Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to call out many Catholicisim Doctrinal errors?
YES 15 26.79%
NO 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:01 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,147,542 times

Advertisements

I dont think you should bash a Catholic as a person, but anything that goes against the bible needs to be addressed if it does against scripture. Life is not about being a Christian or believing in and following any creeds, it is about believing Jesus died for your sins, repenting and trying to live your life like he did and how he commanded us to. If someone or something goes against what the bible teaches, it needs to be pointed out and corrected in Love, without name calling, or condemning someone to hell, or calling it the Beast/Anti-Christ worship.

Does the bible command us to have a Pope?

Does the bible speak against graven images?

Does the bible speak against idolatry and bowing to statues?

Doesnt the bible say only God(YHWH) can forgive sins?

Doesnt the bible say to only pray to the Father, NOT Mary?

Does the bible speak against substituting what God commands and replacing it with human traditions?

Again this is not a Catholic basing, but to really question is Catholicism (mainly RCC) following and teaching what the bible commands or making up its own rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,210,926 times
There are people on this board that tell me that my doctrine is wrong (Catholics among them). I see no reason why we can't discuss doctrinal error, whatever church or religion it is that holds to it.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM

9,693 posts, read 10,032,275 times
Got to watch out there are CD forum rules which some people have crossed in resent past and these people never came back to the forum .... Spiritually to the Lord discernment will show the spirit of antichrist likes divisions but the best answer here is just teach what you know giving no interest in what other churches are teaching or even identifying others Churches in your teaching of the gospel , Like mums the word resists this worldly spirit

Old 01-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There are people on this board that tell me that my doctrine is wrong (Catholics among them). I see no reason why we can't discuss doctrinal error, whatever church or religion it is that holds to it.

I agree, but it seems like whenever you point out blatant doctrinal errors that Catholicism teaches, it is labeled as Catholic bashing.

Point out SDA errors (alot OF EGW teachings) and they throw the Sabbath at you.
Point out Mormonism errors (alot OF Joseph Smith teachings) and they have nothing to say.

I think there are doctrinal errors in all religuos sects: mainstream Christianity, Catholicism, Mormons, JW, SDA, Messianic Jews, Hebrew Roots, but all think they are correct.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,353,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Vizio:

Your views are not incorrect. They are just different due to your condition of being a Protestant. As I said: My religious views are no better or worse than yours.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:03 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,353,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I dont think you should bash a Catholic as a person, but anything that goes against the bible needs to be addressed if it does against scripture. Life is not about being a Christian or believing in and following any creeds, it is about believing Jesus died for your sins, repenting and trying to live your life like he did and how he commanded us to. If someone or something goes against what the bible teaches, it needs to be pointed out and corrected in Love, without name calling, or condemning someone to hell, or calling it the Beast/Anti-Christ worship.

Does the bible command us to have a Pope?

Does the bible speak against graven images?

Does the bible speak against idolatry and bowing to statues?

Doesnt the bible say only God(YHWH) can forgive sins?

Doesnt the bible say to only pray to the Father, NOT Mary?

Does the bible speak against substituting what God commands and replacing it with human traditions?

Again this is not a Catholic basing, but to really question is Catholicism (mainly RCC) following and teaching what the bible commands or making up its own rules.
OK, for the 1000th time:

Your religion is based on Sola Scriptura. If not in the Bible it does not fly. I get that and see nothing wrong with your religion.

Christianity from the Catholic point of view is much more than Sola Scriptura. It includes the Bible, Sacred Oral Tradition, and the Church it self which was founded by Christ and is guided by the Holy Spirit.

Your Christianity ends with the departure of Jesus and the Apostles.

RCC Christianity is dynamic and goes on. The NT is just a synopsis of Christianity, a brochure.

I cannot believe how many folks here think their religion is better.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,210,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Vizio:

Your views are not incorrect. They are just different due to your condition of being a Protestant. As I said: My religious views are no better or worse than yours.
And I will point out that your church has declared that they are the only true church. In fact, my beliefs were anathematized by your church several centuries ago.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:14 PM

668 posts, read 691,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I agree, but it seems like whenever you point out blatant doctrinal errors that Catholicism teaches, it is labeled as Catholic bashing.

Point out SDA errors (alot OF EGW teachings) and they throw the Sabbath at you.
Point out Mormonism errors (alot OF Joseph Smith teachings) and they have nothing to say.

I think there are doctrinal errors in all religuos sects: mainstream Christianity, Catholicism, Mormons, JW, SDA, Messianic Jews, Hebrew Roots, but all think they are correct.
Well I would say that a person should believe they are in the correct religion. If they think one is no better than any other then they are not committed to anything. To point out when you believe someone or some religion is teaching incorrect doctrine that could harm someones relationship with God and you must speak out about it.

As for people judging you as bashing just remember the only people who label the truth as hate are those who hate the truth.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
OK, for the 1000th time:

Your religion is based on Sola Scriptura. If not in the Bible it does not fly. I get that and see nothing wrong with your religion.

Christianity from the Catholic point of view is much more than Sola Scriptura. It includes the Bible, Sacred Oral Tradition, and the Church it self which was founded by Christ and is guided by the Holy Spirit.

RCC Christianity is dynamic and goes on. The NT is just a synopsis of Christianity, a brochure.

I woldnt say mainstream Christianity is better than Catholicism as much of what they do is based of Catholicism anyways in regards to the holidays they celebrate, the day they worship, and couple of other things.

The couple of main questions I asked are the heart of Catholic doctrine and go against the scripture. God said to follow his word, not man made traditions. If a disaster wiped out most of man kind and the only thing left was a bible, they would follow that and not the traditions the Catholic church has passed down.

Always remember Christianity formed by allowing alot of Pagn doctirne to merge with the church in order to keep former pagans happy and make the merge to Christianity easier for them, so to say Catholicism has Sacred Oral Tradition has to make you question where some of the traditions came from.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:39 PM

33,301 posts, read 26,501,429 times
Quote:
OK, for the 1000th time:

Since you are such a staunch defender of the Roman Catholic Church and what it teaches, then how come you are a Universalist considering the fact that both the Bible and the Roman Catholic church teach eternal punishment?

Excerpt:
The Catechism of the Catholic Church states: "The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, ‘eternal fire.’ The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs" (CCC 1035).

In his 1994 book, Crossing the Threshold of Hope, Pope John Paul II wrote that too often "preachers, catechists, teachers . . . no longer have the courage to preach the threat of hell" (p. 183).

Concerning the reality of hell, the pope says, "In point of fact, the ancient councils rejected the theory . . . according to which the world would be regenerated after destruction, and every creature would be saved; a theory which abolished hell. . . . [T]he words of Christ are unequivocal. In Matthew’s Gospel he speaks clearly of those who will go to eternal punishment (cf. Matt. 25:46). [But] who will these be? The Church has never made any pronouncement in this regard" (pp. 185–6).
The Hell There Is! | Catholic Answers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity