Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 07:50 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,134,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The Bible teaches very clearly that no one can live a perfect life without sin. Even if they could, they are still guilty for past sins which still makes them guilty before God and in need of forgiveness, which is only available through faith in Christ who alone paid for all mankind's sins.

Ro 3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Ro 3:20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin

1Jn 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Even after conversion, we will struggle with sin.
Ro 7:19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.
Ro 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?
I brought up Rom &, but there still convinced they can keep the Torah and not sin. I also reminded them we are accountable for keeping the command in the NT also that Jesus gave.

Seems like great arrogance to me to think you can actually not sin at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,028,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just do your best to set your mind on the things of the Spirit today. Don't be concerned with being perfect the rest of your Christian life.
I would say your mind on being perfect. Jesus preached perfection and wanted us to set out minds on it.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I don't think Christ is in me... I know He is. To suggest "I think" is to bring into question my faith. That sir/ma'am... is not your job.

Is Christ faithful? of course he is, and my spirit prevails but my flesh remains trapped in a sinful world. That part of me, just like every other human upon this planet, is subject to sin and the temptation the world presents. We all stumble in many ways.

James 3:1-9
Ok, but that means the you still exist in you. If He is in you, then YOU should be being replaced by HIM. So it is understood that your imperfect and that YOU are a sinner, BUT HE is not. Therefore, the more you put HIM on then the more you die daily.

The scriptures make it clear that if we have Christ we overcome our sins. Having Christ means overcoming our sins and our flesh - not as some preach as overlooking our sins.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The Bible teaches very clearly that no one can live a perfect life without sin. Even if they could, they are still guilty for past sins which still makes them guilty before God and in need of forgiveness, which is only available through faith in Christ who alone paid for all mankind's sins.

Ro 3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Ro 3:20 Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin

1Jn 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Even after conversion, we will struggle with sin.
Ro 7:19 For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing.
Ro 7:24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?
That is not true at all. Your first sentence is error. The scriptures teach that we can live without sin and be perfect.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
That is not true at all. Your first sentence is error. The scriptures teach that we can live without sin and be perfect.
When i looked up perfect, it meant complete, so we are to be complete in Christ. I dont think anyone after they get saved and go the rest of their life without committing a sin, even if they try 100%, they will slip up as they are human and bound to mistakes.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I had a long debate with some Messianics that claim Christianity falsely teaches that we cant live sin free and the bible say we are delivered from sin, so we can live a life without committing sin. They claim they can live a life free of sin because they dont break the Torah and even claimed they will and can go the rest of 2013 without committing one single sin.
You are seeing the difference between two very fundamentally different views of what "sin" is. Some Messianics (not all, by any means) have the same definition of sin as Jews do: To break a specific law of the Torah is sin.

Christians often teach an error: That it was impossible to keep the Torah. That's not true, it was certainly possible to keep the whole Torah...at least the letter of the Law. God even said His Law was not difficult to keep.

Remember when the young wealthy ruler confronted Jesus and claimed to keep the Law? Jesus did not dispute him. Nor did Jesus dispute that the Pharisees kept the Law. He introduced, however, an entirely new aspect. To the young ruler, He said, "You have to follow me."

What does "follow me" mean? Did you ever see the visual joke in the movie "Young Frankenstein" where Igor says to the guy, "Walk this way" and then limps away. The guy assumes "walk this way" means not only walk in that direction, but also walk with the same limp as Igor, and begins limping himself.

That's what "follow me" means. Not only to walk in the direction of Jesus, but also to walk like Jesus. That's what "carry your cross" means, to emulate Jesus. That's what it meant to be a disciple--it meant to do things just as the teacher did them, to follow his style of life, to live by his tenets.

In Christian thought, the command is to emulate Jesus. To any extent that we do not perfectly emulate Jesus, we have failed to keep His command...and we sin.

Jesus gives us part of that difference in the Sermon on the Mount, as He says over and over, "You have heard it said, but I say.... " Right there is our part of the Covenant of Christ, a new covenant demanding a higher level of performance by both parties. Christ calls us to surpass the righteousness of the Pharisees.

Christians often ask, "Is it a sin to...?"

That's the wrong question. That is asking for a law, but that will always result in falling short. Looking for a law is like the one-talent steward who sought only not to do the wrong thing. He tried so hard not to do the wrong thing that he failed to do what was required. That's what we're doing when we ask, "Is it a sin....?"

"Everything is permissible to me, but not everything is beneficial."

"Everything is permissible to me" is essentially a declaration of liberty from the Law. It means "I'm not looking for 'thou shalt not.'"

But "not everything is beneficial" means I'm looking for what is profitable to the Lord. That's a whole magnitude of difference.

"Is it a sin to get a tattoo?" Wrong question.

The correct question is, "Will it profit the Lord for me to get a tattoo?"

"Is it a sin for me to be wealthy?" Wrong question.

The correct question is, "Does my wealth profit the Lord?"

This does not mean there are no "rules." Broadly speaking, we can identify things that almost certainly never profit the Lord and in fact costs the Lord. Abusing one's wife, for instance, never profits the Lord, it costs the Lord. People who do evil in the name of the Lord are a cost to the Lord. We can define many of those things. But that is not "law" in the biblical sense, nor is it "work" in the biblical sense to emulate Jesus.

Many Christians erroneously (or at least incompletely) define "legalism." Legalism is what Jews live by. It specifically means that if you practice specific procedures, then God is obligated to save you, the way an employer is obligated to pay wages to a worker. Legalism is the belief that by doing certain things, you obligate God to pay you salvation.

This is the big thing Paul presents in Romans, and why he plays on the terms "wages" and "gift." People who believe in legalism belive that God owes them salvation like a wage. The Jews believed that God owed them salvation, and moreover, that God was not permitted to save anyone who had not done the work they had done.

Paul said basically, that all your work in keeping the Law is worth only death, if you get what God owes you You'd better be hoping for what you are not owed--the gift of salvation. We don't want justice, we want mercy.

So to live a life in emulation of Jesus and in profitability to Jesus is not "legalism" because it's not done with a belief that it obligates Jesus to us. We don't emulate Jesus to obligate Him to bring us into His camp, we emulate Jesus because we are already in His camp.

This is the mistake made by those Jesus of whom Jesus said, "I never knew you!" What was their belief? "We did things in your name!" They thought that because they did things, Jesus was obligated to them. Wrong. Jesus is not obligated to them, they were obligated to Him.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:02 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
I had a long debate with some Messianics that claim Christianity falsely teaches that we cant live sin free and the bible say we are delivered from sin, so we can live a life without committing sin. They claim they can live a life free of sin because they dont break the Torah and even claimed they will and can go the rest of 2013 without committing one single sin.

I believe we can strive with our best effort to live a lifestyle free from sin, but not actually go the rest of your life without committing a sin, as we are human beings bound and prone to mistakes. I even gave an example of how someone did something very ignorant on the road and I gave them the bird and words towards the driver that i should not have used and was told that wasnt a sin, but a mistake. So according to that logic, cursing in not a sin, breaking the laws of the land by going 25mph over the speed limit isnt a sin, or downloading free music & movies off shareware sites which falls under copyright infringement are not sins either, considering they have been guilty of 2 or 3 of what I listed.

So do you believe you can actually live completely sin free and not commit one sin after you are saved since we have been delivered from sin??
The apostle Paul himself said he was the chief of sinners. He talked about how he did the things he didn't want to do. If he couldn't figure out how to live sin-free, I'm not going to suggest I'm any better.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The apostle Paul himself said he was the chief of sinners. He talked about how he did the things he didn't want to do. If he couldn't figure out how to live sin-free, I'm not going to suggest I'm any better.
I agree here. The desire is there because I want to please the Lord. I truly do. But no matter what I do, I fall from grace. This is what ALL Christians go through, no matter what we may openly profess to others.

The Bible is very clear that we have all fallen from grace and will inevitably sin.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post
I agree here. The desire is there because I want to please the Lord. I truly do. But no matter what I do, I fall from grace. This is what ALL Christians go through, no matter what we may openly profess to others.

The Bible is very clear that we have all fallen from grace and will inevitably sin.
I completely agree. I told them tat and they still believe they can live free of sin. Bible also say if you want to live by the law you will be judged by it as well.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:28 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,183,566 times
Quote:
I completely agree. I told them tat and they still believe they can live free of sin. Bible also say if you want to live by the law you will be judged by it as well.
The joke goes that if you meet someone like that, punch them in the nose. They'll sin pretty quickly then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity