't make too much sense, but I understand your sentiment to a certain degree that those who are interested in the Christian faith lose their interest then and think, if all are going to saved, why bother anyway, but I think that these people would be people who would believe only in order to escape hell it were true, if you can this call "belief" at all. Do you get my point?
From my understanding, the gospel proclaims who God is, the problem of human sin, a remedy, and a summons to repent and believe. People hear the problem of their human sin and seek a remedy. "What must we do?" If in the end there was no problem, why seek a remedy?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,528,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Its not intellectually dishonest when we are talking about eternal and timeless/multidimensional things we don't understand AND there are multiple historical, scriptural, and logical reasons to believe the punishments/corrections of the goats do not last forever or to at least make room for reasonable doubt. How about making room for the "Ultimately, I don't know what will happen to the Goats at the end of the ages" position?

There is still far too much Pharisaic arrogance in today's Church when it comes to the endtimes and this constant condemnation of URs to hell is just ridiculous. Even Saint Augustine, who gave you that Matthew 25:46 argument, didn't think the URs of his day were hell bound. He merely said that they were "in error" and I think he even called them "brethren" if I remember the quote correctly. The day Twinspin admits that MAYBE URs aren't kitchen appliances of the Devil guaranteed for hell will be a happy day of rejoicing for me and probably many here.
Since Galations 1:6-9 is the truth, those proclaiming false gospels are under God's curse.

Since Matthew 25:31-46 is the truth, those who are cursed are sent to hell.

No doubt, with enough effort, a person will be able not to connect the two.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Are we going in circles? What does my particular belief have to do with anything? I just want to know, whatever my belief or lack thereof, if I'll end up in a good place.
Your particular belief has everything to do with it because you're the one who said you are worried you'll end up in hell if you believe Christian Universalism. Why are you worried about that?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Your particular belief has everything to do with it because you're the one who said you are worried you'll end up in hell if you believe Christian Universalism. Why are you worried about that?
*my particular religion.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post

Exactly!

Last edited by Pleroo; 05-09-2013 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
*my particular religion.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Holy crap people. Hypothetically, I'm an atheist. I've heard there is something to flee from (the wrath of God) and unto (Jesus Christ). You're saying I have nothing to worry about. I, therefore, continue in my atheist ways. If you're wrong, I end up in hell eternally.

If you are so sure that I won't end up in hell, why not give me a guarantee? If not, I assume you're unsure about the whole thing. This is not that complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity