Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:08 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It is part op the sanctification process. You do believe in sanctification? "But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord, because God chose you as firstfruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth."2thess 2:13
Yes, I believe in sanctification, but it's not a process. We are sanctified. See Heb 10:10 and 1 Cor 1:30.

Again, there is no scripture that says the Holy Spirit convicts believers of sin. How can you be convicted of something that isn't imputed to you? (Rom 4:8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yes, I believe in sanctification, but it's not a process. We are sanctified. See Heb 10:10 and 1 Cor 1:30.

Again, there is no scripture that says the Holy Spirit convicts believers of sin. How can you be convicted of something that isn't imputed to you? (Rom 4:8)
I think I see the problem: the use of the word "convict" which in this case merely means "convince." Does it make a difference to your understanding if I say the Spirit convinces us when we have sinned?

Old 08-08-2013, 12:37 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times
The weight of condemnation Christians must be under as got be astronomical.if you fail get back up, if you miss the mark, shoot again. If you only understood that your Heavenly Father is patient with you, that he knows you live in an earthly tabernacle that wars against everything God decrees you are, that how he desires you to be towards others, is no different to how he is towards you. Hope this lightens the burden so you can walk in peace with God and lightness of spirit.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I think I see the problem: the use of the word "convict" which in this case merely means "convince." Does it make a difference to your understanding if I say the Spirit convinces us when we have sinned?
My understanding is fine. The Holy Spirit doesn't have anything to do with sin and the believer. Not convicting, convincing, condemning, etc. No place. Nothing. He convicts the unbeliever of sin because they don't believe in Jesus. To say He does so is to misquote John 16.

Again, how can he convict the believer of sin if it isn't imputed to us anymore? Heb 1 says jesus purged our sins.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The weight of condemnation Christians must be under as got be astronomical.if you fail get back up, if you miss the mark, shoot again.
This is so true because you have people thinking the Holy Spirit is waiting to jump on you every time you miss it. That's not who He is and what He does.

Condemnation kills. The Spirit gives life.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:

Condemnation kills. The Spirit gives life.
I, at least, was not talking about condemnation. I was talking about bringing it to our attention that we have goofed, so that we can grow in the knowledge and imitation of Christ. Saying that I blew it is not condemnation while I live in and demonstrate God's love, it is education.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
I, at least, was not talking about condemnation. I was talking about bringing it to our attention that we have goofed, so that we can grow in the knowledge and imitation of Christ. Saying that I blew it is not condemnation while I live in and demonstrate God's love, it is education.
I didn't mean to say you were talking about condemnation. However, wouldn't being reminded of your sin all the time be condemning?

I blow it all the time, but thank the Lord it took it all away. No matter our differences in beliefs, I think we can both agree that we are grateful Jesus saved us.

Sometimes I think all these "discussions" about doctrinal differences are a waste of time. Once we get to heaven I don't think there will be a baptist section, pentecostal section, etc.

One body.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
I didn't mean to say you were talking about condemnation. However, wouldn't being reminded of your sin all the time be condemning?
I blow it all the time, but thank the Lord it took it all away. No matter our differences in beliefs, I think we can both agree that we are grateful Jesus saved us.
Well, I'd venture to say that if it is "all the time" something needs to be addressed. if it isfairly often,you could say that your opportunities for improvement are great. Any failure on our part is not a basis for self flagellation, but a means to gain understanding nd growth.
Quote:
Sometimes I think all these "discussions" about doctrinal differences are a waste of time. Once we get to heaven I don't think there will be a baptist section, pentecostal section, etc.

One body.

Hopefully, aslong as we retain an open mind we can learn from others, andgrow in Christ by that. When we defend "our" positions regardless of evidenceto the contrary, we are not going to learn anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity