Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it wrong to call out many Catholicisim Doctrinal errors?
YES 15 26.79%
NO 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:31 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,538,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
How does your wife feel about you dropping away from the church? Your list of why you fell away is all false beliefs. Those are not Catholic beliefs. Just because you attended Catholic schools and went to bible study doesn't mean you understand it all, you could have had uninformed teachers or not very good ones.

It seems you did not want to believe what they were teaching you anyway. The statues ARE NOT IDOLS but you continue to believe they are. It's like the teacher teaching you 2 plus 2 is 4 and you say no, it is not. Why go to school if you will not believe what the teacher is teaching? I am interested in finding the truth and I believe the Catholic church has it just like many others have, even Protestant ministers who were out to find the Church wrong but in the end had to agree and convert to it.
Quote:
Yes, all Catholic. The Catholic Church was the only Christian church so it was all put together by the Catholic Church. Not until Martin Luther came along did the bible get a rewrite and had some books thrown out but only to suit Luther's beliefs.
Quote:
The Roman Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ. The earliest Christians are the saints and martyrs of the Roman Catholic Church. Study it's history.
Janelle, I've read this same theme again and again from you and the other Roman Catholics on here, that Jesus founded the Roman Catholic Church.

Let me ask you this;are you open to reading or listening to anything that questions what you have been taught? If not, why wouldn't you? I'm not trying to lead you away from Catholicism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,538,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You sound like someone that has never been to mass.
Hi Julian,
This is the second time in less than a month, when a former Catholic makes some comment, you accuse the person of lying. Why do you choose to do that? Calling people liars shouldn't be what we're all about, not to mention it's bearing false witness-though probably to the nth degree, especially on this forum, lol.

No hard feelings, just needed to get it off my chest.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,387,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
Hi Julian,
This is the second time in less than a month, when a former Catholic makes some comment, you accuse the person of lying. Why do you choose to do that? Calling people liars shouldn't be what we're all about, not to mention it's bearing false witness-though probably to the nth degree, especially on this forum, lol.

No hard feelings, just needed to get it off my chest.
I cannot tell if there is a lie or not. And i would never accuse anyone of lying. However, his assertions are very much what one hears from persons that have never been to mass and are not Catholic. Here are some examples from the post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethim View Post
I remember reading that God said in the Bible not to pray to idols, and as I sat in a pew during a Mass, I looked at the statues up front, and wondered why we were praying to them. I was told that they weren't idols...they were images of saints.
There is no praying to statues during mass. Those are the images of men and women that lived a Jesus like life and are simply honored. Some Catholics pray to Saints and the Virgin, but this is a devotion. No different than remembering our loved ones. For example I have my father with me every day.

See the video below.

Why Do Catholics Pray to Saints? - YouTube

Quote:
The Mary thing was wrong, the priest being the mediator was wrong, and I was also told that Peter was the first Pope. That was enough!
Never heard a practicing Catholic speak like that. However, I suggest that any Catholic that thinks this way should immediately become a Bible fundamentalist. Maybe some people are better off with that religion.

Quote:
As I have progressed in my faith, I have been to many different Christian churches, but each time I go, I find problems with each one. I have learned to 'look the other way' on many things, but some of the errors are horrendous.
OTOH, this quote makes me think that perhaps he is a former catholic. Good luck in finding what he wants on Earth.

Quote:
I have an inner drive that keeps me searching for the complete truth. With all the ideas we have, God is still only going to do things in one way...it's up to us to find out what that is. No church or organization or group or person is going to show you what that is. Only Jesus through His word can do it.
This type of personality is a set up for disappointment. People like this often end up being rabid atheists.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,137,504 times
Quote:
The Roman Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ.
But see, you can't prove that, Janelle. I admire the strength of your convictions but if we all believed the Roman Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ, we'd all be Catholics. Who wouldn't want to be a part of the Church founded by Jesus Christ?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,265,451 times
Quote:
The Church is run by men and they are fallible. This idea that everything the Pope says is infallible is misinformation. He makes the same mistakes you and I make. The Pope can only be infallible when speaking from the Chair of Peter. And his words have to do with issues of faith and morality. During the entire history of the RCC the Pope has spoken from the "chair" of Peter twice. The anathema of Luther was not done from the Chair of Peter.

I only know I know nothing. However, I can see errors in the bible. And I can also see errors in the RCC.

I just told you I only know I know nothing.

You don't sound like a very good Catholic. Why are you so sure it's better than any other religion? You don't sound very confident of it.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You don't sound like a very good Catholic. Why are you so sure it's better than any other religion? You don't sound very confident of it.

It would be very foolish to assume I have all the answers and that everyone else is wrong. Vizio, we are talking about religion!!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But see, you can't prove that, Janelle. I admire the strength of your convictions but if we all believed the Roman Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ, we'd all be Catholics. Who wouldn't want to be a part of the Church founded by Jesus Christ?

From the Catechism: (please read the bold part).

Quote:
Who belongs to the Catholic Church?

838 "The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter."322 Those "who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church."323 With the Orthodox Churches, this communion is so profound "that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord's Eucharist."324
You are a catholic with little 'c' and technically your church was founded by Jesus too. But, no matter how often I cite the catechism the forum members do not seem to get it. They cite the recycled misinformation they hear from their ministers on Sundays.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
From the Catechism: (please read the bold part).

You are a catholic with little 'c' and technically your church was founded by Jesus too. But, no matter how often I cite the catechism the forum members do not seem to get it. They cite the recycled misinformation they hear from their ministers on Sundays.
And your church refers to us as "imperfect". But since you said we can't trust a thing your church says....I will take that with a grain of salt.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

Matthew 16:18-19

King James Version (KJV)

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

The above shows the origin of the catholic Church and why the Church has authority.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Matthew 16:18-19

King James Version (KJV)

18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
19 And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

The above shows the origin of the catholic Church and why the Church has authority.
Since you consider the bible to be imperfect and have errors, why would we trust Matthew 16?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity