Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:25 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,998,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Remember Apollo 13. When they were headed back to earth the angle they had to aim for was so tiny. If they had missed that tiny little angle they would have missed the earth and travelled on in space forever. Well, God's love is just like that tiny angle, Within the angle lies love, acceptance, forgiveness and power. Outside the angle lies nothing but wrath and judgement. Inside the angle we are safe and are heading for our eternal home but outside of it we are headed for destruction.

The love and acceptance of God the forgiveness of our sin and all of our hopes for tomorrow lay in Jesus Christ alone. He is "The narrow way" that leads to life. Do not be deceived by the lies of the enemy. "You surely will not die but will be like God knowing good from evil". The lie Satan told to Adam and Eve in the garden he still tells to people today.

But we believe you will die, that all humans will really die. I'm willing to bet that you don't believe a person fully dies when they die; that they live on in another form of existence. So who is believing the serpent here?

The narrow way is the law. That was the topic Jesus was on when He spoke of the narrow and broad way. The evangel for today is a very broad way, a broad way of grace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,598,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
But we believe you will die, that all humans will really die. I'm willing to bet that you don't believe a person fully dies when they die; that they live on in another form of existence. So who is believing the serpent here?

The narrow way is the law. That was the topic Jesus was on when He spoke of the narrow and broad way. The evangel for today is a very broad way, a broad way of grace.
The "General grace of God" is broad. If it were not we would have destroyed each other long ago. "The particular grace of God" is very narrow. That is the grace that is reserved for "His children" alone. Those He chose, "before the foundation of the world" to be the objects of this particular grace.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:18 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
The "General grace of God" is broad. If it were not we would have destroyed each other long ago. "The particular grace of God" is very narrow. That is the grace that is reserved for "His children" alone. Those He chose, "before the foundation of the world" to be the objects of this particular grace.
If I have any mission in life it is to present God as being the polar opposite to our preconceived ideas of him, as very much portrayed throughout scripture, especially in the OT and by Christians who announce God in this way.

Maybe my tongue be the pen of a ready writer and my feet always be lovely, bringing a word in season to all who have been ruined by this life of vanity and god of appeasement.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If I have any mission in life it is to present God as being the polar opposite to our preconceived ideas of him, as very much portrayed throughout scripture, especially in the OT and by Christians who announce God in this way.

Maybe my tongue be the pen of a ready writer and my feet always be lovely, bringing a word in season to all who have been ruined by this life of vanity and god of appeasement.
You know, if I had my way then maybe I'd invent a god that is different than the Almighty God who tells us clearly in his word who he is. It's you who have the preconceived ideas of who God is. You make a god to conform to your ideas of who and what a god should be to conform to your pleasure.

You know, Jesus said that not one jot or tittle of the OT {the law and the prophets} would ever pass away. It's the Word of God, like it or not.

Have you ever heard of the concept of "Propitiation". It's a concept taught in the old and the new Testaments. Without this "superlative appeasement" the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ makes no sense whatsoever.

The god that you invent for yourself is nothing but an idol. This false idea of God appeases your human vanity and pride. This make-believe god offends no one. The bible clearly tells us that the entire gospel is an "Offence to the natural man". It goes on to tell us that man is at enmity with God. In other words, the unsaved are at war with their creator, they hate him and reject him because of "Who He IS". No one has ever been ruined by the entire word of God. Rather it is the "Power of God unto salvation".
Praise his name that his word brings light and life to an evil and fallen world.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
You know, if I had my way then maybe I'd invent a god that is different than the Almighty God who tells us clearly in his word who he is. It's you who have the preconceived ideas of who God is. You make a god to conform to your ideas of who and what a god should be to conform to your pleasure.

You know, Jesus said that not one jot or tittle of the OT {the law and the prophets} would ever pass away. It's the Word of God, like it or not.

Have you ever heard of the concept of "Propitiation". It's a concept taught in the old and the new Testaments. Without this "superlative appeasement" the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ makes no sense whatsoever.

The god that you invent for yourself is nothing but an idol. This false idea of God appeases your human vanity and pride. This make-believe god offends no one. The bible clearly tells us that the entire gospel is an "Offence to the natural man". It goes on to tell us that man is at enmity with God. In other words, the unsaved are at war with their creator, they hate him and reject him because of "Who He IS". No one has ever been ruined by the entire word of God. Rather it is the "Power of God unto salvation".
Praise his name that his word brings light and life to an evil and fallen world.
Did you know the law is based upon all that God is in nature and character, it wasn't presented to the children of Israel as a test, but as a way of life if only they contemplated on it and understood the essence of it,(which their own consciences would have bore witness to the truth of it) but they could never have done that with their preconceived ideas of a god that struck fear into the heart of them. In fact scripture teaches that he will put the laws within our hearts and minds, into a heart flesh that see"s and understands God for who He is rather than from a hardened heart that pictures him as the god of wrath and appeasement. None of the children of Israel complained that the law was anything other than good too. For as scripture says the law is good. Am i saying keep the law ? not at all. read on

When Jesus said learn of me for my yoke is easy and burden is Light, in essence he was showing to the fulfilling of the law the by his teachings(read the beatitudes) not to earn our way to God by performance, but to live out and experience, the life he intended for all of us to enjoy.

So it is not in keeping the law, but the spirit of it keeping us when we walk by faith in the love of God, no earning salvation is necessary and no appeasement necessary.

ps God does not get offended, so i give you one guess who is.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Did you know the law is based upon all that God is in nature and character, it wasn't presented to the children of Israel as a test, but as a way of life if only they contemplated on it and understood the essence of it,(which their own consciences would have bore witness to the truth of it) but they could never have done that with their preconceived ideas of a god that struck fear into the heart of them. In fact scripture teaches that he will put the laws within our hearts and minds, into a heart flesh that see"s and understands God for who He is rather than from a hardened heart that pictures him as the god of wrath and appeasement. None of the children of Israel complained that the law was anything other than good too. For as scripture says the law is good. Am i saying keep the law ? not at all. read on

When Jesus said learn of me for my yoke is easy and burden is Light, in essence he was showing to the fulfilling of the law the by his teachings(read the beatitudes) not to earn our way to God by performance, but to live out and experience, the life he intended for all of us to enjoy.

So it is not in keeping the law, but the spirit of it keeping us when we walk by faith in the love of God, no earning salvation is necessary and no appeasement necessary.

ps God does not get offended, so i give you one guess who is.
Well, all I can say is that you seem to have the truth almost completely backwards.

As a side note, the "Beatitudes are NOT a list of rules but a description of every true Christian's character. "Blessed are they who".

Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Well, all I can say is that you seem to have the truth almost completely backwards.

As a side note, the "Beatitudes are NOT a list of rules but a description of every true Christian's character. "Blessed are they who".
No the beatitudes are not a list of rules, they are the key to the narrow way, which most do not find because they are to busy appeasing the god they believe needs appeasing(although they would deny it), passing it off as salvation.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,998,142 times
Quote:
But the grace of God as presented by Paul is not the narrow way Christ spoke of.

I do agree that God chose us before the foundation of the world. But what I do not believe is that God purposely made a "Hell" with fire in it to torture for eternity those He did not choose. That would be diabolical.

Sinner before God's throne:

Sinner: Hi
God: Hi
Sinner: So, um, why am I going to be tortured in hell for eternity?
God: Because I didn't choose you to be believing
Sinner: So who is responsible for me going to hell?
God: Me.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
No the beatitudes are not a list of rules, they are the key to the narrow way, which most do not find because they are to busy appeasing the god they believe needs appeasing(although they would deny it), passing it off as salvation.
I'm a member of a very large circle of Christian believers. I have not met one, not a single one within this group that attempts in any way to "appease God". Firstly, because of our sin it's not possible to appease God in any way at all. That is a fundamental truth of the gospel of Christ. If it were possible then Jesus died that terrible death on the cross in vain. None of our works gain us any merit at all in the sight of an entirely Holy God. That is basic Christian 101. I have to wonder what you think the reason for Christ's sacrifice on that cross is????

I used that term "Propitiation" earlier. It means exactly what you are attributing to Christian behaviours. It means, "to satisfy the anger of" in other words "to appease". In the OT, once a year the high priest entered into the Holy of Holies and sprinkled the blood of the sacrifice on the mercy seat as a propitiation for the sins of God's people. In the New covenant it's the blood of Jesus that is sprinkled directly on God's people, washing them clean from all of their sin. Jesus' sacrifice on my behalf is my propitiation. I'm washed completely clean and now and only for the sake of that propitiation can I enter into the presence of the Lord God Almighty. I now have communion with God, He calls me His child and I can call Him "My Abba Father" Daddy in other words.

Anyone trying to appease God is wasting their time. It's completely and utterly impossible to do. Jesus is my appeaser, He has done it all for me and all I have to do is to trust in that. That is why His yolk and burden is light and easy. He has done for me what I could not accomplish no matter how strenuous I strived to do so.

I thank God for my propitiation, The Lord Jesus Christ, who carries my burdens, who bore my punishment and will bring me through any and all trials and tribulations till I reach glory.

"Nothing in my hands I bring,
Only to thy cross I cling".

Old 12-18-2013, 10:00 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,514,512 times
Quote:

Anyone trying to appease God is wasting their time. It's completely and utterly impossible to do. Jesus is my appeaser, He has done it all for me and all I have to do is to trust in that. That is why His yolk and burden is light and easy. He has done for me what I could not accomplish no matter how strenuous I strived to do so.

I thank God for my propitiation, The Lord Jesus Christ, who carries my burdens, who bore my punishment and will bring me through any and all trials and tribulations till I reach glory.

"Nothing in my hands I bring,
Only to thy cross I cling".

any voice that speaks to the opposite from this is one that is in opposition to the truth and a spokesman for Satan ..... as Jesus said to those who hated him, thus fulfilling what Isaiah said.
John 8:44
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires.
He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him.
When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Matthew 13:14
In them is fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah:
“‘You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.

For this people’s heart has become calloused;
they hardly hear with their ears,
and they have closed their eyes.

Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.’ "

Last edited by twin.spin; 12-18-2013 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity