Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
[b]...it is therefore an error to state that the rapture is an invented concept that only dates back 150 years.

AskThePriest.org: The Rapture

Rapture Doctrine invented by John Darby in 1830 AD

The Rapture - Brief History and Speculation About the Rapture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
My church has been doing a series of Sunday School lessons on the end times or eschatology. What ever view you hold, it's nothing to be divided over or even debate. It's just that I am curious about anyone's reasoning behind the view that you have because I never really studied eschatology enough to know where I stood.

But after finding out that there are 4 basic views, and carefully studying those 4 views, I have come to the conclusion that I hold to the traditional church's position that has been held for about 150 years. Jesus will return to rapture his church or believers as well as ressurrect those believers who are dead; the Great Tribulation happens, then after the Great Tribulation, the church returns with Jesus as He sets up his 1000 year or millennium kingdom on earth, and finally the great white throne judgment happens for those who rejected Him and those who have rejected Him are casted into the Lake of fire. Then we who are believers will be in the new heaven and earth with God and Jesus forever. So I hold the pre-tribulation/premillennialist view.

Scriptures teachs #4 (Amillennialism). Historically, millennialism has always been held as hersay and as such is categorically rejected.
  • The Augsburg Confession alludes to the origin of this error
  • Luther held the position that Millennialism is a heresy (sermon preached in 1539)
  • John Calvin wrote that the doctrine of the millenarians is a "fiction too puerile to require or deserve refutation"
The reasons are obvious:
  • The Bible has the singular ... "Day of the Lord"
  • 1 Thessalonians 4 tells us that believers will rise to meet Christ in the air, not prior to, but on the last day
  • Matthew 24:30, all the nations of the earth “will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory.” On that day, according to Revelation 1:7, “every eye will see him.”
As a theologian some time ago wrote:
Millennialism is to outright deny the church's hope of Christ's only return to judgement and those who " transport it into the stratosphere of their own esoteric speculations" belong to the scoffers who, Peter warned, would come, "scoffing and following their own evil desires" (2 Peter 3:3).

Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 PM

33,280 posts, read 26,477,412 times
What did I just get through showing you from the Bible? The apostle Paul spoke of the event we call the rapture and therefore it is not an invented concept from 150 years ago.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Eschatology--Which view do you hold?

None, they are man-made doctrines.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:53 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
I came from the Father and entered the world; now I will leave the world and go back to the Father

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you

Old 05-04-2013, 03:39 PM

58 posts, read 77,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I didn't notice until after I submitted my own post, but we both said the same thing. You beat me to it.
But you said it much better than I.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:57 PM

We will be "caught up" to a higher place; even while we yet live.

Meeting the Lord in the literal clouds of heaven is not what it means!
There is no fear here, except humanities fear and the atmosphere.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 PM

58 posts, read 77,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
We will be "caught up" to a higher place; even while we yet live.

Meeting the Lord in the literal clouds of heaven is not what it means!
There is no fear here, except humanities fear and the atmosphere.
Why would you see "fear" in such a wonderful promise? We are talking about our coming into the presence of Christ our King to forever be and you want to talk about "fear"? You seem to be in such a dark place when we are basking in the Sonlight of Jesus Christ. Do you not look forward to being with Him?

Old 05-04-2013, 04:49 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,933,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Eschatology--Which view do you hold?

None, they are man-made doctrines.

I'm with Jerwade.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Jones View Post
Why would you see "fear" in such a wonderful promise? We are talking about our coming into the presence of Christ our King to forever be and you want to talk about "fear"? You seem to be in such a dark place when we are basking in the Son light of Jesus Christ. Do you not look forward to being with Him?
Why are you waiting for a sign?
Only protesters carry them.

"The Spirit of Christ dwells within; reach for it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity